PDA

View Full Version : Fun challenge?

Ergroilnin
07-15-2014, 03:15 PM
Okay guys,

for the time being I am just brainstorming since I am and for some time will be playing P4G but I am thinking about what could be an actually fun, enjoyable challenge?

I've played and finished the game about 6 times before, two times with Penance and one challenge run - NSGNSNCNONENNENBB which I actually posted here somewhere few months ago. This one was really nice to play, but with it being so restrictive I actually had to use walkthrough alot for required items that cannot be missed, which took a lot of fun outta it,

So now I am trying to come up with what could be a really fun challenge that doesn't require a walkthrough (like NSGNSNCNONENNENBB) and actually is fun for the whole game. First I thought about doing Rikku Only NSG and got very excited about it, but when I was thinking about strategies through the game bosses, I realized that after Calm Lands it's pretty much 4 of 9 and some multihitting items to kill everything so it lost it's charm.

Any ideas?

metagloria
07-15-2014, 03:54 PM
No MP usage.

Pumpkin
07-15-2014, 04:21 PM
Aeons only?

Sorry, I'm not a challenge person :(

Mo-Nercy
07-15-2014, 04:48 PM
NSG and Initial Equipment only, maybe?

Ergroilnin
07-15-2014, 07:31 PM
Okay while reading through various challenge faqs, I got a feeling that I don't really want to CHALLENGE myself but I came up with a set of rules which in my opinion could nicely enhance the game's difficulty and give each character a role to play while not being overly restrictive in using what the game offers.

The rules:

OSG - I can use all characters but they have to follow their respective parts of the SG according to this picture - http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/8881/ffxssg.gif . However, I won't be unlocking ANY key nodes to reach even the parts of their own grid and due to Kimahri's disadvantageous part of grid, I will also forbid myself from placing the extra stat spheres for all characters except Kimahri's. I hope this isn't too confusing explanation? Basically this means I want to balance the party a little.

NO - No overdrives at all. I thought about letting myself use all but Rikku's OP Mix but meh, why not go all the way.

NENNE - No Escapes, No No Encounter, simply I have to win every battle or die trying!

NBB - No Blitzball since it's possible to get very early overpowered stuff like Dark Matter.

IE - Initial Equipment, I will allow myself to customize abilities on them though.

APR - Aeons Partly Restricted - While I find Aeons really strong, I don't want to restrict myself of them because I really enjoy using them. But I won't be getting any extra Aeons (Yojimbo, Anima, Magus Sisters) and I won't be using any spheres to manually up their stats. For fun though I will allows myself to teach each Aeon two abilities and they have to be unique, meaning I can teach Curaga to Bahamut but then I can't teach Curaga to Valefor etc. This should make each Aeon a little more unique a thus strategic in battle.

______________________________________________________________________________________

So since it's cool to make a really long name for the challenge (as seen with NSGNSNCNONENNENBB), mine "challenge" name would be OSGNONENNENBBIEAPR :D.

I understand that this is VERY specific set of rules that won't probably appeal to anyone else than me but since I started the thread, I might as well post my idea for the people interested right?

Any comments on these rules?

Also even though I think I will go with what I just made up, I am still very open to your suggestions!

Mo-Nercy
07-16-2014, 12:16 AM
Sounds fun. The No Overdrive aspect and Initial Equipment makes it a challenge but allowing use of the Sphere Grid means you won't be hitting the reset button every 15 minutes.

Mirage
07-16-2014, 12:22 AM
No key spheres, no overdrives, initial equipment (customization allowed), no SG tampering (clearing or adding nodes), clear all optional bosses (or do as many as you can and tell us how far you got), no aeons

Ergroilnin
07-24-2014, 10:19 AM
So I am slowly preparing for my playthrough and I will be doing what I stated in my older post but I figured I can make one more twist to make it interesting. I'll be playing on expert sphere grid and I want to switch characters jobs on the OSG (meaning like Auron will move to Lulu's grid not activating anything on the way and make her grid his own etc.). I wonder what would be best way to opposite characters on the grid?

The OSG ESG look like this:

http://s28.postimg.org/ilmx6bard/ffxesg.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/ilmx6bard/)

I was thinking about:

Auron taking Lulu's grid
Lulu taking Wakka's grid
Wakka taking Yuna's grid
Yuna taking Auron's grid
Rikku taking Tidus's grid
Kimahri taking Rikku's grid
and lastly Tidus taking Kimahri's grid

What do you think?

Also the worst thing is always with the Kimahri's grid because he basically has none but I don't know what would be a good way to make of it. People usually sent the character to one path and follow it but I don't want to have two characters same, any idea what would be a good solution?

metagloria
07-24-2014, 01:02 PM
Why stratify it by path? Stratify it into seven vertical layers and make your characters jump around to fill it in.

Ergroilnin
07-24-2014, 01:18 PM
Uh you mean like if I divided the grid like this:

http://s13.postimg.org/y4tu3reeb/adadsf.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/y4tu3reeb/)

where each panel is one characters abilities?

Sounds interesting but it would make seriously characters unbalanced considering there are much less spheres on some parts not to mention it would be crazy without key lock spheres that I don't plan on using.

metagloria
07-24-2014, 03:48 PM
Uh you mean like if I divided the grid like this:

http://s13.postimg.org/y4tu3reeb/adadsf.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/y4tu3reeb/)

where each panel is one characters abilities?

Sounds interesting but it would make seriously characters unbalanced considering there are much less spheres on some parts not to mention it would be crazy without key lock spheres that I don't plan on using.
yyyyyyyup. sure, characters would be unbalanced, but you wanted a challenge, didn't you? and i'd think if you did decide to pursue this, you could make an allowance for key spheres when required (you could still choose to skip optional branches if you wanted to).

Ergroilnin
07-24-2014, 03:54 PM
Well thanks for the suggestion I won't go that way this playthrough since I want to have balanced characters but it sure does sound interesting, I'll keep that one in reserve for future playthroughs.

Bubba
07-24-2014, 06:27 PM
I'm currently attempting the "I don't own the game" challenge.

I'm not gonna lie... progress is slow.

Christmas
07-24-2014, 06:31 PM

Selling your PS 4 for some cash will hasten the progress. :bigsmile:

Bubba
07-24-2014, 10:58 PM

Selling your PS 4 for some cash will hasten the progress. :bigsmile:

Are you making me an offer?

Colonel Angus
07-25-2014, 01:06 AM
For IE, are you using the long sword Auron gives Tidus in Zanarkand or do you just consider that as a "practice" sword & use Brotherhood?

Ergroilnin
07-25-2014, 07:29 AM
I would probably keep the brotherhood as I perceive IE more like "never open equipment window", I also don't like how long sword looks and it's not really always that brotherhood is stronger. Lots of monsters and more importantly bosses halves the water element so I think it's fine.