PDA

View Full Version : Divinity: Original Sin

Spuuky
07-16-2014, 12:53 AM
Why aren't you playing this game?

Larian has ascended to the short list of studios I trust, with their entire handling of this game's development and the final product they ended up with. It is the kind of game that old, grizzled gamers are talking about when they talk about how games aren't made like they used to be. This one is! Except it's also modernized.

It's really great, and the fact that you have two legitimate full main characters (with a supporting co-op mode which works really well) is fantastic.

Bolivar
07-16-2014, 02:30 AM
Everything I see and hear about this game is fantastic. I just wish there was some kind of bogo deal on it as it seems like it would be great to play coop with your significant other.

Araciel
07-16-2014, 05:02 AM
Super duper. The ability to make my own content is a good thing I just haven't played around with it enough yet to see if it's another nwn toolset.

Dr Unne
07-16-2014, 08:35 AM
I've been having a blast. Co-op works great. My one gripe is the dialogue handling for co-op. The chat log scrolls off the screen too fast when every fishmonger in town is adding 5 lines to the log every 10 seconds, and the filter options are bad. My spouse and I have resorted to reading all of the dialogue aloud over voice chat, which is pretty sad.

Otherwise, it's pretty amazing. I read reviews about how there's so~ much~ freedom~~, but it's pretty true. The game doesn't stop you from murdering everyone, robbing houses, bartering with random townsfolk, busting doors down, killing people in inventive ways using the environment. The game looks great and sounds great. Battles are simple but they flow well and there's lots of room for tactics. It's pretty much modern-day Baldur's Gate. Better in some ways, and that's high praise.

I actually tried to get BG2 working last week and set it up for co-op, and it was bad. I didn't realize how badly the interface on those games has aged. I literally had to quit because it was giving me a stress headache from squinting. This after I applied a bunch of mods to allow modern resolutions and increase the font size. How fortunate that Divinity showed up just in time.

Vyk
07-31-2014, 03:40 AM
Everything I see and hear about this game is fantastic. I just wish there was some kind of bogo deal on it as it seems like it would be great to play coop with your significant other.
GOG sells it DRM free, so you can put it on a flash drive and give it to whoever. They appreciate the money, but they understand people in these situations

As for the dialog issues in co-op. It is rather backwards in its implimentation. Though I've taken to just leaving the chat windows on either corner of the screen turned off and whenever my partner initiates conversation, I open up the quest log stuff, there's a tab for dialog, and you can watch it/read it in real-time. As long as the person doesn't read a lot faster than you and skip ahead super fast it's pretty handy

I completely love this game. The co-op is fantastic. The world is pretty stellar. The combat is super enjoyable and fairly deep. It all just reminds me of something like Baldur's Gate having a baby with XCOM: Enemy Unknown or something

It scratches all sorts of itches. I've been looking for a good SRPG that lets you travel around and explore towns and dungeons. The only ones that exist are Shining Force as far as I know. I was waiting for Japan to give me a good Japanese SRPG experience like that. Now there's a CRPG that does it. SCRPG lol

It also scratches that Co-op itch. It's a fantastic game to play with a good friend, or a significant other. My girlfriend and I have been playing this pretty non-stop for a few days now and can't get enough. We were unfortunately to underestimate the intelligence and compitence and abilities of the enemies though, and we weren't gearing up battle-hardened characters. We put stuff in crafting and blacksmithing and stuff. So our battle-readiness is a little low and we got wrecked for a long while. Even put it on easy, which is a really well made "easy" mode. It still doesn't insult you for going easy. It just tweaks the dice rolls a bit is pretty much all from what I can tell

And finally. It most definitely scratches that itch I have for a good CRPG while waiting for Pillars of Eternity and the new Planescape games coming out. This is a fantastic game that can speak to people who are fans of many varieties of games and I think most PC RPG gamers owe it to themselves to give it a try

Spuuky
07-31-2014, 05:31 AM
I actually don't mind the dialogue issue personally; I was co-oping in the same room, so for any conversation I wanted to see, I just looked at their screen while it was happening. But obviously, that solution doesn't work for everyone.

Vyk
07-31-2014, 06:01 AM
I don't know the circumstances behind it, but with my girlfriend's game we're playing, anytime she'd enter conversation with a story character and I was in the room, it'd default to letting me handle the conversation even though she was the one who initiated it. It's a little backwards in that regard

Random note, but one other thing I love is that the game saves via profiles much like BioWare games. And it has a good assortment of auto-saves, much like Skyrim. That way you can have your co-op game, and your personal game separate without any risk of accidentally overwriting one, because they're on separate profiles. How I WISH Bethesda would impliment this sort of thing in their games. Never actually happened, but I've always ALMOST overwrote games in Fallout and Elder Scrolls games when playing multiple characters