PDA

View Full Version : If you had a time-machine, where would you go?

MissH
07-16-2014, 07:35 PM
If you had a time-machine, where would you go? Would you re-live a moment in your own life? Or maybe go back to a moment in history? Or maybe to see what your future would hold?

If I was allowed endless travels, I would love to do all of the above. However,if I were allowed just one trip, I would go back in time to when I was a little girl. I'd go back to Christmas eve late at night, when I used to climb into bed with my Grandma and she'd cuddle me and tell me stories and tell me how wonderful I was. I loved that woman so much and miss her every day.

So my question to you is: what would you do?

Jess
07-16-2014, 07:57 PM
If I had just one trip, I would save it. If something bad happened to somebody I love and care about, then I would use it to try and prevent that thing from happening. Or I could use it to spend one more day with a loved one.

I don't think I'd want to see my own future. What if it was terrible? I wouldn't want to know. Then the rest of my life would be spent miserable, building up to that moment in time and every decision would be made in an attempt to desperately try and change the future!

Pike
07-16-2014, 08:03 PM
The early 1980s.

I would take a boombox down to the arcade and turn Ultravox to max while I played vidya.

Madame Adequate
07-16-2014, 08:04 PM
I'd go to the future, get all cyber'd up, and then go re-live the 1980s over and over and over forever.

Pike
07-16-2014, 08:04 PM
I'd go to the future, get all cyber'd up, and then go re-live the 1980s over and over and over forever.

Wait I'm changing my answer to this.

Pumpkin
07-16-2014, 08:10 PM
1950's

Freya
07-16-2014, 09:02 PM
As a women, going back in time could be really bad for me, sadly.

So forward I go! I want to see flying things! And aliens!

metagloria
07-16-2014, 09:08 PM
I'd go see my girlfriend who died of cancer 9 years ago again. Probably try to take her somewhere we never went.

escobert
07-16-2014, 09:49 PM
Anytime that I could go claim some land for myself and say smurf you to everyone else.

Mahad
07-16-2014, 10:01 PM
I would travel to the future, check out what gaming was like. I'll like to try out one of them VRMMOs out. I'll like to see what space travel is like, where the aliens live, what the Deatstar looks like irl, see if they did bring back the dinosaurs or a new dinosaur planet, may be they engineered dragons and unicorns. So much good stuff that could happen.

Pheesh
07-16-2014, 11:10 PM
Pretty boring answer, but I'd probably just use it to go back in time and bet on things I know the outcome for and get rich.

Formalhaut
07-16-2014, 11:26 PM
Pretty boring answer, but I'd probably just use it to go back in time and bet on things I know the outcome for and get rich.

This. It sounds greedy, but you know.

After I have the money, I'd then use the machine to travel through time. Go on adventures. Go see things with my friends and SO, but I don't think I would alter history, just observe it. The past is the past. No trying to save people or alter history. As for the future? I'm not sure. Sometimes I'd rather not know about it!

Colonel Angus
07-16-2014, 11:46 PM
I'd go back moments before the start of game 6 of the 2003 NLCS & break Mark Prior's arm.

blackmage_nuke
07-17-2014, 01:54 AM
Assuming this form of time travel creates new universes with each instance so as to deny paradoxes I would go to peak of humanity in the future and see the state of imortality research and bring it back to the present (or the past) so they could advance the tech from there. Then go to the future again and bring back the imortality research, rinse and repeat until it is perfected, make myself imortal, go back and stop myself from doing the research loop so i am the only imortal, then time travel forever on endless adventures.

Assuming I have to avoid paradoxes and/or only have one trip just make a lot of money on the lottery or facebook stocks

Unbreakable Will
07-17-2014, 03:14 AM
I'd love to go back to the late 1940's and become a cop, I blame L.A. Noire, but I absolutely love the suits and the style of language.

Rocket Edge
07-17-2014, 10:28 AM
Definitely the future. We could be living on a different solar system among alien races and be genetically immortal. Time travel could possibly be run of the mill that far into the future anyway. Who wouldn't want to experience that?

Mo-Nercy
07-17-2014, 11:05 AM
Well I wouldn't want to smurf anything I've got going good for me in the present (assuming that is the type of time travel being presented here), so I wouldn't go too far back.. Maybe just one hand of blackjack at a time.

Christmas
07-17-2014, 02:27 PM
Pass it to him (http://img.dubbedanimeonline.tv/630.jpg) and save my ancestor.

o_O
07-18-2014, 12:47 AM
A very specific sequence of events.

1. First, travel to the future until I reach a time at which humanity has harnessed invisibility cloaking technology (the real deal, not this "coat-made-of-tv-screens nonsense), shrink/growth rays, teleportation, portable pocket dimensions and Iron Man exoskeletons.
2. Travel back in time to the birth of the solar system and begin travelling forward through the eons, observing stuff (the oxygen generated by the suit will keep me alive).
3. Observe the creation of the moon.
4. Observe Mars for any sign of water and/or life.
5. Observe the dinosaurs, using the iron man cannons for protection.
6. Observe the birth of humanity.
7. How did they really build the pyramids.
8. Have a gander at all the major wars throughout the centuries.
9. Pirates. Were they really like the books?
10. What happened to MH370?
11. Travel about the universe with the teleportation device and have a look at exoplanets and try to find life.
12. Shrink myself with the shrink ray and see whether string theory is an actual thing.
13. Go back in time to the big bang and see if there was anything before it (luckily I have a pocket dimension for protection (note: will need pretty good sunglasses)).
14. Grow really big and see if other universes really exist and if they do, what's in between them.
15. Armed with this knowledge, travel back to the present time and teleport around professional football games, pulling players' pants down on worldwide TV every time they dive.

Ayen
07-18-2014, 01:16 AM
If you had a time-machine, where would you go?

Wherever the wind takes me.

Would you re-live a moment in your own life?

No. Can't cross my own time stream.

Or maybe go back to a moment in history?

Lots of moments in history to see: ancient Egypt, ancient Rome, medieval, the renaissance, dem colonies.

Or maybe to see what your future would hold?

I know a wonderful underwater base in California in the 23rd Century.

I would go anywhere and everywhere, preferably with a companion. It gets lonely traveling all of time and space.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
07-18-2014, 01:32 AM
On a related note,

For Chrono series fans, there's a bunch of excellent theories and observations about time travel and how it plays into the games at the Chrono Compendium.

"Should you be able to visit the Robo who's plowing the fields in 600 AD with the Robo from the future?" and that type of stuff.

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Principles_of_Time_and_Dimensional_Travel.html

Psychotic
07-18-2014, 06:47 AM
The future, but not too far. Maybe one or two hundred years maximum. Too far and, well, look, nothing lasts forever. That includes humanity. You don't want to end up in the middle of whatever it is that ends humanity! That might not be for thousands of years but who knows. Doesn't sound like a hoot.

Yamaneko
07-20-2014, 02:30 AM
I'd go back and stop Schrödinger from killing/not killing his cat.

Alive-Cat
07-22-2014, 05:55 AM
I think in any context I'd go back to about 2003 or something and make sure I didn't waste time and started persuing my dreams then. Like I'd go back and have a long talk with my 11 year old self, or if my mind from right now would go back into my body of that time then I'd just live it all again from there. That would be preferable. I'd do a much better job! :greenie: