PDA

View Full Version : Which RPG should I play next?

Wolf Kanno
07-18-2014, 08:03 AM
Trying to go through my backlog lately. I am currently working on Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army as well as Shin Megami Tensei 1. So from this list, which should I start next?

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Star Ocean 1
Bravery Default
Deus Ex (first one)
Knights of the Old Republic
Mass Effect 3
Tales of Symphonia
Skies of Arcadia
Pandora's Tower
Digital Devil Saga 1 (plan to restart and finish this time)
Dragon Quest IX
Children of Mana
Seiken Denetsu 3

Ayen
07-18-2014, 09:05 AM
I've heard nothing but good things about Bravely Default, but I also haven't actually played Bravely Default, so I don't feel right recommending it. Knights of the Old Republic's battle system is kind of dated and not the most exciting, but is still fun, and while Mass Effect 3 has some story woes (and I don't mean the ending) the overall gameplay is still enjoyable. Be forewarned, if you enjoy the story elements more than the action in ME, 3 tends to be more action oriented.

Christmas
07-18-2014, 12:49 PM
Knights of the Old Republic

http://media.giphy.com/media/RS26SZVbcRjy0/giphy.gif

Pete for President
07-18-2014, 02:27 PM
Dark Souls. I know it's not on the list but it is the true path.

Pike
07-18-2014, 05:15 PM
Deus Ex.

Rez09
07-18-2014, 07:00 PM
If that's the remake of Star Ocean 1, which I'm assuming it is, and you are a fan of the series, I'd go with that one.

Otherwise, I'd throw my vote in for Bravely Default.

Pumpkin
07-18-2014, 07:02 PM
Tales of Symphonia because then I can ask you things when I play it :3:

Wolf Kanno
07-18-2014, 10:23 PM
Dark Souls. I know it's not on the list but it is the true path.

I promised myself I wouldn't play Dark Souls until I finished Demon's Souls of which I screwed up a bit in the game (got rid of some great equipment on accident) and continue to debate whether I want to start the game completely over or just stick it out cause I've already gained too many levels and overcome too many headaches to start from scratch. I love the difficulty but a lack of free time to properly dedicate myself to it as well as the fact I still find it frustrating at times means my progress is rather slow.

Deus Ex.

I am leaning towards this due to being in a cyberpunk mood. That and I've been playing so many JRPGs it will be nice to switch up to a Western style game.

If that's the remake of Star Ocean 1, which I'm assuming it is, and you are a fan of the series, I'd go with that one.

Otherwise, I'd throw my vote in for Bravely Default.

It is the PSP remake and while I am not a huge fan of the series, I still like it enough to give it a shot. I'm afraid to play BP cause I poured so much time and effort into the demo version that I can only imagine what the full version would do to me.

LMAO

jodymcdougle
07-19-2014, 01:11 AM
if you haven't tried it yet, I would suggest Secret of Mania. I'm a retro-gamer though. maybe you could tell me which I should try out too...?

WHOOPS just read that my title wasn't on the list. I would try Star Ocean because it's a game that I almost picked up!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_of_Mana

Spuuky
07-19-2014, 02:23 AM
Before I clicked on the thread, my instinctive response (for whatever reason) was Lufia 2.

But if you insist on one from the list, I guess SD3.

Del Murder
07-19-2014, 02:39 AM
Yeah just play Lufia 2.

Wolf Kanno
07-19-2014, 02:45 AM
I've already played Lufia 2, several times in fact. Hell I convinced The White Wizard of Fynn to do a Let's Play about it. (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/156303-Let-s-Play-Lufia-II-Rise-of-the-Sinistrals!)

Christmas
07-19-2014, 02:58 AM
The puzzles in Lufia 2 hurt my head. :(

Then again, I was freaking young back then when I played it. :bigsmile:

Araciel
07-19-2014, 03:24 AM
Play KOTOR. It's so good. Though it's been quite some time since I played..

Jessweeee♪
07-19-2014, 04:01 AM
Go for Mass Effect 3! The story isn't nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be so after this long of hearing everyone whine about it you'll probably be pleasantly surprised. Also it's really fun to be a Vanguard and play opposite of how the game tells you to play. "Don't get too close to a Brute because they can kill you in one hit? Ok what if I do get close and use Charge to sort of ping pong back and forth between two of them that should be fine right?"

Colonel Angus
07-19-2014, 04:06 AM
Tactics Ogre

Pike
07-24-2014, 05:34 PM
Play KOTOR. It's so good. Though it's been quite some time since I played..

It's quite good, but it's not as good as Deus Ex.

Dat Matt
07-24-2014, 08:34 PM

I played it to death as a teen, so I could fill in some points for you if need be. I really like the tales of series.

That being said, Shauna played the game recently, and I went through the entire game explaining how I pretty much hated all the characters and dungeons. So much so that we had finished the game and I hadn't found anything i like in the last 10 or so dungeons. Nostalgia is a funny thing.