PDA

View Full Version : What is the hardest game you ever played?

Wolf Kanno
07-18-2014, 08:11 AM
Whether you beat it or ran away with your tail between your legs, which game do you consider to be one of the hardest things you ever played?

Ayen
07-18-2014, 08:33 AM
It's a tie between Spelunky and Dark Souls. I'm almost certain I have played games that were harder, but these are the only two I can remember off the top of my head. I wasn't able to beat either.

Pike
07-18-2014, 10:21 AM
X-Com: UFO Defense

Also Civ IV on the highest difficulty level. Ahahaha that one did not go very well.

Fynn
07-18-2014, 10:29 AM
Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call, maybe? Never managed to beat that one.

Oh, and Diablo II, but that was just cheap and unfair. The final boss just throws away what you know about the game out the window. Smurf that guy.

Loony BoB
07-18-2014, 10:33 AM
Civ on high difficulty is essentially something I see as an impossibility, and don't even consider.

Beyond that... hmm. Bayonetta, because I suck with QTE's, perhaps. Actually it wasn't hard, more just frustrating. Hard games aren't very common these days. I suppose I could point to games like Pacman and Tetris which are impossible to win but some people can do so much better at them than I can. And playing Hotline Miami was addictive despite how tricky it could be. It's definitely doable, if only because each level is actually really, really short, but the amount of times I had to attempt some of the levels was excessive. xD

Hardest learning curve? X3. I just couldn't figure out what I was to do and/or how I was supposed to do it. With Dwarf Fortress at least I had fun deciphering it. With X3 it was just frustrating.

Pike
07-18-2014, 10:36 AM
games like Pacman and Tetris which are impossible to win

I'd say the Pac-Man kill screen is generally considered a win among high score chasers!

Ergroilnin
07-18-2014, 11:48 AM
Hmm personally that would be Shin Megami Tensei DDS1+2 I guess. I always wanted to try Nocturne as well but never got my hands on copy.

Christmas
07-18-2014, 12:36 PM
http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Flappy-Bird-MMO.jpg

Mo-Nercy
07-18-2014, 12:45 PM
Probably Contra. Also any FPS can be considered hard in my books

metagloria
07-18-2014, 04:28 PM
Not even kidding you:

Even if you DO get past Gonzo's space level (you won't), the final boss level is virtually unwinnable.

Pumpkin
07-18-2014, 04:31 PM
So far its a tie between Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together and Fire Emblem: Awakening

Jibril
07-18-2014, 04:52 PM
i don't know why this is a discussion because the only answer is battletoads

Shauna
07-18-2014, 04:52 PM
Hmmm. SMT games can be brutal if you make a wrong move - in P4 I was almost finished with the final boss when I didn't guard one turn when I meant to, and that was it. It was over. Had to do it all again. Bayonetta is also pretty unforgiving, and I never had trouble with the QTEs but damn was I just not skilled enough at it. The Disgaea games have a ridiculous curve too.

Basically I am not too great at video games okay.

TrollHunter
07-18-2014, 04:55 PM
Hmmm.... dark souls definitely changed the way I looked at games, but at least I was able to beat that.

Now, serious sam 1 is a game that Im not sure I'll ever be able to best. It just gets way too crazy later on in the game for me to handle.

LunarWeaver
07-18-2014, 05:29 PM

Bolivar
07-18-2014, 06:02 PM
Probably an NES or Genesis game that barely made its way past QA.

Most recently Dragon Age Origins on PC. The amount of micromanaging I needed to do for some battles was insane. I might've been doing things in a weird order, making it harder on myself. I opened up my laptop one day and thought whether I should keep going in Dragon Age or check out Oblivion. I made one of the best decisions in my gaming life that day.

Ultima Shadow
07-18-2014, 06:06 PM
Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism on Normal, Hard or Lunatic (plus the Extra stage.)

I know a guy who beat it over a weekend. Same guy has struggled with the SA Extra Stage for months. :greenie:

Scotty_ffgamer
07-18-2014, 06:54 PM
I don't really know what the hardest game I've played is. The hardest game I've beaten would probably be Batman on NES. That stuff gets pretty insane by the end, and that Joker fight took me forever.

Spooniest
07-19-2014, 03:28 PM
Hardest game I've ever beaten would probably be Ninja Gaiden on the NES.

Hardest game I've ever played? That's a tough one...the only FPS I've ever beaten was Goldeneye on the N64. I tried playing Doom but it was too hard for me.

The difficulty of a game depends on the player who is playing it. Some people are good at FPS's, some are better at a standard action game like Mario. I've noticed an increasing trend towards violent, gritty FPS's as time has worn on, and it really puts me off my soup, because I dislike a) graphic violence and b) FPS control schemes.

Bubba
07-19-2014, 03:39 PM
Hmmm, definitely an old school game. Something for the SNES probably so either UN Squadron or Super Ghouls and Ghosts. I've always wanted to try Ghosts and Goblins on the NES just to see if it's as hard as people say it is.

Scotty_ffgamer
07-19-2014, 04:42 PM
Ghosts and Goblins is pretty crazy. I definitely have an easier time with Super Ghouls and Ghosts. It could just be because Super Ghouls and Ghosts is just better designed though. Either way, they're both hard.

AssassinDX
07-19-2014, 04:45 PM
Hardest learning curve? X3. I just couldn't figure out what I was to do and/or how I was supposed to do it. With Dwarf Fortress at least I had fun deciphering it. With X3 it was just frustrating.

Agreed, although I followed a really good tutorial on YouTube and at least now I know how to trade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p73C60btBi8&index=1&list=PL2BC4835802365FF1

I'm ashamed to admit to this day I cannot complete the Timon and Pumba level on The Lion King game, this topic has inspired me to give it another go though.

black orb
07-19-2014, 09:18 PM
>>> Super Mario Bros..:luca:

Ayen
07-20-2014, 12:19 AM
I'm ashamed to admit to this day I cannot complete the Timon and Pumba level on The Lion King game, this topic has inspired me to give it another go though.

I didn't even GET to the Timon and Pumba level on The Lion King game, assuming you're talking about the one that came out on Sega and such. Pocahontas was pretty freaking hard, too. Oh, and "A Bug's Life" for the PS One. I hated that game so much.

Dr Unne
07-20-2014, 01:36 AM
BIT.TRIP Runner. The first one. Try it on Perfect mode. I dare you.

jodymcdougle
07-20-2014, 05:40 AM
shadowgate

Karifean
07-20-2014, 05:48 PM
Hardest Game I've ever beaten is probably Battletoads. Although it's not even so much a difficult game than it is a test of memorization. I know the game by heart now and could beat it anytime without breaking a continue.

There is Kaizo Mario 1, which I played until the midway point of Stage 3. I never beat the second half. I might try again someday.

Formalhaut
07-20-2014, 06:08 PM
The Dynasty Warriors series on the hardest difficulty is pretty brutal, especially Dynasty Warriors 4. I don't know why, that game was more hard than the others!

Depression Moon
07-20-2014, 06:20 PM
From recent memory Advance Wars.

krissy
07-20-2014, 06:31 PM
starfighter
the last set of 20 levels is impossible

The Space Pope
07-20-2014, 06:32 PM

Dunno about all that, Super Ghouls and Ghosts could give Battletoads a run for its money. Then again I only had a problem with Battletoads on that one 'race' level. bleh

Rocket Edge
07-21-2014, 10:08 AM
Dungeon Keeper 1 or Caesar 3 for PC.

sharkythesharkdogg
07-21-2014, 06:16 PM
Lots of good ones here. My personal ones that I have suffered through (gladly) were; Super Ghosts n Ghouls, BattleToads, XCOM: Enemy Within, Contra: Shattered Soldier, Castle Shikigami 2, the original Prince of Persia, the whole Capcom WWII vertical shooter series, the Gradius series, The Adams Family: Fester's Quest. Even some levels in the Donkey Kong Country series could be tough. Freaking bramble scramble!

I'm sure there are others. As for the most difficult, that's hard. The first one that comes to mind is maybe on of the R-Type games? Those were brutal.

Honorable mention to the first Resident Evil remake on the Gamecube. The first game was pretty freaking hard, but when they added Crimson Heads........ugh.

Christmas
08-05-2022, 05:52 AM
http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Flappy-Bird-MMO.jpg

Yes, fuck this game. Fuck the birds and pipes! :mad2:

Example
08-25-2022, 01:04 PM
God Hand. I love this game but god dam is it brutal.