PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Legacy [UPDATE: Coming to Sony systems July 29]

Pike
07-18-2014, 10:35 AM
I started playing this game recently and I'm quite enjoying it. It's a rather unforgiving roguelike-inspired platform game, in fact I'd say it's like a 2-D Dark Souls except it's actually fun to play :shobon:

I originally started playing it because I thought the idea of having characters with genetic "traits" sounded interesting, unfortunately that part is more gimmicky than I thought it would be but it's still fun regardless.

Has anyone else played this? It's super addicting.

Dr Unne
07-18-2014, 10:38 AM
It is addicting. I think they could've done more with the inheritance system. Pretty much you get a random roll of stats every time you start over. It would've been cool to actually inherit something from your parents. The game was also a grindfest, not even taking into account newgame+. Did you think the controls were good? I thought they were too floaty. Some of the platforming sections felt impossible because of the controls.

Still a fun game. I dumped a lot of hours into it. Roguelike + platformer = take my money.

Sephex
07-18-2014, 10:43 AM
Played it and beat it (main game) months ago. I was made aware of it through the Steam Train portion of the Game Grumps YouTube channel.

I usually don't get into games with such a heavy risk/reward factor, but I feel this game pulled it off without the risk part feeling too unfair while the rewards part felt satisfying if you accomplished whatever it was you set out to do. The traits, types of characters, and general options made a game that seems repetitive have a lot of variety.

Rez09
07-18-2014, 03:45 PM
Comically, I downloaded the demo for the game a good while before it was released and maxed out everything, then, when the game came out, I lost interest before I finished it. The game was fun, but I was suffering from some serious burnout, and I haven't picked it back up again.

Pike
07-18-2014, 06:38 PM
It is addicting. I think they could've done more with the inheritance system. Pretty much you get a random roll of stats every time you start over. It would've been cool to actually inherit something from your parents. The game was also a grindfest, not even taking into account newgame+. Did you think the controls were good? I thought they were too floaty. Some of the platforming sections felt impossible because of the controls.

I agree 100% with the inheritance system. I would have loved to see it done more in depth.

So far I'm fine with the controls, but then I don't think I'm anywhere close to beating this game, so my opinion might be subject to change!

Slothy
07-18-2014, 07:32 PM
Never had a problem with the controls. I think they were damn near perfect for the game to be honest.

Bolivar
07-18-2014, 08:02 PM
I might be getting it soon as it's coming out at the end of the month with cross-buy/cross-save on PlayStation platforms (the same day as The Last of Us Remastered). The devs said they originally made the game with the Vita in mind so I'm kinda intrigued to see how this port works out.

How grindy is it? I heard you need to play a couple generations to build up enough money to make decent headway through the game.

Pike
07-18-2014, 08:31 PM
It's pretty grindy. The first couple hours are definitely a lot of work.

Slothy
07-18-2014, 09:28 PM
You have to grind, but I feel like grinding has negative connotations that don't really apply for this game. That there's some skill to the game and that you not only gain stats, but get better at the game, makes it a much more enjoyable experience than simply grinding in most RPG's.

Pike
07-19-2014, 12:38 AM
Yeah, it's a grind, but it's a pretty fun grind.

Pete for President
07-19-2014, 09:40 AM
Balding...

A lot of tiny things make me love this game.

Pike
07-19-2014, 10:16 AM
I love the trait called "The One" which makes things look all cyberpunk.

Mercen-X
07-21-2014, 05:08 AM
I read the title and instantly thought "God, I hope this is a sequel to Rogue Galaxy."

Pike
07-24-2014, 05:28 PM
I had to DuckDuckGo Rogue Galaxy just now in order to learn what it even was :| I have never heard of it before!

Rez09
07-24-2014, 07:11 PM
It was really good. :)

Del Murder
07-27-2014, 07:46 PM
Is this available on handheld? It sounds fun.

Pike
07-27-2014, 08:01 PM
Is this available on handheld? It sounds fun.

You're in luck! It looks like a Vita release is happening in just a few days! http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/9/5885011/rogue-legacy-release-date-ps3-ps4-vita

Del Murder
07-27-2014, 08:55 PM
Nice.

Dr Unne
07-28-2014, 12:04 AM
This has to be the perfect game for handheld. You can pick it up, run into the dungeon and die, all in a few minutes.

Bolivar
07-28-2014, 05:22 AM

They made it a part of Play 2014, where you get credit for pre-ordering more than one game and they're cheaper for PS+ members. A lot of people are touting this as one of the best Play promotions they've done yet and every game will be cross-buy among PS4, PS3 and Vita. I'm going to grab this and Hohokum, as that's the next Santa Monica game in the line of Journey, Flower, etc.

Hoping this will complement The Last of Us nicely on Tuesday. If it's as good as everyone's touting, it should be nice to play the same save back and forth between PS4 and Vita.