PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a PS3!

Psychotic
07-18-2014, 04:11 PM
Picked up a second one hand from one of Faris's many contacts for a nice £40. Obviously I'm fashionably late to the party. What games would you recommend to me? Keep in mind I do have an Xbox 360 and thus I probably have most of the multi-platform titles. Thank you!

Also please go ahead and add me to your friends list. I'm SomeSortOfWalrus. I'd love to have any and all EoFFers as a friend :)

Freya
07-18-2014, 04:17 PM
Oh I haven't even done it. I'm planning on picking a used one up myself soon.

Play FFX HD! And KH 1.5!

Also the Uncharted games.

Sephiroth
07-18-2014, 04:18 PM
You can add me if you want. I will guide you through the confusing world of the PS3.

jodymcdougle
07-18-2014, 04:25 PM
Psychotic, I've got to get one too! they aren't as expensive as they were and I can rack up on some good titles without spending a lot of money! I'm late too, but I'm strongly considering purchasing one soon! my wife and son got me a WiiU over the holidays and it rocks, but there just aren't enough titles on it. plus, no final fantasy...?

Pumpkin
07-18-2014, 04:28 PM
All of the games!

I'm enjoying Tales of Xillia right now! Atelier Meruru is a cute game. I like Ni No Kuni a lot but haven't finished it yet!

Hmm I haven't played most of my PS3 games so that's what I can recommend for now!

Bolivar
07-18-2014, 04:52 PM
I think you should start with Uncharted 2, God of War III, and Killzone 2, they're likely all cheap at this point. Might also want to keep your eye on PSN sales as those are starting to get really good.

Depression Moon
07-18-2014, 04:53 PM
Let's see here.

Uncharted 1, 2, & 3
If you didn't have it for PS2, God of War Collection
Dragon's Crown
LittleBigPlanet 1 & 2
Okami HD
Dead Nation
Super Stardust HD
Persona 4 Arena
The Last of Us

Shauna
07-18-2014, 04:59 PM
I hear The Last of Us is pretty stellar. Not that I've played it.

When Matt and I got a PS3 we trawled through the list of PS3 exclusives and picked up things that interested us from there.

Also I added you as a friend. Now we can be friends on PSN and never play any games together, just like XBL!

TrollHunter
07-18-2014, 05:13 PM
Hmmm...

Ratchet and Clannk ToD/CiT
Demon's Souls
Disgaea 3/4/D2
Disgae hour of darkness/disgaea 2 (ps2 digital download)
Infamous 1/2
God Hand (ps2 digital download)
Shadow of the Colossus/Ico (Ps2 digital download)
Persona 3 FES (Ps2 digital download)
Persona 4 (Ps2 digital download)
Also, any of the Shin Megami Tensei games in general if you're looking for some intense RPG insanity. (Ps2/Psx digital download)

I think you're noticing a trend here. The PS3 has an awesome shop full of classic games you really should dig through. There are a ton of gems in there for fairly cheap.
There are so many good PS3 exclusives though, it's pretty absurd. I'm probably forgetting about a ton of games that I love as well because I just woke up.

Shauna
07-18-2014, 05:18 PM
Just throwing it out there - I am pretty sure half the list of the digital downloads in TrollHunter's list are not available on the EU PSN Store.

TrollHunter
07-18-2014, 05:37 PM
Just throwing it out there - I am pretty sure half the list of the digital downloads in TrollHunter's list are not available on the EU PSN Store.

Oh my that is incredibly sad.

Mirage
07-18-2014, 06:24 PM
Hmmm...

Demon's Souls
Disgaea 3/4/D2
Infamous 1/2
Also, any of the Shin Megami Tensei games in general if you're looking for some intense RPG insanity. (Ps2/Psx digital download)

I think you're noticing a trend here. The PS3 has an awesome shop full of classic games you really should dig through. There are a ton of gems in there for fairly cheap.
There are so many good PS3 exclusives though, it's pretty absurd. I'm probably forgetting about a ton of games that I love as well because I just woke up.

A lot of those are not available as PS2 downloads in europe. Also, none of the PS2 Classics on PSN are altered in any way from the original PS2 games, so if you've played them on the PS2, you won't get anything new. You should also not get the PS2 classics version of Ico and shadow of the colossus, as HD ports for PS3 exist. They'll look a lot prettier, and they're probably not significantly more expensive.

You can however circumvent the regional store differences by creating a US PSN account, and filling it up with money by using PSN cash cards that you can buy online. All PS2 Classics I have downloaded to my PS3 have worked, although I have only downloaded like 4. You can also get PS3 and PS1 games from the US store in this manner.

Shoeberto
07-18-2014, 06:47 PM
Uncharted
Uncharted
Uncharted
Uncharted
Uncharted

I mean, there's a ton of other good games. But the Uncharted trilogy is a no-brainer must-play for any PS3 owner.

Scotty_ffgamer
07-18-2014, 07:11 PM
Uncharted I could take or leave. They are pretty fun, but nothing too special I feel. They're all pretty cheap though!

The Last of Us is absolutely fantastic though. I will warn you that when I played The Last of Us, it was really hard to try to go back and play Uncharted games. The controls are just set up better. Otherwise, it's a great story to experience.

Valkyria Chronicles is one of my all time favorites on the PS3. The characters and story are pretty laid back for being about war, and I just found it pretty relaxing to play. It's a pretty game, and the battles are fun!

I of course have to suggest ThatGameCompany's games. Journey and Flower are both great experiences on the PS3. These are also really relaxing games and good to play on stressful days.

I don't know if you are a Metal Gear fan, but the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (comes with 2, 3, and Peace Walker) and MGS4 are all great fun. I think they actually came out with like a Metal Gear legacy collection at some point that had 1, 2, 3, 4, and Peace Walker in it. Metal Gear Solid 3 also has the options to play the original Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 which are both pretty fun.

Speaking of HD collections, there's the X/X-2 HD collection, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 ReMIX, and the Ico and Shadow of the Colossus collection. All of these are fantastic games!

That's all I've got off the top of my head, but there are a lot of games available to you.

Mirage
07-18-2014, 08:03 PM
Okami HD is fantastic.

Uncharted
Uncharted
Uncharted
Uncharted
Uncharted

I mean, there's a ton of other good games. But the Uncharted trilogy is a no-brainer must-play for any PS3 owner.

I really tried to get into Uncharted but it just isn't very fun :/. I mean sure, the games might be good for a decent chunk of people, but I don't think it's a no-brainer. Perhaps it is if you enjoy story-heavy third person cover shooters.

TrollHunter
07-18-2014, 08:09 PM
Hmmm...

Demon's Souls
Disgaea 3/4/D2
Infamous 1/2

A lot of those are not available as PS2 downloads in europe. Also, none of the PS2 Classics on PSN are altered in any way from the original PS2 games, so if you've played them on the PS2, you won't get anything new. You should also not get the PS2 classics version of Ico and shadow of the colossus, as HD ports for PS3 exist. They'll look a lot prettier, and they're probably not significantly more expensive.

You can however circumvent the regional store differences by creating a US PSN account, and filling it up with money by using PSN cash cards that you can buy online. All PS2 Classics I have downloaded to my PS3 have worked, although I have only downloaded like 4. You can also get PS3 and PS1 games from the US store in this manner.

Someone already brought up the EU shop being different, though I will say again that it is very sad. But anyway, he mentioned having a 360, he didnt mention having had a ps2 so I just assumed that he didnt as I would rather it turn out that he's played the games I've mentioned then have them fly under the radar. Many of the games on the shop are for under 10 bucks so I consider it worthwhile to pick them up even if they are unchanged from the ps2 version.

But yeah, HD SoC and Ico is far better. I totally forgot about those. Need to check the price on them.

Mirage
07-18-2014, 09:31 PM
That's why I suggested that he could use the US store by buying a cash card online. You get the code for them by e-mail so it's pretty fast, although a bit cumbersome compared to using your main account. Once the game has been downloaded, however, you don't need to stay on the US account to play it. You both install and play the game using the EU account. The EU account will even register trophies normally if it is a PS3 game. The only thing that can be problematic is if you mix EU versions of games with US (or lol, japanese) versions of DLC. As of right now, I think there only exists one(*) regionally locked game on PS3, and that would be Persona 4 Arena.

* I don't know how many japanese games might be region locked. I am talking about US/EU releases now.

Psychotic
07-18-2014, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Keep 'em coming!

Ayen
07-18-2014, 11:49 PM
Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F, if you enjoy challenging rhythm games.

I have to third The Last of Us and I have an entire review of the game to tell you why. I'd need to know your opinion on the Metal Gear franchise before I can recommend MGS4.

Psychotic
07-18-2014, 11:55 PM
Loved it. MGS1 is my second favourite PS game. I couldn't tell you whether MGS3 is my favourite PS2 game but it's up there.

Ayen
07-19-2014, 12:00 AM
Loved it. MGS1 is my second favourite PS game. I couldn't tell you whether MGS3 is my favourite PS2 game but it's up there.

Then you should enjoy it. It plays tribute to all the games that came before and the cameo reappears in the form of OctoCamo.