PDA

View Full Version : Help me narrow down this list please

Pumpkin
07-18-2014, 05:39 PM
These mostly seem to be RPG's but I'm not sure if this should go here or in RPG discussion

Anyways, I have a little while to finish some games, but these are too many to get done in the time I need to (I'll still play them, it'll just take longer) so if you can help me knock 2 or 3 off the list, that'll help save me some time.

The list of games I want to play soon is longer than I expected it to be, so whichever you think isn't as good as the others just post that and I'll see if there's one that most people think isn't as pressing as the other ones

1. Final Fantasy IV - Played until the twins had that sad thing happen. Need to finish
2. Final Fantasy III - Have completed, don't remember much so I want to give it another try
3. Tales of Symphonia - Played a few minutes over a year or so ago
4. Disgaea - The first one for the PS2. Played the first dungeon but was very hard and haven't played since
5. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - Also very hard
6. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - Played and finished, don't remember much other than some characters and the overall storyline
7. Xenogears - Read the script, never made it far in to playing
8. Radiant Historia - I've been playing but its not really grabbing me. Should I continue?
9. Dragon Quest IX - Haven't played much and it's been about 2 years
10. Dragon Quest VIII - Played a few minutes but have heard it is really good
11. Kingdom Hearts - The first one. Played until the Jungle and haven't been back yet. Kind of chore-y
12. Skies of Arcadia - Haven't played more than a few minutes
13. Threads of Fate - Did the first dungeon a few days ago
14. Ni No Kuni - Played last year and really liked it, but didn't get super far and haven't been back to play yet
15. Phantom Brave - Played a decent amount but haven't been back
16. Rune Factory Tides of Destiny - Haven't touched it!
17. Star ocean (PS3) - People seem to hate this game but I loved it when I played. I got up to the point with the big mechanical looking guy

So any suggestions on helping me trim down the list?

Bolivar
07-18-2014, 05:51 PM
I'll move to strike the FFs - you beat TA and III, give some new games a chance. I also just don't think FFIV holds up all that well anymore and you could get a more meaningful experience from some of the newer games.

Speaking of which, I'll recommend either Xenogears or DQVIII. I think going from V to VIII would be awesome and you could decide for yourself which you think is the better game. Only downside is you might get burned out on the series. Best to come back to DQ as an old friend.

I know you're a Xenosaga fan - don't you wanna see where it all began? :) Warning - nearly everything about the "game" aspect of it is terrible, whereas everything else is some of the best around.

Pumpkin
07-18-2014, 05:54 PM
I'll move to strike the FFs - you beat TA and III, give some new games a chance. I also just don't think FFIV holds up all that well anymore and you could get a more meaningful experience from some of the newer games.

Speaking of which, I'll recommend either Xenogears or DQVIII. I think going from V to VIII would be awesome and you could decide for yourself which yiu think is the better game. Only downside is you might get burned out on the series. Best to come back to DQ as an old friend.

I know you're a Xenosaga fan - don't you wanna see where it all began? :) Warning - nearly everything about the "game" aspect of it is terrible, whereas everything else is some of the best around.

I suppose I do have a lot of FFs on my list already so taking some off might be a good move. It would be neat to see the similarities in DQV and VIII since I'm not really familiar with the series.

I do know the whole Xenogears story, but yeah the gameplay always felt pretty bad to me so it was hard to keep playing, especially since I knew what would happen anyway xD But I have always wondered how different the story and characters would come across on screen as opposed to just in print

Bolivar
07-18-2014, 05:55 PM
I think it's worth finding out, given how awesome the music and artwork is.

Wolf Kanno
07-18-2014, 07:49 PM
I will probably second Xenogears from that list. Disgaea is also a good choice and something I feel is up your alley as long as you avoid the time sink elements of the game. Disgaea is kind of the ideal game for the budget gamer but since you have so many other games to work on, I would speed through story mode instead.

Skies of Arcadia is a pretty good RPG as well, one of those nice idealistic throwback titles. Though I haven't finished it myself, I enjoyed what I played of it.

Threads of Fate is also a pretty good game once you get into it and I wish more people would play it cause it's one of the most overlooked games by Square for the PS1.

Scotty_ffgamer
07-18-2014, 07:55 PM
I feel like Threads of Fate is also pretty short. I could be wrong there since I have yet to play it myself. It's on my list!

Pumpkin
07-18-2014, 08:33 PM
Alrighty so far

Red = vote to remove Green = vote to play Blue = Multiple votes to play

1. Final Fantasy IV - Played until the twins had that sad thing happen. Need to finish
2. Final Fantasy III - Have completed, don't remember much so I want to give it another try
4. Disgaea - The first one for the PS2. Played the first dungeon but was very hard and haven't played since
6. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - Played and finished, don't remember much other than some characters and the overall storyline
8. Radiant Historia - I've been playing but its not really grabbing me. Should I continue?
11. Kingdom Hearts - The first one. Played until the Jungle and haven't been back yet. Kind of chore-y
14. Ni No Kuni - Played last year and really liked it, but didn't get super far and haven't been back to play yet
17. Star ocean (PS3) - People seem to hate this game but I loved it when I played. I got up to the point with the big mechanical looking guy

Also, thanks for the help you guys :jess:

Dr Unne
07-18-2014, 08:43 PM
Phantom Brave, because it's not like those others. It's a great game. Charming and funny. Some of the weapon descriptions have been in-jokes in my circle for years. The battle system is wonderful. I like how NIS went with free movement and targeting rather than tile-based like a lot of their other games.

Pumpkin
07-18-2014, 08:50 PM
Phantom Brave, because it's not like those others. It's a great game. Charming and funny. Some of the weapon descriptions have been in-jokes in my circle for years. The battle system is wonderful. I like how NIS went with free movement and targeting rather than tile-based like a lot of their other games.

I don't remember much about it but I did like all of the character variations and jobs and such and I do remember it being silly, which I enjoyed

Formalhaut
07-18-2014, 08:56 PM
From a personal angle, I would finish what I started and finish off the games you've played part way through. However, I second Disgaea on that one.

Just a small question: you said you loved Ni No Kuni, but didn't get super far into it. What made you stop playing?

Pumpkin
07-18-2014, 09:00 PM
Sometimes I just get in moods where I feel like playing certain games and then sadly the games I was playing kind of get left behind. Then because its been a while, I get a bit discouraged and don't go back for a few years or so

Pete for President
07-18-2014, 10:09 PM
Ni No Kuni has a fantastic final chapter so I recommend finishing that! If you don't mind the hand-holding too much that is.

Colonel Angus
07-18-2014, 11:04 PM
You should play DQVIII. It's really an excellent game.

You should finish FFIV one day, but if you have to remove anything, I'll agree w/ Bolivar on removing the FFs.

I don't know about the others.

Ayen
07-18-2014, 11:16 PM
I second cutting FFIII if you already played it to competition. Same with Tactics Advance. I also remember you saying you don't like hard games, so cut Disgaea, and Tactics Ogre. If Radiant Historia isn't grabbing you, cut it. If Kingdom Hearts is too chorey, cut it. I third playing Xenogears.

sharkythesharkdogg
07-21-2014, 03:50 AM
I obviously vote for Xenogears.

I also vote for Skies of Arcadia. It's a really charming RPG with a classic feel to it. I also vote Ni No Kuni and Phatom Brave as good games that will be a change of pace.

Do you think you might be burned out on the Tales series after Tales of Xillia? Maybe Tales of Symphonia would have to wait.

Depression Moon
07-21-2014, 04:18 AM
Threads of Fate and Dragon Quest VIII, I highly recommend both and you've already started on Threads of Fate.

Pumpkin
07-21-2014, 07:41 PM
17. Star Ocean (PS3) - People seem to hate this game but I loved it when I played. I got up to the point with the big mechanical looking guy

I was thinking about picking up Ni No Kuni here soon (maybe after Tales of Xillia) but I can't remember how to play it and I don't want to start over. I imagine they have tutorials on that though

Any opinions on DQIX, Star Ocean, or Rune Factory?

Sephiroth
07-21-2014, 07:56 PM
17. Star Ocean (PS3) - People seem to hate this game but I loved it when I played. I got up to the point with the big mechanical looking guy
Any opinions on DQIX, Star Ocean, or Rune Factory?

Go for them.