PDA

View Full Version : First Numbered Action RPG

Wolf Kanno
07-19-2014, 09:06 AM
Since I couldn't put this in the title... do you wonder if fans will react negatively to the fact this game is an Action-RPG? I'm not saying disliking the game, just I can already here people talking about how the game plays more like Kingdom Hearts than feeling like an FF title. I remember a similar issue happened with XII where people talked about how it felt more like Matsuno's games than a traditional FF.

Ayen
07-19-2014, 09:09 AM
I'm sure it will be discussed repeatedly when the game first comes out before talks die down. Anyone familiar with the MMOs and XII probably won't care as much as those used to the traditional turn-based system in their FF games.

Bubba
07-19-2014, 09:40 AM
Fans will always find something to grumble at in a new Final Fantasy game. That's what they do best! Me peronally, I'm happy for them to take a new direction for FFXV though so I'd be open to an action RPG.

Formalhaut
07-19-2014, 06:18 PM
I think there's going to be discussion over it if it's good or bad. If it turns out good, it will be hailed as a "new step forward for Final Fantasy", or something like that. If the game turns out bad, no doubt people will rail against the fact that it isn't "traditional".

Del Murder
07-19-2014, 07:24 PM
I think there's going to be discussion over it if it's good or bad. If it turns out good, it will be hailed as a "new step forward for Final Fantasy", or something like that. If the game turns out bad, no doubt people will rail against the fact that it isn't "traditional".
That's probably exactly what will happen.

It doesn't really bother me as long as it is good. I like the traditional RPG but I do realize that the genre is going in this direction. Just as long as it has enough ff elements like summons, party combat, and various magic attacks I'll be fine.

Pumpkin
07-19-2014, 07:31 PM
I'll complain because I just suck at those types of games so it'll be harder for me to play :(

Ayen
07-20-2014, 12:34 AM
Fans will always find something to grumble at

Truer words have never been typed on the world wide web.

Colonel Angus
07-22-2014, 12:20 AM
Can't XII be considered an "Action-RPG"?

Ayen
07-22-2014, 01:12 AM

I think it's more of an offline MMO, really.

Scotty_ffgamer
07-26-2014, 05:47 AM
The action-rpg nature doesn't really bother me. For me, it doesn't spell the end of turn based stuff; although, it's possible more traditional gameplay might start to be relegated to the Bravely Default series. In any case, they're always trying something new with their games. As long as it plays well and the story is good, I'm good.

Depression Moon
07-26-2014, 08:13 AM
That would be pretty dumb after all these years that we've already known that it's going to be an Action-RPG.

fat_moogle
07-26-2014, 08:27 AM
Final Fantasy XV will always be Versus XIII to me so I embrace the fact that this is an Action RPG. Just because it's now a main numbered title rather than a "spin off" (if you could call it that) doesn't make a difference to me, just release the damn game already.

Psychotic
07-26-2014, 09:51 AM
You get some that hated that FF was the first 3D FF. (The sprite-based chocobo/airship stuff in VI aside :p) People will always find something to dislike or moan about. Final Fantasy will always change and evolve.

metagloria
07-26-2014, 01:26 PM
Uhhhh

XII is pretty much an inaction RPG. Rather than frantic button mashing, you set it up so you never have to mash buttons.

I don't think we should be too nervous about it being a foreign concept to us RPG gamers, because Square always dumbs down the mechanics for their fanbase when they switch genres (see: Dirge of Cerberus). Plus, they've got the experience of Kingdom Hearts, so they'll know how to make the battle system good. I just pray there's actual battling, and not too much emphasis on automatic actions ("press triangle to climb up this enemy and stab him in the head!").

Freya
07-27-2014, 06:11 PM
It reminds me of KH combat. I love kh combat. So I think i'll be perfectly fine with this one. As Psy mentioned, they complained about it going 3D. They complained about voice acting and they'll complain about this. It'll happen regardless! People just like to complain.