PDA

View Full Version : Handhelds

Ayen
07-19-2014, 09:42 AM
Inspired by Wolf's thread about what you'd do if a FF game came out for a handheld system.

What kind of handheld systems do you own? I have two sets of Pokemon themed Game Boy Colors (one was my mom's), a Pokemon themed Game Boy Advance, and a blue Nintendo DS Lite. I only watched a girl play "Wario Land" on the original Game Boy when we were supposed to be asleep, and a guy mess around with a PSP at church. I'm hoping to get my hands on a 3DS in the Fall.

Discuss.

Fynn
07-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Had a gameboy pocket back in the day. Later upgraded to this purple-transparent gameboy color. Later on had a black gameboy advance which got destroyed by my brother, so I was later given a black gameboy advance SP. In high school I got a black DS Lite and a year later a PSP slim. Last Christmas my wife and I got a black and blue 3DS XL and are thinking of getting a vita someday too :3:

Needless to say, I enjoy handhelds. A LOT.

Pheesh
07-19-2014, 09:56 AM
I have a PSP 3000 and a PSVita. Locky owns a DS and a 3DS which means I can usually play a game on them when she's not doing absolutely nothing on Tomodachi life.

Mo-Nercy
07-19-2014, 10:00 AM
I currently only have a PSP 2000. It's the
58275 I quite like it.

Ayen
07-19-2014, 10:06 AM
Had a gameboy pocket back in the day. Later upgraded to this purple-transparent gameboy color.

Transparent purple was pretty popular back in the day. I remember the N64 had a version in that color, too. I still have a controller that color. The control stick is a bit sticky.

58275 I quite like it.

Awesome. What's with the random 000 numbers at the end of the PSPs? Do they mean anything or are they just there to add flavor?

Bubba
07-19-2014, 10:09 AM
- Purple Game Boy Colour
- Handheld NES
- Silver Gameboy Advance SP
- Nintendo 3DS
- Playstation Vita

I love my handhelds too. The last three on the list all get regular rotation. MissH is currently looking after my Vita while she ploughs through FFVII.

Ayen
07-19-2014, 10:10 AM
- Handheld NES

Wait, what? Do you mean a modified handheld NES or was this something Nintendo actually made?

Pike
07-19-2014, 10:15 AM
I have:

A green Game Boy Pocket
A silver Game Boy Advance
A light blue Game Boy Advance SP
A Nintendo DS (the slim kind)
A red Pokemon XY edition Nintendo 3DS XL

I do like my handhelds!

Bubba
07-19-2014, 10:20 AM
- Handheld NES

Wait, what? Do you mean a modified handheld NES or was this something Nintendo actually made?

No, it wasn't made by Nintendo. It was an independent company. The display isn't huge but it works just fine. It's got two bluetooth controllers as well so you can connect it to a TV and use it as a normal NES.

Ayen
07-19-2014, 10:23 AM
- Handheld NES

No, it wasn't made by Nintendo. It was an independent company. The display isn't huge but it works just fine. It's got two bluetooth controllers as well so you can connect it to a TV and use it as a normal NES.

Me jelly. That'd be cool to have.

I've seen a lot of handheld mods of old consoles too. Namely one of the Nintendo 64. It looked pretty spiffy.

Mo-Nercy
07-19-2014, 10:24 AM
58275 I quite like it.

Awesome. What's with the random 000 numbers at the end of the PSPs? Do they mean anything or are they just there to add flavor?
Yeah means nothing. The first PSP was designated 1000, the second 2000 etc.

Shauna
07-19-2014, 11:55 AM
We own a GameBoy Advance (somewhere), a GameBoy Advance SP, two DS's, a PSP and two 3DS's. Our 3DS's definitely get most use, but I might break out the ol' PSP and get some old school RPGs on the go.

Ayen
07-19-2014, 11:57 AM
58275 I quite like it.

Yeah means nothing. The first PSP was designated 1000, the second 2000 etc.

Oh, I get it now. It's like with the numbers on its console counterpart.

Ergroilnin
07-19-2014, 12:34 PM
Never had any handheld before but last week I bought me PS Vita Slim for my birthday and I am loving it big time. Seriously it's very impressive device and the games for it hnng :love:

Christmas
07-19-2014, 01:20 PM
I used to have a big fat first generation PSP!! :bigsmile:

Until I got tired of carrying it around and replace it with my iPhone. :(

It is still lying in a corner of my house. No loss in the weight from any angle. :(

metagloria
07-19-2014, 02:03 PM
I have a DS, 3DS, and PSP. I like them from time to time, especially being able to play classic FFs on the DS via the GBA slot. I also have VII on my PSP, which, yeah. Portable VII = greatest human achievement.

Pike
07-19-2014, 02:47 PM
Not gonna lie; I'm spending a lot more time playing games on my phone than on dedicated handhelds lately. :shifty:

Scotty_ffgamer
07-19-2014, 04:48 PM
TurboGrafx Express (This thing is on its last legs, but I can still get it to work).
Sega Game Gear (I think this is dying too :cry:)
Purple Gameboy Color
Purple Gameboy Advance
2 Gameboy Advance SPs
3DS
White, star wars themed PSP
White Vita

I had a DS which I gave to my mom and a DSi which I gave to my old roommate as a gift too. I really want to get a 3DS XL someday. Like with home consoles, I'd like to pick up as many hand held consoles as I can someday.

Bolivar
07-19-2014, 06:17 PM
Always been a big handheld gamer - owned a clear fat GameBoy, a GBC, DS Lite, PSP Go, 3DS, and PS Vita. The Vita might be my most played platform atm, largely because I take the commuter train to work everyday.

Wolf Kanno
07-19-2014, 07:02 PM
I mentioned this in the console thread but...

1st Gen Game Boy
Game Boy Color (Blue)
GBA (Purple)
DS Lite (White)
3DS (Black)
PSP

Currently my 3DS gets the most action especially since its backwards compatible with my DS, but the DS gets love whenever I go through GBA games cause I own the original which had not back light so games like Castlevania: Circle of the Moon are a nightmare to play on the GBA.

Dat Matt
07-20-2014, 11:36 PM
I've either lost or broken many of my older handhelds, but I have a GBA SP / 2 DS lites / a 3DS / a 3DS XL and original PSP now.

I've had pretty much Game though from the original Brick. I also had a Game Gear.

Del Murder
07-27-2014, 09:03 PM
I have DS, 3DS, PSP, and Vita. Except for the Vita I play the hell out of all of them. There are some Vita games I've been meaning to play but I just don't have the time.

Noire
07-28-2014, 10:13 PM
I have...

- 2x Gameboy Advance
- Gameboy Advance SP
- Gameboy Micro
- 2x DS Lite
- DSi XL
- 3DS
- 3DS XL
- PSP Slim
- PS Vita

I go through phases, but on average I spend more time on my handhelds than I do on my consoles. I didn't get a console for years; my youth was spent on Pokemon, Super Mario Land and Zelda: Link's Awakening, so I've always been a bit biased in favour of handheld gaming...plus I can't really curl up in my chair downstairs with a console either, or take it out with me, so there's the convenience factor too.

arenzi
07-28-2014, 10:18 PM
I have a GameBoy Color, DS Lite and PSP. Haven't played them in ages. I do want a 3DS. Someday, someday.

Colonel Angus
07-29-2014, 02:25 AM
Game Gear
Purple Game Boy Color
Anniversary NES design Game Boy Advance SP

Pumpkin
07-29-2014, 04:02 AM
I have a 2DS, a DS Lite, and a special Darth Vader PSP :3:

Vermachtnis
07-29-2014, 05:17 AM
I got the first GBA, it's pink! Got the first DS, it's grey. Got the first 3DS, it's purple.

Got PSP 2000(?) that's red and a Vita 3G or something oranother.

Dr Unne
07-29-2014, 06:47 AM
Marriage results in doubles of a lot of consoles:

GB
GBC
GBA
DS Lite x2
3DS XL x2
PSP x2
Vita
Wonderswan Color Special FF1 Edition YEAH NONE OF YOU HAVE THIS ONE DO YOU SUCKERS

Ayen
07-29-2014, 07:06 AM
Marriage results in doubles of a lot of consoles

It does?

Anyone want to get married?

Endless
07-29-2014, 11:33 AM
I had a GB (my first console), I have
a GBC
a GBA
a GBA SP
a DS
a 3DS

I go through phases between handheld and non-handheld, obviously handheld is superior when I'm on the move ;)

Mirage
07-29-2014, 03:25 PM
I have a green original gameboy, a modded psp2k and a vanilla 3ds