PDA

View Full Version : PC Gaming

Ayen
07-19-2014, 10:16 AM
I figured I better make a thread on here for the PC too before some folks got restless. What kind of PC do you have and what kind of games do you normally play on it?

I'm too lazy to look at my specs, but I have a HP PC I got back in 2012 and it's adequate enough to play the PC games I get. I have both Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic games, Aliens Versus Predator 2, a presidential election game, Command & Conquer the First Decade and Tiberium Wars, Game Dev Tycoon, The Longest Journey and Dreamfall, a couple of MMOs, and a couple of games on Steam. Just recently I got Morrowind for twenty bucks on there, good stuff.

Pike
07-19-2014, 10:37 AM
I built my PC a couple years back and I play pretty much everything on it - I've got hundreds of Steam games, so I'm not gonna sit here and list them.

With a small handful of exceptions I have not done any serious console gaming in probably about ten years. Nothing against console gaming, of course, but my computer is right here and the console is way over theeeeeeeere. I tend to do more console gaming when Hux visits because then we can couch co-op.

Shauna
07-19-2014, 11:52 AM
I built my PC in the last year. It's pretty good and plays any video games I want to play. Recently ploughed through The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead which were both pretty great.

I have too many PC games on Steam to name them all, and I've also got like half the GoG library because I am a sucker for older games.

I do both PC and console gaming interchangeably. I can sit where I am now and physically reach my TV and PS3/Xbox so swapping between the two is fine. Unless Matt has moved the controller away and then I have to get up. :(

Ayen
07-19-2014, 12:07 PM
Lots of PC builders here. I have a cousin who used to build all of this computers all the time and was our "go-to" person for computer related trouble.

Matt, stop moving Shauna's controller. Getting up is a trying task for us all and we could be doing so many more productive things with our time.

Ergroilnin
07-19-2014, 12:31 PM
I have one year old PC that I made after the last one died after good 8 years of service.

Decided that I want this computer to last me for a good while i decked out around 1500 dollars for it and I am pretty happy with it so far. The specs are:

CPU: Intel i7-4770 @ 3.40GHz (Turbo @3.90GHz)
GPU: GeForce GTX 760
RAM: 16 GB
HDD: 256 GB SSD + 2TB 7200 rpm HDD
Monitors: dual full HD AOC

The only thing I kind of regret now is that I didn't buy the unlocked K version of the CPU for overclocking but meh, it's strong enough for everything I do anyways.

I use it for work, toying with video rendering etc. As for gaming I mostly emulate PS2 games at full or well above full speeds with great graphics and I also have some games on Steam so that's about it.

Rez09
07-21-2014, 01:17 PM
I built my PC a few years back and it plays everything I've purchased well. The majority of the PC gaming I do consists of emulation, modern 2D platformers, MOBAs, Civ V, and Minecraft.

Soooo much Minecraft. ._.

Aulayna
07-21-2014, 01:21 PM
I built my own PC, and I have 2 monitors. It's just convenient being able to have the game full screen on one monitor while browsing the web on the other and alt-tabbing between them. Plus with a gamepad for some games, it's pretty much just the same as console gaming provided you have a comfortable chair.

Mirage
07-21-2014, 01:51 PM
dual monitors is where it's at

I'd have three if I just had enough space where my desk is.

I have a PC capable of running any PC game on the market today, but I actually don't play all that much on it. It's usually just FF11, but occasionally i might pick up something else just to try it out.

Formalhaut
07-21-2014, 02:10 PM
I'm far too poor to actually afford a desktop PC that is worthy of playing any decent video games, and I don't know how the hell you guys build your PCs!

My current "system" is a laptop.

CPU: Intel i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80 GHz
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000
RAM: 4.00GB
HDD: 670 GB, apparently.
Monitors: My laptop's own screen, I guess?

I can just hear PC gamers just wailing in agony over seeing those figures, I'm sure.

Bolivar
07-21-2014, 04:26 PM
I bought an ASUS laptop 2 years ago. The only games I've had trouble running well were Crysis 2 and The Witcher 2 but they were still playable. I'm probably going to build one within the next year, as it's really not expensive at all to build a capable rig these days. That's likely to continue as the new consoles didn't leap frog the widely available specs like they have in the past, and developers are unlikely to go too far beyond that.

escobert
07-21-2014, 04:50 PM
I build my own, it's always getting news parts and stuff

Intel Core i3-4360 3.70GHz
MSI B85-G41 PC mate Motherboard
Noctua NHH-U14s CPU fan (140mm fan on a heat sink)
MSI GTX480
Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 1333MHz DDR3 CL9 DIMM
Rosewill RBR1000-M 1000-Watt Bronze Series 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply
350GB Sata 2
500 GB sata 2
Sony LED TV 32"
Rosewill BlackHawk case with 4 140mm fans and 4 120mm fans.

I always ran dual monitors before but I don't anymore. I don't need to! I just use my laptop for maps and other stuff while playing on my desktop. I will probably go with dual montitors again when space allows it and my roommate isn't using my other monitor.
I play lots of Arma 2 DayZ mod, Arma 3 Altis Life and DayZ Standalone.

Bubba
07-21-2014, 04:58 PM
I think it is extremely important that we all practise politically correct gaming.

escobert
07-21-2014, 05:01 PM
Some of us don't play consoles so we need a PC specific thread ;)

Loony BoB
07-21-2014, 05:17 PM
We have a couple of PCs which were built roughly 4-5 years ago and are now getting to the point that they won't play the latest games. I am wanting to play Star Citizen before the year is through, so I'm going to be upgrading mine and probably Danielle's in the next few months. It'll cost me a mint but I can't wait! *waits*

We also have a couple of laptops, but they can't handle anything spectacular. Gaming on a laptop is a pain regardless. We use them mostly for old games that don't require quick actions (Dreamfall at the moment) and internets.

AssassinDX
07-23-2014, 06:07 PM
I built mine in April 2012.

Intel Core i5 2500k @ 3.3Ghz
GeForce GTX 570
8GB RAM
1TB HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate

My only regret is not getting a SSD, but I was already over budget by the time I'd even thought about it. They're considerably cheaper now I guess but I don't want the ball ache of moving my OS over to it without royally mucking it up.

As for the kind of games, all sorts, and still on max settings which is nice. It would be easier to tell you what I don't play rather than what I do, which is essentially shooters. Everything else from Euro Truck Simulator to Elder Scrolls Online is fair game, I enjoy most genres.

I'm also quite happy to interchange between console and PC, I dislike elitism towards one or the other.

Bolivar
07-23-2014, 06:50 PM
I'm also quite happy to interchange between console and PC, I dislike elitism towards one or the other.

Yep. There's so many experiences to have across PC, console, handheld, and now mobile that you only do yourself a disservice by picking one and shunning all others.

Ergroilnin
07-23-2014, 07:27 PM
I never understood where the whole "PC master race vs peasant console gamers" came from. Is it some meme from 4chan or something?

Because it's honestly stupid to limit yourself to just one platform. I mean sure I won't ever buy PSone / PS2 again since I can now easily and efficiently emulate them on computer, but if I had enough spare money I wouldn't blink twice to buy me PS4, Wii and other consoles so I could actually play games exclusive to each platform.

Formalhaut
07-23-2014, 07:51 PM
I never understood where the whole "PC master race vs peasant console gamers" came from. Is it some meme from 4chan or something?

Because it's honestly stupid to limit yourself to just one platform. I mean sure I won't ever buy PSone / PS2 since I can now easily and efficiently emulate them on computer, but if I had enough spare money I wouldn't blink twice to buy me PS4, Wii and other consoles so I can actually play games exclusive to each platform.

I third this. I love all forms of playing games!

Spuuky
07-23-2014, 08:46 PM
The PC master race argument exists because there are games that are released on both the console and PC, and they are better 100% of the time on the PC.

Also, otherwise-good PC games are bastardized by the need to make them somehow playable on a console controller scheme that just doesn't work for them a lot of the time. That's how you get stuff like the awful, broken menu system of Borderlands 1 on the PC, or Skyrim's menu system.

Bolivar
07-23-2014, 09:00 PM

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/the-glorious-pc-gaming-master-race

Pike
07-24-2014, 05:57 PM
It's not that I dislike console gaming, it's just more inconvenient for me and I'm lazy.

And yeah the PC Master Race thing came from Yahtzee or one of those other British reviewer guys I don't pay attention to.

Pumpkin
07-24-2014, 06:00 PM
I would like to PC game but my computer is pretty crappy. It has a hard time with Google :(

I'm sad because I wanted the Sims 4

Shauna
07-24-2014, 06:03 PM
And yeah the PC Master Race thing came from Yahtzee or one of those other British reviewer guys I don't pay attention to.

So someone taking the piss became a thing that a lot of people legitimately clung to, eh? Ah, internet.

Bubba
07-24-2014, 06:06 PM
Monopoly still runs like a dream on my 486.

escobert
07-24-2014, 08:15 PM
I cba to play games on consoles. I can do everything I need right here from this seat. There aren't enough games on consoles for me to warrant spending them money on them.