PDA

View Full Version : The Sega Thread

Ayen
07-19-2014, 10:46 AM
A thread dedicated to all things Sega.

I know a lot of people here grew up with the SNES, but how many had any of the Sega systems growing up? I'm talking anything from the SG-1000, Master System, Genesis/Megadrive, Game Gear, Saturn, Dreamcast, and others.

Thanks to my brother I grew up with the Genesis, the 32X add-on, Saturn, and Dreamcast. I would always play Battletoad/Double Dragon, Street Fighter 2, X-Men 2 Clone Wars, Cyborg Justice, Mortal Kombat II, and Doom. Sadly I don't remember all the games we had on the Saturn that well. I think we had Battle Arena Toshinden 2, House of the Dead, and Virtual Cop, but the only one I'm certain of is House of the Dead. For the Dreamcast, all I remember is Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5 Part 2, Sega Bass Fishing, and WWF Attitude.

Street of Rage, Comix Zone, and Road Rash II were some other games I enjoyed on the Genesis. Despite being the Sega equivalent of Mario, there were very little Sonicing going on. Only one I played was Sonic 3. I only watched my brother played Sonic Adventure. All the other old Sonic games I played were on re-releases for other systems.

Bubba
07-19-2014, 11:12 AM
I've always been Nintendo/Sony but I did have access to a Master System and a Megadrive (Genesis) when I was growing up. Me and my friends were split down the middle with Sega and Nintendo. There were some intense discussions back in the day!

The Megadrive had some great games for it. Streets of Rage 2, Road Rash and Goldenaxe were all fantastic. Altered Beast was a horrible game to play though even though everyone loved it because of the beast changes. I also feel (probably in the minority here) that Sonic the Hedgehog (any of them) was a pretty mediocre platformer. Obviously the speed element was enjoyable. Other than that though, I thought the controls were not very tight and the levels were all very similar to play.

Ayen
07-19-2014, 11:21 AM
I hear ya on the controls. I think the speed element was a big reason the older games sold so well. That said, the first game has aged pretty well on the graphics side of things and had a pretty good bonus stage. I don't think the enemies, stages, and music compares all that well to Mario, though.

Speaking of Sonic:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gae6MB6pqlE/Uoo84SE2p8I/AAAAAAAAAVE/ylz8e0vwQPA/s1600/Sonic+meme+copy.png

Scotty_ffgamer
07-19-2014, 04:54 PM
I loved my Genesis and Game Gear as a kid. I was fortunate enough to have the SNES, Genesis, and TurboGrafx though, so I didn't have to worry about which console was better or anything.

A game in particular I remember playing a lot on the Genesis was Quackshot starring Donald Duck. Man, I really loved that game!

Colonel Angus
07-19-2014, 05:15 PM
I had a Genesis & Game Gear. I was later to the Sega party, as I got the 2nd version of the system that came bundled w/ Sonic 2. There were a lot of great games on those systems.

Gunstar Heroes (All of you, especially if you like Contra, should play this)
Sonic Series
Phantasy Star IV (probably could be said of the whole series, but I didn't play much of the others yet)
Eternal Champions (should've had a mention in the Fighting Games thread :blush:)
Columns
Aladdin (I know it was released on other systems, but I loved this version)

Wolf Kanno
07-19-2014, 07:04 PM
I never owned a Sega system, but all my friends had a Genesis going growing up so I feel like I grew up with the system by proxy. Have some fond memories of Sonic, Vectorman, Altered Beast, and Comix Zone.

Slothy
07-19-2014, 07:42 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: the Dreamcast has one of, if not the, strongest libraries of games of any console ever made. I love that thing to death.

Bolivar
07-19-2014, 07:48 PM
The Genesis was a pivotal console in my gaming experience, it got me into RPGs and a number of other genres as well. Some of the best gaming sountracks ever were laid down for that system, with Michael Jackson himself contributing to Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

ScottNUMBERS
07-19-2014, 07:51 PM
I grew up on Sega (master system and megadrive) and from there moved on to Playstation. I never owned a non-handheld Nintendo console until the Wii.

Some awesome games I remember:

Sonic
Sonic 1,2,3 Sonic and Knuckles and Sonic 3D. I loved and played these to death. Some of the quirky spin-offs like the pinball game were pretty annoying and bad though.

Quackshot starring Donald Duck.
Yes! hi5! A definite favourate of mine, up there with Sonic imo.

Flink (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbEAyl7QX0U)
I never ever see this mentioned by anyone. Unless I am missing something this is a very underrated game.

Street of Rage
Co-op mode all over my face.

Golden Axe
Much like Streets of Rage, an awesome game and co-op mode makes it that extra bit sweeter.

Columns (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy6P3uCy9a0)
Not really my type of thing normally but it was quite addictive and fun for a Tetris style puzzle game. I absolutely loved the music (all three tracks).

Ayen
07-19-2014, 11:33 PM
Aladdin (I know it was released on other systems, but I loved this version)

I never played the Aladdin game, but I did try The Lion King and Pocahontas. OMG, they were the hardest games I ever played (can't believe I didn't mention them in the hardest game thread). I only got to level two on Lion King and couldn't even get past the first level of Pocahontas. People keep telling me Aladdin was the hardest among them and I can't even begin to comprehend its difficulty.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the Dreamcast has one of, if not the, strongest libraries of games of any console ever made. I love that thing to death.

Do you mind helping me track down the Dreamcast my brother sold so I can play them?

The Genesis was a pivotal console in my gaming experience, it got me into RPGs and a number of other genres as well. Some of the best gaming sountracks ever were laid down for that system, with Michael Jackson himself contributing to Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

He did? I didn't know that. That's pretty cool.

Scotty_ffgamer
07-20-2014, 06:12 AM
You honestly should be able to get a Dreamcast for super cheap by this point, ToriJ

Ayen
07-20-2014, 07:00 AM
You honestly should be able to get a Dreamcast for super cheap by this point, ToriJ

Can I get it for under nineteen dollars?

Scotty_ffgamer
07-20-2014, 07:18 AM
Oh maybe not. I see them at used game stores for super cheap from time to time though. Like $20 or so.

Ayen
07-20-2014, 07:21 AM
Oh maybe not. I see them at used game stores for super cheap from time to time though. Like $20 or so.

Shame I spent all my money on the PlayStation Store.

SONY!

That said, if I'm getting any retro console from Sega it'd probably be the Genesis.

Pheesh
07-20-2014, 08:40 AM
My first ever console was my Megadrive. Games that were highlights of my childhood were: Sonic 2, Mortal Kombat 2, The Lion King and Tombi (and probably way more that I haven't thought about for years and can't remember the names of).

Christmas
07-20-2014, 08:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_500621&feature=iv&src_vid=Ebbaw8e7DoI&v=pLV7CP95DhU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36smb94HGNo

Ayen
07-20-2014, 09:33 AM
That guy sounds like my eleven year old nephew.

Rez09
07-21-2014, 02:15 PM
The Sega Genesis was the first console I actually owned, and I still remember walking into the store to buy it with my Dad and seeing Sonic 2 on the demo machine. :hyper:

The best part: he was friends with several other people who owned a Genesis as well, and I lent out Sonic 2 to borrow their games, most often Sonic 1 and, as mentioned by both Scotty and Scott, Quackshot, which is still one of my favorite titles on the console. I also borrowed Ariel the Little Mermaid, which I still to this day utterly detest. :grumble:

I also used to walk to the nearby mall all the time to check out new games on the demo machines too, and I basically lived there once Rocket Knight Adventures came out, since it was the only way for me to play it since no one I knew owned or wanted to buy it -- something I still don't understand. I mean, it's a possum. In blue armor. With a sword. And a JETPACK!! Why didn't people buy it?! >_<

It was made up for a few years later, though, when we moved closer to a store that rented out games and I got to grab a new game every weekend, with Vectorman, Ecco, Tinhead (very boring game, by the by), and The Haunting being ones in particular I remember. And Ristar, which I rented every weekend for at least two months before my mother finally caught on and bought for me. Same thing happened with Earthworm Jim a couple of months later.:roll:

Though I never owned a Game Gear, I did have a friend that did, and I remember how confused we were whenever we talked about Sonic 2, as we had no idea the 8 and 16 bit versions of the game were completely different, and I'm fairly certain we were both convinced the other person was lying. What the hell was this 'hang glider' crap in stage 2? There isn't even any room TO hang glide in Chemical Plant! He eventually brought in his Game Gear and we played the crap out of Streets of Rage and Sonic 2 during recess, though I'm not sure he ever came over to play on my Genesis.

The next Sega system I got was the Dreamcast after its lifecycle had basically ended, so I don't have much to say about it. I bought it, then got The Last Blade 2 and Tech Romancer for it, both of which were amazing and saw a lot of play during lunch break in highschool, as I lived almost next to the place and it was a short walk, though the N64 as a whole got a lot more use during the time with 4 player Battle Tanx, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros.

metagloria
07-21-2014, 02:45 PM
My parents bought me a Genesis when I was 5, and then never allowed me to have a Super Nintendo because I "didn't need that many consoles." :stare:

That aside, I loved the heck out of some Sonic, Vectorman, and a motley crew of other titles:
–Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
–TMNT: Tournament Fighters
–Ren and Stimpy: Stimpy's Invention
–Evander Holyfield's Real Deal Boxing (came with the system)
–Madden '97 and '98

Ayen
07-21-2014, 02:56 PM
Power Rangers was awesome. Once I unlocked the Green Ranger I just went to town on everyone. Being able to play as the zords in addition was always a huge plus.

theundeadhero
07-23-2014, 07:25 AM
The Sega versions of Shadowrun and Lunar were amazing.

jodymcdougle
07-23-2014, 04:25 PM
<-- Big Genesis and Game Gear fan!

jodymcdougle
07-23-2014, 04:31 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gae6MB6pqlE/Uoo84SE2p8I/AAAAAAAAAVE/ylz8e0vwQPA/s1600/Sonic+meme+copy.png

this is the funniest post that I have seen this morning! =D