PDA

View Full Version : Modern games scare me

Pumpkin
07-20-2014, 05:55 AM
might not be the right word, but they intimidate me. I hate new fangled technology :argh:

In all seriousness though, I've been encountering a problem with modern games. Now that scale and perspective have been made better, I can see how huge those big monsters I have to fight are and it honestly intimidates the poop out of me. Xenoblade has been a really good example of this. I have a hard time with the fights involving very large enemies.

Watching Leviathan on the FFXV trailer already has me worried.

Anyone else have this issue?

Ayen
07-20-2014, 05:58 AM
Can't say I have. The only modern games that have scared me were games designed to be scary like F.E.A.R. or Amnesia.

krissy
07-20-2014, 11:02 PM
i stopped projecting myself into game characters long ago/internalizing their conflicts and escaping fully into the world presented

so it doesn't really do this anymore even though the monsters are bigger and more active

it's interesting how we got the same sense of fear out of a bahamut battle in ff6 where the enemy was a drawn 2d sprite when we were like 10
but leave nothing to the imagination and have a fully mobile 3d bahamut and you're like 'eh'

you should play shadow of the colossus :)

Christmas
03-23-2022, 07:25 AM
One of the biggest issue I have with modern game is that it is relatively incomplete when it is first released. Usually it needs a batch of patches plus PAID DLCs to fix it. Back in my days when we bought the crap of the shop, the crap delivers! Now, I have to pay extra. :mad:

Quindiana Jones
03-24-2022, 04:31 PM
I agree with Xmas.

Maybe I'm a luddite or maybe I'm riddled with rose-tinted goggles, but I think contemporary everything is mostly shit. Films, games, TV shows, etc. There's a dearth of good writers and the design priorities are all on empty spectacle.

It's not 100% shit, obviously, but it's a rare novelty when something worthwhile happens.