PDA

View Full Version : FF worth a PS3?

jodymcdougle
07-20-2014, 04:00 PM
are the final fantasy titles on the PlayStation 3 worth buying a console for? I'm a pretty big Nintendo guy, so I've only got the Wiiu. but there just aren't enough titles available that interest me yet. with the upcoming price drop in PS3s, I am considering getting one just for ff titles and a few others.

Shauna
07-20-2014, 04:03 PM
FF13 has caused quite the split in the fans. Honestly, the only way for you to know is to play it and decide which side of the war you're on.

Slothy
07-20-2014, 04:06 PM
FFXIII is one of the worst RPG's ever made so I'll go with no. Maybe if you're into MMO's and want FFXIV, but best to ask people who've played it about that.

The PS3 is worth it for quite a few other titles though. Just not FF.

Ayen
07-20-2014, 04:09 PM
There are a lot of games on the PS3 worth buying the system for, Final Fantasy XIII isn't one of them, I'm afraid. I mentioned my problems with the game several times, and they're no different than a lot of the problems others have with the game. So if you don't mind a long, boring start, little to no exploration (in the first game, at least), a majority of flat characters, melodrama (though to be fair a lot of Japanese games are like that), and a turn-based battle system that doesn't let you control all your allies, knock yourself out. I ended up renting the game instead for seven bucks and am glad I didn't pay full price for it.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on the other hand, is a different story. But I think you're better off just getting that for the PC. Final Fantasy didn't have a lot to offer this past console generation, sadly.

Edit: Ninja'd by Vivi.

Psychotic
07-20-2014, 04:13 PM
I don't know. I think they steadily improved things, with XIII-2 being an improvement on XIII and Lightning Returns being an improvement on both. They're not entirely traditional FF games though, though with a lot of similarities.

Christmas
07-20-2014, 04:22 PM
Well, I bought a PS 2 for FFX and X-2. So if I start to play a lot of games again, I will get a PS 3. :bigsmile:

Or maybe an emulator when it's available. :bigsmile:

Wolf Kanno
07-20-2014, 07:23 PM
In terms of getting access to the widest selection of the FF series, it is a pretty good system since PSN will allow you to purchase most of the earlier games. You'll still miss out on some of the PS2 entries and possible FFIII and IV since I believe they are PSP exclusive but whatever. I am not fond of the PS ports of V and VI for the system but it's better and more cost effective than trying to track down the GBA titles and a system to play them on.

FFXIII is a terrible game and I cannot really recommend it, while the sequels drastically improve the gameplay, they find ways to make the awful plot of the first game even worse. Still, XIII is pretty much a love it/hate it, experience so there may be a chance you would enjoy it.

Karifean
07-20-2014, 07:41 PM
I don't know to how many games in the series you have access to, but if VII, VIII or IX are missing, I would recommend getting it. It also has V, VI, X/X-2 HD and quite a number of other games in the series.

Plus, there are other PS3 games worth a buy^^

Formalhaut
07-20-2014, 08:04 PM
Yeah, the PSN store has some great deals on some classic games. It's a shame I don't utilize it more, really.

jodymcdougle
07-24-2014, 03:04 AM
is the PS3 backwards compatible? can it play PS1 and PS2 games? I never did beat XII and I'd like to replay it. I'd also like to check out XIII just because I could say I've played it. the graphics are pretty nice, but I've heard mixed reviews on the battle system, story, and just the game in general...

I've read that there are specifics as to which unit will run PS2 discs. something to do with the GB of the unit purchased...? thought I would run the question here in case someone has experience.

Ayen
07-24-2014, 03:10 AM
is the PS3 backwards compatible? can it play PS1 and PS2 games? I never did beat XII and I'd like to replay it. I'd also like to check out XIII just because I could say I've played it. the graphics are pretty nice, but I've heard mixed reviews on the battle system, story, and just the game in general...

I've read that there are specifics as to which unit will run PS2 discs. something to do with the GB of the unit purchased...? thought I would run the question here in case someone has experience.

Depends which you get. I think the original fat one can play PS1 and PS2 games, but the slim can only play PS1 games.

Pumpkin
07-24-2014, 03:11 AM
Mine won't play PS2 but will play PS1. It's not a slim or anything

Ayen
07-24-2014, 03:13 AM
Mine won't play PS2 but will play PS1. It's not a slim or anything

Bleh. I know earlier models could play PS2 games too. Thought it might have been separated by fat and slim; guess I was wrong.

Vyk
07-24-2014, 08:16 AM
I believe there was like 3 models. But if I'm not mistaken, the most widely available one was the original fat 80 gig. I think there's a 60 gig version, and probably one other version. But it was all really wonky

I don't think a PS3 is worth buying for Final Fantasy games. Especially if you're talking about playing the original PS1 discs. You can do that with a PS2, and have... y'know... PS2 functionality. Which means you can play every numbered Final Fantasy game up through XII. And a couple of spin-offs

Even if you happen to be one of the people who end up liking FFXIII, it's hardly worth the gamble. And I highly doubt you'd really like the game THAT MUCH to justify such a purchase. But as people have said, the PS3 can stand on its own merits. If you want JRPGs in general, it's not a bad choice. But then again, neither was the PS2. You could have Tales of Xillia, or Tales of the Abyss. You could have Persona 3/4, Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga; or you could have Catherine, Agarest War, Valkyria Chronicles, No No Kuni. You could have Star Ocean Til the End of Time or Star Ocean A New Hope

But really, if you get a PS3, most of those PS2 games are available digitally.. Physical copies are generally more expensive. So it really just matters what interests you most

I think I'd personally go with the PS3, as I can get most of those games on there, and I can watch blu-ray movies, and Netflix, and YouTube on there as well (which I do; a LOT)

AssassinDX
07-24-2014, 09:29 AM
Vyk's right, there was an original 80GB version that could play a lot of PS2 games, then Sony realised the PS2 itself was still profitable at the time and discontinued it.

As mentioned the PS3 isn't worth getting for the Final Fantasy games alone, but there are loads of other excellent RPGs available on the console to justify the purchase.

Loony BoB
07-24-2014, 11:41 AM
Never buy a console for a single game. But do buy consoles that have games you want to play, provided you intend to keep said console and keep playing games. Personally, I would say the PS3 is one of the best consoles in gaming history when it comes to the depth and variety of games you can get on it.

I couldn't say FFXIII is worth buying a PS3 for. I couldn't say Uncharted 2 is worth buying a PS3 for, either, though, nor The Last of Us. But they are part of the bigger reason to buy the console: the solid number of incredible games that are definitely worth playing.

jodymcdougle
07-24-2014, 02:28 PM
But really, if you get a PS3, most of those PS2 games are available digitally.. Physical copies are generally more expensive. So it really just matters what interests you most

I think I'd personally go with the PS3, as I can get most of those games on there, and I can watch blu-ray movies, and Netflix, and YouTube on there as well (which I do; a LOT)

thank you for your response! it is very helpful! I'd always wanted to play the Star Ocean games! are they available on the PlayStation Network? I have a wiiU and a lot of titles can be purchased digitally, but a lot of games are also left out of the online market for some reason or another. is it similar with the PSN? thanks again for taking the time to give me specs and opinions!

jodymcdougle
07-24-2014, 02:31 PM
I couldn't say FFXIII is worth buying a PS3 for. I couldn't say Uncharted 2 is worth buying a PS3 for, either, though, nor The Last of Us. But they are part of the bigger reason to buy the console: the solid number of incredible games that are definitely worth playing.

thanks, loony bob! I don't have much money, so I was thinking "hey, if I could play THREE separate consoles game library, i'll get it!" I suppose. I didn't consider that there was an online market place to purchase games, because I haven't played anything Playstation since the PS2. I agree with you on not making a purchase for a single franchise. I made a similar decision when purchasing a wiiU. I love it! the games that I have are amazing! but very limited.

Mirage
07-24-2014, 02:47 PM
I don't regret my PS3 purchase at all, but I probably would have if I had bought it exclusively for FF13.

By the way, many cool PS2 games are available on PS3 through the PSN Store, even if you can't put PS2 discs into the machine to play them.