PDA

View Full Version : Are you a planner?

Ayen
07-21-2014, 05:55 AM
What it says on the tin. Are you the type of person who needs to plan stuff in advance or do you come up with stuff at the last minute?

I'm a planner, especially when it's in relation to my work. I need dates, and there are times these dates will span several months. Right now I already know what my work schedule is going into December. I don't like things popping up at the last minute. If you can give me two weeks notice, that'd be great. I hate it when my dad decides on something and I'll be the last person to hear about it. It drives me crazy!

Discuss.

Pumpkin
07-21-2014, 06:00 AM
I am a planner. Plans being left to the last minute stress me out like no ones's business. I need to know what's happening, when it's happening, and how it's happening almost immediately after the plans are made.

Like "Let's get together this week"
Okay, when? Saturday, Sunday? Morning, afternoon? What time? Where are we meeting? How long are we expecting this to last?

It drives me crazy the way sharky and his family plan stuff because they leave things to the last minute and even switch plans around and I can literally feel the stress building.

"Oh there's going to be a family dinner this weekend?"
"When?"
"I don't know, I'll find out"
Waits until day before to tell me
"Where?"
"I dunno, I'll found out"
WE HAVE TO GO TOMORROW ARE YOU KIDDING ME WITH THIS

I'm trying to be more flexible with his plans that I'm not involved in, but when I am involved I want to know what's going on right away. You know there's a dinner, you should know when and where it is or don't plan the dinner until you figure it out is my feelings on it

Lone Wolf Leonhart
07-21-2014, 07:51 AM
Not at all.

Should probably work on that.

Christmas
07-21-2014, 09:01 AM
I spend most of my time planning what I should plan and ended up not planning anything. :(

Old Manus
07-21-2014, 09:35 AM
Are you a planner? I hope not. I always wanted to be a ring binder.

Loony BoB
07-21-2014, 11:21 AM
I plan bigger things like holidays and whatnot quite far in advance. I plan my finances out carefully. What I don't do is plan what I'm going to be doing on any given night (ie, parties). If there's a party coming up, I'll be indifferent until that day as to whether I will go or not... I don't like going out when I'm tired from work, but you never know, I might have had a great day and feel up for it. However, if it's a great friend or someone traveling quite the distance then I can make exceptions to this rule. =] But local Edinburgh peeps? "Count me as a maybe."

~*~Celes~*~
07-21-2014, 11:48 AM
Yes, and I go nuts if things ever off course.

Shorty
07-21-2014, 05:28 PM
Yes, I am an obsessive planner. Lists, calendar entries, notes, oh god, the notes. But not about life. Just about short-term things.

I also do not like things happening unexpectedly unless I myself spontaneously decide them. If a friend texts me and is like "hey do you want to hang out in like thirty minutes" the first thing that comes to my head is "but that is going to cut into my slug time :|". I am a bad friend.

Mahad
07-21-2014, 09:43 PM
Not me, no. I keep the important stuff on mind, write down dates if I have to, but I don't sit down to carefully plan stuff if it doesn't call for much detail.

Iceglow
07-21-2014, 09:59 PM
I plan when necessary. For example: They weren't decided about whether me and my team would be working out of TCR next month whilst they renovate our office. I want to know for sure what I'm doing as I don't want to spend £130 on a travel card for the month unnecessarily, whilst I do want to know f that £130 can go towards my new TV like it was originally intended. It looks like we're staying put with our current location (this makes me happy) but it could change over the next few days.

However, when it comes to things like "Hey, lets hang out" or dates or whatever you wanna put out there I tend to be much more relaxed and fluid. This way I can't be disappointed by a last min cancellation or anything.

Alive-Cat
07-21-2014, 10:33 PM
I do a crazy person thing! :greenie:

What I do is: every single day, every single day, I will say to myself (outloud because it has to be outloud for some reason,) 'the plan for today is this: blah blah blah blah' right up until I go to sleep. Sometimes I say it more than twice, the same thing, you know, if I'm bored. Sometimes I'll do it for the next day/an important day that's coming up. Often it will be as specific as what I will be wearing/what I will eat. It makes me feel organised, calm and safe to do this strange thing :greenie:

Mirage
07-22-2014, 12:47 AM
I don't really plan, unless I'm dependent on things fitting with other people. If I tell someone i'm going to be somewhere at any given time, I'm always there and expect them to be at least as precise as what we agreed on, but when things only affect myself, I do almost everything without any sort of plan.

Spuuky
07-22-2014, 01:06 AM
I think I planned something once.

By the way, the "on the tin" gimmick that WK uses in his thread openers is stretched thin even by one person using.

Shiny
07-22-2014, 01:54 AM
I can plan, schedule, and budget the trout out of a film, but when it comes to my own life, not so much. I find that marking things on my physical calendar and Google calendar event reminds help tremendously.

Mirage
07-22-2014, 02:49 AM
I think I planned something once.

By the way, the "on the tin" gimmick that WK uses in his thread openers is stretched thin even by one person using.

well then, let's make it two-dimensionally tin

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
07-22-2014, 03:57 AM
I don't plan shit. I do pretty much everything on the fly. I might, say, plan as much as, I'm going to take a week and drive to so-and-so place. That is about the extent of my planning. No looking into hotels or where I'm gonna stay once I get there. Fuck that. I'll figure it out along the way. I think it is more fun like that.

As for budget planning and such. Also no. I spend my money until it is almost gone and then stop buying shit when the money runs out.

Psychotic
07-22-2014, 07:40 AM
I really vary.

Sometimes I'm really loose and disorganised, drifting aimlessly. Major event coming up? Ah, whatever will be will be, it'll sort itself out.

But then sometimes in my head, yeah, I plan to an extreme state. It can be about anything. Sometimes it's about such trivial and minor things. Going to the dentist? Plan the route (I've done it dozens of times) plan all possible parking spots (the same car park I use always has plenty of spaces) make sure I have change, plan what to do if something is wrong, think about conversations to have with workmates if they ask why I'm late and so on.

I often do it at EoFF, actually, if I make a controversial post. I just made one in the football thread and I fully expect lonny bob and maybe Old Manus to have a moan about it, and I know just what I will say to them when they do and what they will likely say to that reply too. Happens in Mafia too. Jen once said I am a move ahead in Mafia - you don't know the half of it! This is not to say, by the way, I am good at predicting what happens all the time. I get it wrong too!

I don't know why I can have a leisurely, calm, chilled out brain one minute and then a 100 mph let's work out every possibility for the future brain the next.

Old Manus
07-22-2014, 09:46 AM
I just made one in the football thread and I fully expect lonny bob and maybe Old Manus to have a moan about itI knew you'd know what I'd say and I knew what you'd say in reply. The conversation is complete ~in our minds~.

Psychotic
07-22-2014, 11:54 AM
I just made one in the football thread and I fully expect lonny bob and maybe Old Manus to have a moan about itI knew you'd know what I'd say and I knew what you'd say in reply. The conversation is complete ~in our minds~.I wasn't expecting a Heysel, gotta admit.

escobert
07-22-2014, 02:50 PM
Yes, I need to have a plan that I can go over 45,000 times in my head.

sharkythesharkdogg
07-23-2014, 10:22 PM
I have checklists for things like packing the race trailer, or certain projects, but as far as socializing I'm much more spur of the moment/go with the flow.