PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Final Fantasy VI has aged well?

Wolf Kanno
07-23-2014, 03:26 AM
I made a similar thread in the FFIV forums, but I'm curious to see what people think. Do you think Final Fantasy VI has aged well or do you feel its a relic of a bygone era?

VeloZer0
07-23-2014, 04:12 AM
I think it has aged well, but then again I don't like most new games so I don't know that I am the best sample size.

The Man
07-23-2014, 04:24 AM
Yes.

Christmas
07-23-2014, 04:34 AM
Aged well. :bigsmile:

And I feel I have aged along with it. :(

Ayen
07-23-2014, 07:34 AM
I was looking at some images of the original game a few weeks back, and I have to say that it has aged pretty beautifully. It just has one of those art designs that are timeless so you don't get a, "OH MY GOD THIS LOOKS SO BAD!" vibe shooting through your skull when you look at it.

metagloria
07-23-2014, 04:14 PM
I think the graphics are awful, compared to IV and V before it and Chrono Trigger alongside it. That part has aged poorly. (Though to be fair, VII has aged even worse in that regard.)

blackmage_nuke
07-23-2014, 05:09 PM
I think the Graphics have aged well. In terms of design it's still top notch. However the unbalanced battle mechanics has left actual gameplay to become duller upon each playthrough.

The Man
07-23-2014, 07:20 PM
The graphics still look great. Nuke is correct that the one thing that hasn't aged well is the gameplay, which is unbalanced in parts, but it's still better than FFVIII's or FFII's. *shudder*

Yellow_Magic
07-23-2014, 10:44 PM
Yeah, I think the graphics still look great - it probably helps that they're 2D and there's only so much you can do to make sprite-based games look better.

Gameplay and design have held up too for the most part, but by today's standards (like, FFXIII) the battles overall may be a bit too easy.

Dat Matt
07-23-2014, 11:40 PM
I played it not too long ago for the first time. The sprite art style is not for me, but the game is still good and plays well. Still stands up today.

Slothy
07-24-2014, 02:41 AM
The graphics still look great. Nuke is correct that the one thing that hasn't aged well is the gameplay, which is unbalanced in parts, but it's still better than FFVIII's or FFII's. *shudder*

It's hard to argue that the gameplay hasn't aged well when it's no more broken than a lot of JRPG's that came after. Hell, a lot of JRPG's didn't even progress from it in any meaningful way.

That I still played several RPG's that had worse gameplay in the PS2 era is both hilarious and disappointing.

Shiva95
07-24-2014, 03:30 AM
Yes, I think it aged well. The story is still really interesting, and the graphics are not too bad.

Psychotic
07-24-2014, 08:10 AM
It's not done badly, especially relative to other FFs. The script is probably a little dorky and amateurish in places though, which you don't really notice as a kid.

MJN SEIFER
07-26-2014, 05:09 AM
For the most part, yes it has aged well (which I say for all the FFs I have played), and anything that seems flawed probably seemed flawed back then to me, and is still endearing in it's own way (will explain further if you want).

CAST VOX
07-26-2014, 06:40 AM
It's aged much better than FF1, 2, 7, 8, and 10. Every single one those games either has gameplay (FF8), graphics (FF1&, 2, and 7), or writing (FF8&10)that's rather shitty in hindsight. FF6 isn't fucking timeless, but the story is more cheesy than bad, and the game is only completely broken if you grind for absolutely everything or have a guide with you for all the secret stuff (Gogo, Ultima, etc.). I still prefer FF5, due to it's job system and self-parodying aspect.
FF7's attempts to be serious fall apart the second I get to cross-dress, make the main male lead wear panties, or screw with Chocobo around for an eternity while the final boss just sits there playing with himself. Aside from that and the graphics, the gameplay is solid and its easily got one of the top three ps1 soundtracks.

Don't get me started on Balamb Garden being fucking Unicron run by Jaba the Hutt.

Spooniest
07-26-2014, 05:54 PM
Final Fantasy VI never ages. It's still FF6, even with the recent iOS port. We're the ones who age.

With that in mind, the gameplay does get dull with the passage of time. If it were reworked, I'd like it to be something like Final Fantasy Tactics' Charge Time Battle System...that'd be interesting.

MJN SEIFER
07-26-2014, 08:57 PM
It's aged much better than FF1, 2, 7, 8, and 10. Every single one those games either has gameplay (FF8), graphics (FF1&, 2, and 7), or writing (FF8&10)that's rather troutty in hindsight. FF6 isn't smurfing timeless, but the story is more cheesy than bad, and the game is only completely broken if you grind for absolutely everything or have a guide with you for all the secret stuff (Gogo, Ultima, etc.). I still prefer FF5, due to it's job system and self-parodying aspect.
FF7's attempts to be serious fall apart the second I get to cross-dress, make the main male lead wear panties, or screw with Chocobo around for an eternity while the final boss just sits there playing with himself. Aside from that and the graphics, the gameplay is solid and its easily got one of the top three ps1 soundtracks.

Don't get me started on Balamb Garden being smurfing Unicron run by Jaba the Hutt.
I'm afraid I dissagree with FF7 and FF8, I feel that they have aged well too, and still feel the story and graphics hold out very well (but notice the flaws in both). Each to their own though.

Ergroilnin
07-29-2014, 11:29 AM
I am sucker for this kind of graphics, to be honest I am not so proud of the ultra realism games (at least the bigger titles) try to imitate. If I wanted real life graphics, I would go outside.

Then there are FFVII and FFVIII which in my opinion aged much worse than the titles before because we are actually talking about full 3D which obviously was upgraded alot.

Levon
07-31-2014, 09:02 PM
Timeless graphics, world, story, characters, music, gameplay. So...yeah, it's aged pretty well.

Uchu
08-07-2014, 03:36 PM
I completed it recently for the first time and I think it has aged fairly well. I wish I had played it when it first came out, but I was still able to appreciate the technical achievements of the game for its time. I was also surprised how emotional the opera scene was when you consider by todays standards its nothing more that blips beeps. If I hadn't already, I definitely fell in love with the soundtrack at that point.

The game had personality, a little cheesy, but it was still enjoyable today. If a port was made in the same vein as PSP's Final Fantasy IV etc. I would definitely play it again.