PDA

View Full Version : Zack Fair: Badass Hero or Tragic Waste of a Life?

Wolf Kanno
07-23-2014, 03:55 AM
This is a divisive issue with my friends, many of whom worship FFVII, but I honestly prefer the narrative of Zack's death in the original game over his badass super melodramatic demise in Crisis Core. Don't get me wrong, the way they handled the final moments in CC especially the final battle is probably some of the most clever design to come out of SE at that time but I always hated how it retconned his character.

For those wondering what the hell I'm talking about, in the original, Zack and Cloud are running from pursuers and Zack drops off Cloud before fighting some of them off, then returns only to be surprised and get gunned down, the three soldiers walk up to Zack and shoot him in the head and leaves Cloud for dead. Finally Cloud finally wakes up, picks up Zack's sword Yells into the sky and we see Midgard.

g_SgvAb8W9M

In Crisis Core, Zack and Cloud are ambushed by the ShinRa army and Zack pretty much fights them all off finally succumbing to his injury before two of the remaining soldiers put two in his head, at which point Cloud wakes up and Zack gives him this long speech about living for the both of them and then gives Cloud his sword telling him he is his legacy before the scene fades, birds fly in the sky and Zack gets a send off in a 90s power ballet by Gackt.

ng5lFbeQSoQ

The thing is, I prefer the original, why there is enough offscreen possibilities for Zack to have been able to have a few badass moments, it still ends with the player proceeding to watch a figure die a senseless death despite being one of the most important figures to the plot. I love it because it shows how unfair the world can be cause Zack rescued Cloud and tried so hard to get them home but in the end he gets killed in the finish line. He dies, Cloud wakes up in time to find him dead, it rain and nothing, it is just a silent moment to reflect on the loss of a life and in the backdrop of Midgard it makes a pleasant analogy to the plight of the people of the slums, they die in the grandeur of Midgard but nobody cares except for the few who knew them. It is a true tragedy.

In Crisis Core, we get the Hollywood version where Zack didn't fight off maybe a small force, he fights off a huge army, almost single handily, he's not gunned down in the back by being caught off guard, no he was so smurfing badass that it took serious injury to finally weaken him enough for the small remains of the force to finally gun him down. He is conscious enough to give this long heart wrenching speech about legacy and being true to yourself and how much hope he is putting into Cloud who is the future (you would think Zack was an old man in his fifties but the two are only a few years apart in age.) before dying and being given a weird send off similar to both Tidus "death" and Spike Speigels' to some power ballad in the background. Its like 500.000x more awesome cause bro ya? Yet it isn't, it transforms Zack from a tragic figure to a martyr it elevates him beyond his role in the original proper and cheapens his legacy by transforming a quick and powerful moment into an over-dramatized pageant that checks off every element from the book of Hollywood nonsense to try to make a powerful moment better than it was before and completely break the message the original gave it. Its become gilded and feels cheap and I felt Zack deserved better. I know I am a minority on this one as most people feel CC did him justice but man I hate that game and everything it does to screw what was good about FFVII.

Pumpkin
07-23-2014, 03:57 AM
bad hair

That's my entire opinion on the matter

VeloZer0
07-23-2014, 04:11 AM
I agree entirely with your assessment, the compilation simply reeks of trying too hard to make everything seem awesome and bad-ass.

DarkBahamut
07-23-2014, 07:47 AM
The problem is Zack is already epic just because of a less than 10 minute homage to him in the original masterpiece. It had all we needed to know:

He was the 1st Class SOLDIER Cloud took the persona of.
He died a tragic, heroic death saving his newly made friend Cloud.

That was pretty epic for me knowing just this. He protected basically dead weight (Cloud as a vegetable) and saved his life, slowing him down during a life-threatening escape.

What else do you need to know about him?

metagloria
07-23-2014, 02:56 PM
There's nothing contradictory about the two accounts. Crisis Core's ending is the best ending.

Wolf Kanno
07-23-2014, 09:27 PM
Except the whole closing dialogue and the fact Zack isn't gone long enough to fight off an army, the whole scene in VII is treated as a moment of senseless loss as opposed to CC which treats it like THE EPIC OF TOTALLY SUPER SPECIAL AWESOMENESS THAT MAKES ME FEEL ALL TINGLY IN MY NETHERREGIONS OH GOD I NEED TO WATCH IT AGAIN JUST TO GET OFF!!!!

The original is better, more intelligent, and leaves leeway for the player to fill the whole, CC removes all thinking and tells you that you should be sad about this. It's insulting.

Dat Matt
07-23-2014, 11:46 PM
Working on crisis core speicifcally, I was heartbroken when Zack died. I grew to love him and his relationship with Areith. Cloud was just there for most the game, but Zack wouldn't let him go even if he was an empty shell.

Best FF protagonist for me by far. Why couldn't FF7 be all about him?

Formalhaut
07-24-2014, 01:03 AM
I sort of appreciate both 'tellings' of the same ending, that ending scene is heartbreaking.

Shiva95
07-24-2014, 03:15 AM
I prefer Crisis Core ending. It is really touching, and I prefer Zack over Cloud.

Ayen
07-24-2014, 03:23 AM
It's probably dangerous to apply logic to a Final Fantasy game, but how could he talk after being shot in the head?

Christmas
07-24-2014, 07:51 AM
Did he died a virgin? I always thought he's a player. :confused:

Carl the Llama
07-26-2014, 02:30 PM
I loved the game of Crisis Core, but the ending left a sour taste in my mouth, the way they made it seem like being Soldier 1st Class makes you into an immortal god, and yet somehow during the escape from the ShinRa in Junon, Barret & Cait Sith are able to topple multiple Soldier: 2nd and when in Midgar they are able to easily kill 1sts, am I supposed believe a small group of terrorists can kill these legendary fighters, while THE WHOLE SHINRA ARMY fight a single 1st and yet take ages and ages to kill him? It just makes no sense.

Also another thing that irritated me was how despite having 1HP for the longest time during that fight, he was still able to kill loads more. They took what was a tragic death, and turned him into an all American Action Star. It turned an otherwise highly enjoyable game into a joke.

Personally I would have preferred ShinRa to send an Anti-Soldier weapon after him, have him and Zack duke it out in a fight, Zack would win, but be weakened enough that a couple of grunts could finish him off.

Quindiana Jones
08-02-2014, 04:52 AM
I much prefer the senseless death over ACTION HERO ending, yeah. That type of realistic approach to story telling has always been a favourite of mine and, as you said, we infer the story from what we're seeing, rather than just being told the story. Much more engaging, I find.

Edge7
08-02-2014, 08:17 AM
I have a lot of problems with Crisis Core, most of them have to do with Project G (you like One Winged Angels? Have three of them!), but I didn't hate Zack's death (I'm a sucker for Spike Spiegel levels of heroic deaths). Granted, I like the brutal realism the original scene had, but I've always ignored the compilation when I replay the original, so the original death is the death I prefer.

Formalhaut
08-02-2014, 09:29 AM
I did like how the Digital Mind Wave breaks down as the fight lingers on, as if Zack's thoughts are frantic and breaking down, finally ending on Aerith's portrait. I thought that was a nice touch.

Spooniest
08-02-2014, 12:33 PM
It's strange; in a way, Zack is the real hero of FFVII, and he dies before the game even begins.

Reminds me of what Solid Snake says in MGS: "All the heroes I know are either dead or in prison."

But yeah, that hairdo has got to go.

Uchu
08-04-2014, 07:34 AM
Hey, this is my first post other than my introduction over in the Wander Square board so please check that out if you like.

But back to the topic at hand. Having just completed Crisis Core again and having it fresh in my memory, I feel that while CC is a great game and one I would play again in the future, it suffers from the same things that all the FFVII Compilation games suffer from, in that the whole ordeal is incredibly forced.

Zack's character fits with the impression i got from him from the short clips in FFVII.. a slightly cocky young recruit, but at heart friendly and not a bad guy. But he was also mysterious in that we didn't truly know a lot about him, this makes his death and connection to Cloud in the original much more meaningful while not taking the importance away from Cloud as the main protagonist.

CC wanted to tell Zack's story by trying to force new puzzle pieces (read: characters and scenarios) into FF7's world, where they didn't really fit all too well, and part of this is the death scene at the end. It's a dramatic scene and I felt sorry for Zack, but it also felt rushed and too over-the-top (yeah, it's fantasy but how many times can a guy be shot in the face and still chat about it afterwards).

If they had stayed more close to the original source material where Zack, after struggling to escape Shinra with Cloud, is killed with Midgar in sight, i feel the ending would have more impact as well as tug more on the nostalgia heart strings.

So, I prefer the narrative of the original.

Quindiana Jones
08-04-2014, 10:46 AM
Are you suggesting that Dirge of Cerberus was not a masterpiece of gaming? :stare:

Uchu
08-04-2014, 11:31 AM
Oh, Dirge of Cerberus was the highlight of the whole franchise. A fantastic blend of solid 3rd person action mixed with the thrill that only FF can provide. I mean, of course CC has problems when you compare it to such greatness.

And now this is where you tell me you *do* actually love DoC and that my sarcasm has insulted one of your favourite games isn't it... :erm:

Seriously though, I can't remember anything about it :lol:.

Ayen
08-04-2014, 11:35 AM
I remember hurling profanities at the snipers and customizing my gun.

Quindiana Jones
08-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Yeah, that's basically the whole game, to be honest.

metagloria
08-04-2014, 02:20 PM
Don't you badmouth any of the compilation of FF7! It's all perfect and wonderful :stare:

Quindiana Jones
08-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Make no mistake, I loved DoC. But mostly for the gun customising.

Hey, did anybody bother upgrading the pointless Toy Machine Gun first time around? No? Of course not. And didn't anybody ever play it a second time round? No, of course not. Most probably the most underused Ultima Weapon in any FF game. xD

Sephiroth
08-04-2014, 03:52 PM
Why do you say "no"? I upgraded it the first time possible and it is sure not underused but a total killer with different Barrels.

Uchu
08-05-2014, 02:35 AM
Make no mistake, I loved DoC. But mostly for the gun customising.

Hey, did anybody bother upgrading the pointless Toy Machine Gun first time around? No? Of course not. And didn't anybody ever play it a second time round? No, of course not. Most probably the most underused Ultima Weapon in any FF game. xD

That's cool. I was pretty much joking anyway as I remember getting relatively far into the story and enjoying it but stopped for some reason. But I do think it suffers from the some of the same issues i mentioned about CC, which ultimately stunted its potential. Shame really.

Forsaken Lover
08-17-2014, 12:06 AM
I liked when Zack charged up the stairs and into the Jenova room to confront Sephiroth.

Then he came flying out again, utterly defeated. After a battle that must have lasted....three seconds?

And then he lay there helpless.

Like a bitch.

Laddy
08-21-2014, 10:43 AM
I vastly prefer Zack's almost mythical role and death in the original.