PDA

View Full Version : The Commonwealth Games Discussion Thread - Glasgow 2014

Formalhaut
07-23-2014, 08:27 PM
So the latest Commonwealth Games (the 20th) have arrived to Glasgow and the opening ceremony is underway! Amid a Scottish independence referendum, it appears these games will appear to be pretty important both in sport and in politics!

If you're wondering just what the Commonwealth is, basically, the Commonwealth consists of countries that were all mostly part of the British empire, at one time or another, and the member states have no legal obligation to each other. There's probably more to it than just that, but I'm no expert!

It's held in Scotland, anyway, the home of some of our members! Who will be watching, or even following, the 'not quite the Olympics' sporting event?

Oh, and here's the mascot. Weird looking, I know.

http://i4.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article1341333.ece/alternates/s615/Clyde

Shauna
07-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Haha, Glasgow is woefully underprepared for this.

Formalhaut
07-23-2014, 08:38 PM
Haha, Glasgow is woefully underprepared for this.

Really? How so?

Psychotic
07-23-2014, 08:45 PM
The mascot is from Hell itself.

Shauna
07-23-2014, 08:47 PM
It's Glasgow. We'll do our damnedest, but it really is not the greatest locale. It is a tiny wee city with a lot of problems. We'll muddle through. xD

And yes, the mascot is terrifying. It matches the dumb Commonwealth uniforms for Scotland. So many terrible decisions. :stare:

Aulayna
07-23-2014, 09:52 PM
Hey look, all of New Zealand is wearing BoB's shirt!

Aulayna
07-23-2014, 10:40 PM
It's Glasgow. We'll do our damnedest, but it really is not the greatest locale. It is a tiny wee city with a lot of problems. We'll muddle through. xD

And yes, the mascot is terrifying. It matches the dumb Commonwealth uniforms for Scotland. So many terrible decisions. :stare:

To be fair, pretty much everyone in London thought the same thing about the Olympics and most were convinced it'd go horribly wrong. I'm sure Glasgow will be fine!

Shauna
07-23-2014, 10:42 PM
I don't doubt things will go fine. The Queen in Celtic Park though? What were they thinking!

I'm mostly just being horrible about my home city. xD

UGH SCOTLAND OUTFITS CRINGE :(

Aulayna
07-23-2014, 10:48 PM
Haha yeah those outfits!

Aulayna
07-23-2014, 11:08 PM
All night long; Guys, guys, guys we want you to take part in this UNICEF thing that's never been done before. Stay tuned to find out what you can do.

BIG RELEVATION

Text this phone number and donate £5.

/floored

Old Manus
07-23-2014, 11:21 PM
Vowed not to watch it after the ridiculous display of sycophancy from the BBC with incredibly over-the-top, wall to wall coverage of it at every given opportunity. Gary Lineker wouldn't shut up about it while the World Cup was on, for chrissakes. I heard "The Commonwealths are bigger and better than the Olympics" actually being used unironically.

Mo-Nercy
07-24-2014, 07:20 AM
'straya!! Hopefully, we'll top the medal tally again.

Formalhaut
07-27-2014, 02:08 PM
So far in the Games, literally everything is going as expected. Now Day Four in the games, and Australia is top, followed by England and then Scotland.

The funny thing is people are going on as if Scotland and England doing well is highly surprising and worthy of much praise. It's only the Commonwealth Games, which features countries I think I've only barely heard of.

Mo-Nercy
07-27-2014, 03:15 PM
Australia was almost upset by Wales in the Rugby 7s earlier, but we got home after the siren.Yay!

Formalhaut
07-27-2014, 07:43 PM
I'm finding the wrestling style announcing in the pool to be disconcerting. It's something like, "in lane seven... MATTHEW DAWSON!!".

Aulayna
07-27-2014, 07:44 PM
Trott finally got a gold :bigsmile:

Formalhaut
07-28-2014, 02:18 PM
I have to say the Squash is a great sport, and surprised that it isn't an Olympic sport. If golf is now an Olympic sport, why not Squash?