PDA

View Full Version : Are you a completionist?

Ergroilnin
07-24-2014, 03:49 PM
Okay so this time I want to ask you about you and your FF perfect game obsessions!

Are you or at least were you one of those that simply had to get everything in the game, max everything possible etc.? If so in which FFs you achieved the perfect game status?

I myself never really bothered with the "perfect game" in any of the FFs for various reasons like there are sidequests way too annoying to conquer completely (blitzball), there being simply too many things to get (FFXII), it being simply impossible for me (FFIX PG with Excalibur II without skipping FMVs on PAL), not having an absolute form of being perfected (Again FFIX comes to mind with maxing stat having many stat paths that you have subjectively select) etc.

I however always aim to beat all of the game superbosses without any cheap moves like The End/Zanmato or easy exploits (Paralyzing Ruby Weapon comes to mind) and trying to beat them the "proper" way or on the contrary making it even harder on myself (lvl 1 Ozma).

So, what about you? To be honest I kind of hope we do have at least one or two active completionist members :P

metagloria
07-24-2014, 03:53 PM
I consider myself a rational completionist. In other words, I am going to do every sidequest, beat every optional boss, explore every area, and all that. But I'm not going to necessarily get every item (or, yevon forbid, 99 of every item!), max stats (except in X), or get Excalibur II.

So like you, I am obsessed with completion, but unlike you, I'm willing to dive into the deep sidequests and NOT willing to every fight Ozma at level 1. Diff'rent strokes. :)

Ergroilnin
07-24-2014, 04:01 PM
There's also one more reason I can't simply go full out completion. I couldn't just go for the officially acknowledged numbers like for equip "have one for each character + 1 extra for inventory". If there was possibility of getting 99 of them I would have to. I have that kind of overboard attitude.

Christmas
07-24-2014, 04:03 PM
Oh hell yes I am!! I always make sure I get everything and anything!! Even things that don't exist in the game!!! :hot:

I hack :bigsmile:

:save: Final Fantasy Hunt and Guess:save:

Check out the details (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/158449-Final-Fantasy-Hunt-and-Guess!) here!

http://i.imgur.com/ZdZU2dW.png

jodymcdougle
07-24-2014, 04:43 PM
I try to at least make an attempt at completing 100% of the game. fighting alternate bosses, collecting alternate gear, etc. if the game has an alternate ending, you'd best believe I'm going to get that. ;o)

Mo-Nercy
07-24-2014, 04:47 PM
For me, it depends on the game.

If by completing the game, we're talking about doing all the sidequests, defeating the optional bosses and all that other relatively accessible stuff - I've done everything there is to do in FFVII-FFIX and FFXII (Excalibur II only with FMV skipping though.. actually, I didn't know you could do it on PAL without resorting to it). The only thing holding me back from knocking over FFX is lightning dodging. I've also only beaten Penance with Yojimbo, so I probably shouldn't get the brownie points for that either. With all the older FFs, I'm happy to just clock the story and do a few sidequests to get the better weapons.

If we're talking maxxing out stats, getting 99 of every item... Nah.

VeloZer0
07-24-2014, 06:53 PM
I used to be, but not so much anymore. (Disgaea broke me of that habit.) Given how busy I am I just go until it doesn't seem fun anymore and then stop.

Ayen
07-24-2014, 07:30 PM
I've never cared to get 100% competition.

Pike
07-24-2014, 07:32 PM
I've never cared to get 100% competition.

Same. In my experience focusing on 100% completion usually makes the game far less fun for me so I just don't bother with it.

Dat Matt
07-24-2014, 07:41 PM
The term completionist can mean different things to different people. My 100% completion of Bravely Default resulted in getting all characters to level 99, maxing all the jobs and getting true ending. Skyblade on the other had may still be playing bravely default in his quest to see all the dialouge, get 99 of each item, fight every optional boss for the 3rd time or so.

To me it's seeing everything there is to see in a game before throwing in the towel and calling it a day.

metagloria
07-24-2014, 08:33 PM
seeing everything there is to see in a game

This is basically the way to summarize it for me. It's about respecting what the developers put into the game. They designed all these sidequests, so I'm going to try to do all of them, to get the complete game experience. But they never intended for me to get 99 of every item, and I wouldn't have fun doing so.

Wolf Kanno
07-25-2014, 09:45 PM
I'm too busy to devote that much time to a game anymore and some things (like maxed out levels) are just not fun to do or add anything to the game.

I do keep certain aspects of completionism for replays of old games though, I still want to play the original FFIV and do a run-through where I get every item in the game including the adamant armor cause I have never done it, but like hell I'm going to get a complete set for my final party, fuck that shit.

If the game is simple enough or I discover halfway through that I am not far from actually doing a perfect game, I have no issue going for it. I do like some player challenges but I never do them very often mainly cause I have a hard enough time justifying replaying a game when I have a backlog to get to.

Rin Heartilly
10-16-2014, 01:05 PM
Story, quests, sidequests, minigames, bosses, and secret bosses = yes

99x every item, beating game on lvl 1...etc = no