PDA

View Full Version : The Interior Decorating Thrad (AKA Help A Sista Owt)!

noxious.sunshine
07-25-2014, 03:40 AM
WE GOT OUR APARTMENT! omgomgomgomgomgomgomgogm I'm sooooo excited! And relieved. I'm in tears right now.

We're pretty well gonna be broke for the next year after paying a bajillion dollars in deposits and for puppy and rent and everything.

BUT. We need new furniture and I want to get new bedding (and eventually a new mattress 'cuz I'm starting to hate ours) and good plates and a table and chairs and curtains and rugs and EVERYTHING.

I'm pretty well stuck on the whole turquoise/yellow thing, but it just doesn't make sense to do it in the living room, kitchen, bathroom, AND bedroom. :/

But I want to stick with brighter colors. We won't be painting or anything like that, but just as far as furniture and stuff.

As far as a couch and chairs go, I absolutely -do not- want brown. It's done to death and I hate it. I'm thinking like charcoal grey or even a bit of a lighter shade. I think it'd go well with just about anything we decide on as far as rugs & curtains and things.

anywho. HALP!

Shorty
07-25-2014, 04:18 AM
WeHeartIt.com > Apartment Therapy (http://weheartit.com/search/entries?utf8=%E2%9C%93&ac=0&query=apartment+therapy&commit=) Have fun.

Collecting furniture, though - I usually go for craigslist, ikea, or thrift stores. Ikea will probably be your best bet for fast color coordination.

Do not get too light or too dark of furniture. Dog hair will show up horribly, no matter how often you clean it. My mom's boxer sheds like mad and it's a nightmare.

fire_of_avalon
07-25-2014, 04:22 AM
Charcoal and dove grey would be awesome living room.colors because you could still have turquoise and yellow accents in pillows, drapes, art, etc. I love it. I love it and I haven't seen it yet.

noxious.sunshine
07-25-2014, 06:11 AM
Your mom rocks. :D Cuz we're getting a boxer. hehe.

But yeah, that's kinda why I'm wanting to go for a grey tone of some sort.

But like as far as other rooms in general.. What do y'all think? I absolutely do not want no dark red bs for a kitchen. I'm not running an Italian restaurant. :D

Christmas
07-25-2014, 07:16 AM
Will there be a child living in the house? Using bright colours will liven the place up especially the child. :bigsmile:

Mo-Nercy
07-25-2014, 02:09 PM
A grey couch works well. I decorated my last place with a light grey couch and chaise, contrasted it with a glossy black coffee table. We messed around with colours in the ornamental things, like flowers, photos and my sports memorabilia collection (:D), so the whole room wasn't just shades of white, grey and black. And despite our constant changing around of stuff around the room, the grey couch always seemed to fit right in.

Other tips?
Instantly make your bedroom pretty with an awesome headboard, and position your bed in such a way so that it's the first thing anyone notices when they walk in.

Psychotic
07-25-2014, 02:34 PM
Olive + aubergine = :up:

~*~Celes~*~
07-25-2014, 04:14 PM
I've always liked turqouise as a bathroom color! Orange or green would make great kitchen colors, even together!

One place that'd be great for inspiration is pinterest. If you're not into that, maybe just googling "orange kitchen" and looking at the pictures could give you ideas. I do this a lot when I'm fantasizing :D Google gave me this (one of many) for turqoise bathroom: http://st.houzz.com/simgs/b72157ae0f9068cb_4-1605/eclectic-bathroom.jpg

One great thing about the internet: inspiration is virtually endless! :D

Pumpkin
07-25-2014, 04:18 PM
What colour are your kitchen counters? That will help determine things as well. And cabinets and such if you don't want to pain those.

I've always wanted a mint green or a light yellow kitchen, and we have brownish/beige countertops, which is why we've decided to go with the yellow for our kitchen when we move. I've always liked blue bathrooms but we have wall tiles that are a bit more of a chore to replace sadly.

If you go for a silver/grey living area, make sure you use accent colours (which I'm pretty sure you said you were doing anyway) otherwise the room could easily feel drab, or even heavy depending on the colours you use. There are plenty of furniture colours that go well in a silver/grey living space so that shouldn't be a problem.

That's not just in reference to painting, I was using that as an example and you said you aren't painting, but for furniture and what have you. If you get a grey couch, use some accents, or if you find your living space overwhelmingly silver, an accent couch could look nice.

noxious.sunshine
07-25-2014, 05:06 PM
Yeah, I want to do a grey couch with turquoise and yellow. There's one of those unfinished wood furniture stores somewhere in th area we're moving to, I may get a new coffee table, sand it down, and paint it. I could do it with the one we have now, but I'm really tired of leftovers and hand me downs and am itching for like all new stuff.

The kitchen is just your basic light neutrals, nothing fancy. It's just large enough for a small little breakfast table at the far end beside the window, so again, may find something and paint it. Maybe like a bright orange table top and a bold blue color for the bottom & legs.. I've pretty well fallen in love with so-called "Mexican colors" for dishware- surprisingly, Pier 1 isn't that expensive. Tarjay has cute stuff too, but I no know.

:D I keep forgetting that I'm living with 2 guys and I'm like "I should think of them probably", but then I'm like "NOPE. They're colorblind and probably don't care anyway."

~*~Celes~*~
07-25-2014, 05:57 PM
my rule of thumb is if they don't give you their input, they can deal with it! Orange and blue are lovely together <3

Shorty
07-25-2014, 05:58 PM
ps, seconding that I really like the greys + a popping color or two. Charcoal, dove, lemon and turquoise would be so bomb. Get some chevron pillows for your couches! oh my god I want to decorate so badly ;-;

noxious.sunshine
07-25-2014, 06:41 PM
Come decorate my place, beesh! You're gonna be here soon aren't you?

Shorty
07-25-2014, 06:41 PM
We'll see D: some things may be changing, I don't know what's going to happen right now.

MissH
07-28-2014, 06:17 PM
Check out pinterest- they have amazing ideas for everything including interior design and ways to make things cheaper for you!

Good luck!

noxious.sunshine
07-29-2014, 06:54 AM
Thanks y'all!

lol I was on the phone with our roommate the other day and he mentioned looking on Craigslist for furniture (that he'll pay for. Dude has a good chunk of money in his savings account), but I was like ".......... Maybe.. Jay & I really want to get good furniture that we'll have for a long time. We're tired of 2nd hand and hand me downs..."