PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Tidus's name never being said in game?

Ergroilnin
07-25-2014, 08:59 AM
Of course I know that it's because you can actually choose his name but I think they could've totally handle it better, like this:

Make two VA versions of every line his name appears in. If yo simply choose the default Tidus, then they would actually call him that way in the game and if you gave him your own name, the lines would be the same way they are now.

I mean there aren't even that many lines where they actually address him so it wouldn't really take much more time or money and it wouldn't be hard on programming either.

So how do you think they should've handled this?

radicaledward124
07-25-2014, 09:00 AM
I agree with you. It's not as if it would have taken that much more to do that really. while i don't know much about coding I do know that something like that isn't hard to pull off.

Ayen
07-25-2014, 09:10 AM
Never noticed the lack of it that much, to be honest. I also never played the game with his default name, so even if they had done it that way I never would have known.

Psychotic
07-25-2014, 09:28 AM
I didn't notice it for a long time, but I think later on there's a sphere of Yuna talking about what all of her Guardians mean to her and she says something like "And our newest guardian, star player of the Zanarkand Abes!" and that made me realise it, and from that point on I actually find it really jarring. I just think they should've removed the option to call Tidus whatever.

Ergroilnin
07-25-2014, 09:32 AM
Well alot of people interested in challenges call Tidus for exampe: NSGNCNO so they can easily differentiate between multiple challenges, so if they removed the naming, they should also give you the option to name the saves (which would for me personally be the best way to go).

Old Manus
07-25-2014, 12:52 PM
If you think about it, nobody ever actually asks his name, so it's not surprising they you never hear it.

Pumpkin
07-25-2014, 01:48 PM
It was a bit odd, yeah. I like Suikoden where they insert the name and leave it silent in speech, so you can choose the name, but you can also tell people are using it.

That sounds totally awkward but they managed to pull it off very well in V

metagloria
07-25-2014, 03:39 PM
Star Ocean 3 let you change the name, but still said the original name in the dialogue. I'm okay with that. (Although I've never taken advantage of it, except once changing Fayt to F8 for the lulz)

The weird thing about X is that they let you name Tidus, then they never say his name...but you don't get to name anyone else. What's the point of getting to name one character? They probably should've just left it in and removed the naming option altogether.

jodymcdougle
07-25-2014, 04:47 PM
if there was a way for the game to recognize whether or not the player had entered a different name other than "Tidus", I think that it would have been pretty cool for the other voice acting characters, or text dialogue, to say his name a little more.

Formalhaut
07-25-2014, 05:17 PM
I never really noticed it, really.

Shorty
07-25-2014, 05:55 PM
The creators knew the incorrect pronunciation would be enough to put Americans off from the game. Smart move, imo.

Skyblade
07-25-2014, 06:24 PM
It bugged me in X-2, but I never noticed in X.

Kalevala
07-25-2014, 11:32 PM
It bugged me in X-2, but I never noticed in X.

Ditto.

I would have preferred it if they removed the option to name him. Although, the series and its peers developed a tradition of playable character name customization. I understand why they might have been reluctant to cut that feature.

Scotty_ffgamer
07-26-2014, 06:02 AM
I agree with the X-2 thoughts. I noticed it in X, but I thought they handled it really well. The thing on the sphere Psychotic brought up was the only time it kind of bothered me. I find it more jarring when games will insert your name in the text but leave it silent. The worst was Tales of the World (or whatever that PSP game was called) where your friend would say "my partner" in the dialogue while your name shows up in text. That was awful.

Also, I just like to think Jecht never actually gave Tidus a name, and that's why it's never actually mentioned. He just doesn't have one.

Colonel Angus
07-26-2014, 06:12 AM
The creators knew the incorrect pronunciation would be enough to put Americans off from the game. Smart move, imo.
It's technically the correct pronunciation, but it's just a terrible one. But I do agree w/ you. They should've just named him タイダズ & everyone would've been happy.

Teedus :barf:

Pete for President
07-26-2014, 11:21 AM
There is actually a blitzball player in Guadosalam who calls Tidus by name or whatever name you have put in. That's the only instance I know of. :shifty:

For the voice acting it would have been a massive job to do all sentences with his name twice. Don't underestimate how many tries it takes to get a good take, let alone match the sequence of visuals behind it as it would be different timing with name as opposed to no name.

Jinx
07-26-2014, 11:32 AM
As others have said, I found it much more jarring in FFX-2. "Him" is what they call Tidus. It's ridiculous. xD

ScottNUMBERS
07-26-2014, 11:56 AM
I bugged me quite a lot. I would rather they just called him Tidus than give us the option to name him, but only providing it was pronounced correctly.

Parker
07-27-2014, 04:38 PM
Yea, I don't see why they didn't just force a name on him. Two VA tracks would be ridiculous. I don't get why people really want to name characters anyway, aside from for comedy purposes. I don't think I've ever spoken to anyone about the age of 7 who particularly wanted to name characters.

Jinx
07-27-2014, 05:00 PM
I never understood why they didn't force a name on him considering that every other PC in the game had a name. And you could name your aeons, so it wasn't like there was no personalization in the game.