PDA

View Full Version : Solo Run

Colonel Angus
07-26-2014, 02:30 AM
Right now I'm trying a Red Mage Solo Run Challenge. So far I've died a few times (three times to Lizards, a few times to Ghouls in the Chaos Shrine). The beginning is actually pretty easy. Ghouls are tough due to the paralysis. Lizards just hit hard.

Anyone else attempting one of these?

Ayen
07-26-2014, 02:37 AM
Nope. I'm not big on challenges.

Rez09
07-27-2014, 08:28 PM
I did a solo white wizard run a long time ago. It was tedious as all hell, but I did manage to finish the game.

That RUSE spam.

Colonel Angus
07-27-2014, 08:41 PM
I'd imagine the White Mage one to be complicated.

The Red Mage has a hard enough time against large parties of monsters. I'm @ lv. 28 & have just cleared out all of the treasures secured by the Magic Key.

Astos was surprisingly easy. In just 4 rds. he was done in by a Haste + Temper combo. Fortunately, his Death spell missed. For the Piscodemons, I had to fight them 3 times before I lucked into a pair of them.

I find Paralysis the most frustrating thing yet. @ times you'll snap out of it after a couple of waves of beating, other times you're being worn out right away.

Rez09
07-27-2014, 10:51 PM
Paralysis and failed run attempts are the worst. It got to the point that I just reset whenever I got paralyzed because, far too often, I'd lose 80% of my hp due to paralysis, finally get to put in a command, then get paralyzed again and die anyway. >_< It also didn't help that the run command is bugged in the NES version.

Colonel Angus
07-27-2014, 11:12 PM
That's why I'm not even bothering w/ the NES version. GBA for this run, even though the Mythril Sword wasn't available in Elfheim.

metagloria
07-28-2014, 02:51 PM
I would never do a challenge run like this without the ability to state-save. And probably not even then. This game is hard enough with a party of four.

Colonel Angus
07-28-2014, 11:45 PM
I would never do a challenge run like this without the ability to state-save. And probably not even then. This game is hard enough with a party of four.
On the GBA version you can save anywhere outside of battle. I couldn't do this @ all on the NES version. The NES version hit % is so bugged, a Red Mage wouldn't land 4 hits before biting the dust. Plus, many of the necessary spells just don't work on the NES (like Temper).

metagloria
07-29-2014, 07:00 PM
On the GBA version you can save anywhere outside of battle. I couldn't do this @ all on the NES version. The NES version hit % is so bugged, a Red Mage wouldn't land 4 hits before biting the dust. Plus, many of the necessary spells just don't work on the NES (like Temper).

Yeah but the GBA version is so much easier all around, what with MP and such.

Colonel Angus
07-30-2014, 12:20 AM

There are 4 things that stand out that make the GBA version easier (outside of the bug fixes); lower prices, MP, save anywhere, & the ability to drop spells & purchase new ones.

However, to counter that, Monsters hit a lot harder (I'm a mid 30s Red Mage & Gigas hit regularly for 50 HP), Magic is weaker (Fira barely does 65 damage to even the weakest enemies) & I feel the random battles occur more often.

CAST VOX
07-30-2014, 04:49 AM

There are 4 things that stand out that make the GBA version easier (outside of the bug fixes); lower prices, MP, save anywhere, & the ability to drop spells & purchase new ones.

However, to counter that, Monsters hit a lot harder (I'm a mid 30s Red Mage & Gigas hit regularly for 50 HP), Magic is weaker (Fira barely does 65 damage to even the weakest enemies) & I feel the random battles occur more often.
The GBA remake is just the overall better version in every way because of those things. My only complaint is that thieves and ninja are kinda worthless what with the lack of steal/mug/throw/etc. Missed opportunity if there ever was one.
I recall there being a hack that made the GBA game as hard as the original without being as frustrating or broken. There was also a hack for the original NES ROM that fixed all the bugs and glitches.

Will you be doing the bonus dungeons? XD

Colonel Angus
07-30-2014, 05:11 AM
I might try, but I didn't even finish them when I first played. @ that time I'll be Lvl. 99, so anything's possible.

theundeadhero
08-01-2014, 07:10 AM
I did a solo no-upgrade fighter on the NES a long time ago for the Eyes on plays FF1. It's the only time I ever tried.

Quindiana Jones
08-02-2014, 04:46 AM
Damn, this sounds mighty tricky! I couldn't even complete the game with a full party when I last played it! :p

Colonel Angus
08-02-2014, 05:00 AM
Who'd you use in your party?

It can be tricky. But really, all you need to do is try & try again. The save anywhere feature of the GBA version is a blessing. I know I'll need it when I make it to the Ice Cavern.

Something I don't think I've mentioned. Leveling is incredibly easy, since the exp. doesn't split 4 ways. You'll get to Lvl. 10 in no time before having to face Garland, who'll go down in a couple of turns.

Quindiana Jones
08-02-2014, 05:05 AM
Pretty sure I went the standard Fighter, Thief, White Mage, Black Mage route. xD

Should mention this was on a NES emulator!

Colonel Angus
08-02-2014, 05:08 AM
Now, if you're going to play the NES version on an emulator, I would recommend a bug fix hack. They're out there, & the game plays so much better than the original, but retains the charm of the 8-bit graphics.