PDA

View Full Version : Summons in Final Fantasy XV

Freya
07-28-2014, 03:41 PM

So we have seen Leviathan in the trailers. Only one so far. So what's the deal with summons. Ion an interview last year in 2013, Nomura had said that summons will be in ranks. Leviathan being a top-ranking summon is why he's so large. Also that they have to be defeated before they can be acquired. Levianthan seems to be the Summon for the water city "Accordo".

58471Now I have a theory that the nations have summons attached like check out

http://25.media.tumblr.com/0add458ba119a2786cd3f7c7fb6211d2/tumblr_mor4pbBViU1rmlmsso1_1280.jpgIt resembles odin/diablos/doomtrain. Possibly doomtrain more than anything. If so the last time that was seen was in FFVIII. So that would be interesting if that is their summon. This is possible as Nomura has already went back to his VIII design of behemoth (http://z5.ifrm.com/30005/144/0/p1057092/Behemoth.jpg). As we saw (https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1002955_10151560410908369_1411197292_n.jpg) in the gameplay trailer, it could be a bit of stretch though because behemoth hasn't changed too terribly much.

Then we have Nilfhiem's which looks like a dragon which could stand for bahamut. This would make sense as they are supposed to be the antagonist family/country. So having a bad ass king of dragons would fit this country best.

Last we have the hooded man. He has a wolf on his shoulder (stark? ;P) Which could mean he's from another country entirely. Or it could mean he's from a lesser house and therefore his summon is smaller and ranked lower. It could possibly stand for Fenrir.

If that's right then that means each sigil for each house would have a summon. And if you have to beat the summon to acquire, maybe this is also a way for you to get other houses to join you? Maybe. Also Accordo would have been Leviathan and we see Noctis running to fight him. What could possibly have happened is that he got there when Nilfheim was getting attacked and they used their crystal to defend themselves?

What summons do you want to see? What do you think of this theory?

Formalhaut
07-28-2014, 03:59 PM
I would love to see Doomtrain again!

Isn't Noctis part of a house? Wouldn't that mean he has his own personal summon, or am I completely wrong on that?

Freya
07-28-2014, 04:00 PM
He's part of Lucis. He's the prince!

What other summon would you like to see? I want carbuncle part of some small adorable nice house.

metagloria
07-28-2014, 04:00 PM
I would love to see these classic summons come back, and I love the look of Leviathan. Give me monsters, none of this transformers garbage like in XIII. I'd love a Doomtrain appearance, along with long-lost friends like Terrato/Midgardsormr (always the coolest Earth-based summon).

Formalhaut
07-28-2014, 04:03 PM
He's part of Lucis. He's the prince!

I knew he was a prince, I forgot for who! In that case, having doomtrain as his house summon would be great.

What other summon would you like to see? I want carbuncle part of some small adorable nice house.

I'd like to see Carbuncle as well, but I'm not sure how many nice houses there will be in this pretty gloomy world.

Freya
07-28-2014, 04:07 PM
You know now that I think about it I think they are going for more creature like summons, moving away from human like ones. So that would eliminate a lot of the favorites, Odin, Shiva, Ramah etc etc

Pumpkin
07-28-2014, 04:08 PM
Ugh that Leviathan intimidates the poop out of me. I have no idea how I'm going to make it through this game :(

Freya
07-28-2014, 04:09 PM
Be the badass we know you can be shion! Kick Leviathan's butt and then make him your summon.

Pumpkin
07-28-2014, 04:11 PM
I want to, I really like Leviathan! I just fear things that are like 1000x my size

NO BIGGY JUST GONNA GO BEAT UP THIS MASSIVE WATER SERPENT ITS ALL GOOD HAHAHAHahahahaahahahahahaha

Formalhaut
07-28-2014, 04:13 PM
These huge summons in a way remind me of that game, Shadow of the Colossus. Facing huge monsters while you yourself are pretty small.

Freya
07-28-2014, 04:15 PM
I really like the fact that they are huge. It gives them more of an awe. Like that they really are ferocious creatures with crazy amount of power. That's what I liked in IX how you had bahamut, odin and Alexander being absolutely huge and destroying shit.

I also like that they are ranked. You can have a huge one or possibly a small carbuncle (hopefully)

Pumpkin
07-28-2014, 04:17 PM
Yeah its definitely a good thing they're actually to size. I mean, I'm pretty sure that leviathan is supposed to be intimidating so... mission accomplished :lol:

I just have a hard time with the big enemies for some reason. It is my cross to bear as a modern gamer because STUFF BE GETTIN BIG

Formalhaut
07-28-2014, 04:29 PM
I do hope that large doesn't always = powerful. I wouldn't want the smaller summons (like Carbuncle, possibly) to be overshadowed. Smaller sized summons can be powerful too!

Depression Moon
07-28-2014, 05:57 PM
Carbuncle does nothing but cast Reflectga anyway.

Formalhaut
07-28-2014, 07:26 PM
Carbuncle does nothing but cast Reflectga anyway.

But they could make Carbuncle more than cast Reflect magic (which is of situational use at the best of times), you know, improve the summon.

Colonel Angus
07-29-2014, 12:44 AM
Carbuncle should have ruby rays shoot from his eyes like Cyclops of the X-Men.

I'd be glad if they didn't use all the same old summons as they have in the past. How many games are going to have Ifrit/Flamer? I'd like new summons for Fire/Lit/Ice.

FFFFsephychibi
07-31-2014, 02:13 PM
Did anyone else notice in the E3 2013 trailer, (watch in slowmo on youtube) leviathan near the end there has created a tornado whirlpool with all the parts of the city flying around it, and all the water magic cast looks like a leviathan/serpent... Kind of intrigued now how magic will work with summons. Just never noticed it could destroy an entire city/nation.

Can someone clarify this for me: I still can't figure out if that city is lucis, I'm confused the darker one that looks like tokyo I always feel fits the description of lucis more. But its interesting, from that trailer I got them impression that entire city is destroyed, swallowed by leviathan... pretty good potential beginning maybe?

metagloria
07-31-2014, 02:46 PM
Did anyone else notice in the E3 2013 trailer, (watch in slowmo on youtube) leviathan near the end there has created a tornado whirlpool with all the parts of the city flying around it, and all the water magic cast looks like a leviathan/serpent... Kind of intrigued now how magic will work with summons. Just never noticed it could destroy an entire city/nation.

Can someone clarify this for me: I still can't figure out if that city is lucis, I'm confused the darker one that looks like tokyo I always feel fits the description of lucis more. But its interesting, from that trailer I got them impression that entire city is destroyed, swallowed by leviathan... pretty good potential beginning maybe?

Sounds like Sin/Zanarkand at the beginning of X.

Freya
07-31-2014, 03:59 PM
That city that Leviathan is at is supposedly Accordo.

That one!

I think possibly, and here's my plot tinfoil hat theory, that there is a family or country stealing the crystals and the crystals are what controls the summons for that family/city. I think Leviathan's crystal is stolen and then they use their own summon against the city after they steal it. Because we know Lucis is the last one with a crystal or something and that baddies are coming to take it.

DMKA
08-01-2014, 03:38 AM
I'm just worried about whether they'll be useful or not. The battles in this game so far are looking most like those of FFXII, and summons were utterly useless in that game.

Psychotic
08-01-2014, 08:03 AM
I think the battles are more like those of KH, and summons were pretty handy in that.

Ayen
08-04-2014, 05:05 PM
I like the idea of the houses sigils representing their summons, but I'm not digging the idea of all these houses and stuff in general. Ever since the wolf sigil was revealed on the hooded man people haven't stopped making jokes that he's a Stark, and with an old man that resembles Tywin and a person donning a dragon sigil this game is going to be cast in Game of Thrones' shadow. And as much as I like GoT, I'm kind of getting tired of seeing it everywhere I go. :eep:

Freya
08-04-2014, 06:17 PM
It wasn't based off Game of Thrones. It was based off of mafia things like the godfather. It's why the character "Cor Leonis is a Latin phrase that means "Heart of the Lion", or "Lion's heart" which could be a reference to a reoccurring name in the series(squall). It is also similar to the fictitious mafia family, Corleone, from the novel The Godfather."

As I wrote for the character bios. So not everything is Game of Thrones. Go watch some godfather, tori ;)

The stark thing is more of a joke than anything. So it'll be everywhere. Plus we're still mad about Ned and the red wedding :colbert: Lannisters :argh:

Ayen
08-04-2014, 06:23 PM
Doesn't matter if it's based off Game of Thrones or not, I can still see people making the parallels. They already are.

Anyways, I hope they don't stick exclusively to animals and we see Shiva and Ifrit make an appearance. They're my favorites. It'd be fine if they were just paintings in an art gallery or something, if nothing else.

fat_moogle
03-17-2015, 01:38 AM
So apparently Ramuh is in the demo and the summoning animation is meant to be amazing! I really want to watch it to see how it looks, but I'm going to wait until Friday when I play Episode Duscae for myself! :3

metagloria
03-17-2015, 02:36 AM
I watched the video of you-know-who from the demo and promptly had to change my pants. :omgomg: x 99999

Noctis Caelum
03-17-2015, 05:24 AM
If you want to see the new summon, watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK3HNm6wH0c

Looks completely ****ing surreal.

McLovin'
03-17-2015, 07:48 AM
That. Was. Biblical.

Elpizo
03-17-2015, 08:02 AM
Think it's really cool and very much welcome that they're returning Summons back to the "OMG awesome" summon sequences again, after fifteen years of "innovating" summons.

fat_moogle
03-17-2015, 10:34 AM
If you want to see the new summon, watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK3HNm6wH0c

Looks completely ****ing surreal.
Must resist the temptation! Only 3 days left :D

Think it's really cool and very much welcome that they're returning Summons back to the "OMG awesome" summon sequences again, after fifteen years of "innovating" summons.
Can't believe it's been 15 years since FFIX o.O That's crazy. I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks because so far I've heard nothing but praise for how epic it is.

Tyson
03-17-2015, 11:01 AM
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just watched the summon gameplay, was way better then I was expecting! Never thought we'd get back to the awesome summon animations of the Square Soft games. That was mind boggling.

Loony BoB
03-17-2015, 11:05 AM
I like the idea of the most powerful summons being those of the house sigil things. I'm not sure that would be Doomtrain though. It would be genuinely weird to have a house with Doomtrain as it's sigil. More likely would be Diablos. I love Doomtrain to bits, but... a sigil of him for a house would be genuinely weird.

Shauna
03-17-2015, 12:10 PM
I like the idea of the most powerful summons being those of the house sigil things. I'm not sure that would be Doomtrain though. It would be genuinely weird to have a house with Doomtrain as it's sigil. More likely would be Diablos. I love Doomtrain to bits, but... a sigil of him for a house would be genuinely weird.

All hail House Doomtrain!

https://img1.etsystatic.com/049/0/9412013/il_570xN.683258825_sm2e.jpg

Freya
03-17-2015, 05:53 PM
HOLY CRAP THAT SUMMON ANIMATION OMG

Noctis Caelum
03-17-2015, 09:33 PM
Seems as though the general consensus, even among the snooty old school FF fans that hate the new shit, is that people are liking what XV is doing so far. It's nice to see Square taking the things we know and love, and actually doing something new and different. And how it actually all looks truly next gen and amazing.

Meltdown
03-18-2015, 01:35 AM
How many summons do you think the world of XV will have? Heck, I'd settle for just a small handful if the summon animation for You-Know-Who is anything to go by, and I'm hoping they include Alexander this time around. The Gothic architecture in some of the locations just screams Alexander!

Finally, I'm glad to see the return of 'traditional' summoning (or so it appears for now at least). I was always a huge fan of the enter/destroy/exit PSX style (and to some extent X's summoning system too), but lately the summons have been really underwhelming, most likely due to making them controllable whilst having to deal with the hardware limitations of the time.

Fox
03-18-2015, 01:47 AM
I wonder how the mechanics will work for it in the final game. Seemed to be some kinda near-death limit break thing from what I saw of le demo.

In terms of how many, t's hard to say. But I'm hoping we get all the iconic ones. Ifrit, Shiva, Bahamut, Chocobo Mog etc.

Meltdown
03-18-2015, 01:56 AM
Apparently the summon system is still in prototype stage so the near-death limit may have been a placeholder activation method for now. But even if not I'd be fine with that, so long as each one had specific/different requirements you had to meet to summon.

Iconic ones FTW. Can't wait to see the designs of those based on the ones we've already seen (hurry up SE)!

Kozmos
03-18-2015, 04:15 AM
In the teaser at the end of the demo, it looks like the major summons of the game have been revealed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92r0t7-_NYc

It looks like: Ramuh, Siren, Titan, Shiva, then a horned and winged dude who could be Bahamut/Diablos/Death. At the bottom is Leviathan and... Ultros!?!?! :D

Noctis Caelum
03-18-2015, 08:14 AM
Apparently the summon system is still in prototype stage so the near-death limit may have been a placeholder activation method for now. But even if not I'd be fine with that, so long as each one had specific/different requirements you had to meet to summon.

Iconic ones FTW. Can't wait to see the designs of those based on the ones we've already seen (hurry up SE)!
Well, it obviously won't be how we saw in that other video. Noctis ran out of HP, which then allowed you to activate the summon. And said summon used an attack that dealt out 99999 damage. Call me cynical, but I think it was more of a "flashy" reveal, then how it's actually going to be utilized.

If that is how it's used, it would be game breaking. Here guys, don't play our game, just die and summon ultra powerful eidolons to win the battle for you.

I don't see that going over well.

Loony BoB
03-18-2015, 11:14 AM
I really hope Ifrit is in there. I know he's usually the weakest, but he is one of my faves because his designs are always awesome.

DanielCLFFF13
03-18-2015, 11:23 AM
Does that mean we can't summon if the player is still on full HP?
I mean the animation is sure outstanding...
But I'm gonna miss the summon where we can control the summon itself like in Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII and Final Fantasy XIII, also Final Fantasy Type-0 (I mean from what I saw in youtube) haven't played any other than the ones that already come to PC and emulator :p
Although yeah Type-0 summoning system is almost the same as Final Fantasy XV
Sure the animation is amazing... totally...

Since I know it's still on development... 6361963618

But this is my opinion :)

Meltdown
03-18-2015, 12:34 PM
If that is how it's used, it would be game breaking. Here guys, don't play our game, just die and summon ultra powerful eidolons to win the battle for you.

But you don't gain EXP for using summons, so that helps to balance things out (at least as far as we can tell). And also I never said this would apply to all summons, though I'm looking forward to how they finally pull the summon system off in the actual game.

スコール・レオンハート
03-30-2015, 04:57 AM
I can't confirm but the image that show up at the end of the demo can reveal the summons we can expect to see:

I can see Etro in the top then the Knights of the Round (OMFG!!) around her, and on the right side Ramuh, Shiva, Titan and Leviathan.
On the left side we have Diablos, Siren and Kraken or Ultros. The two simetrical angels on the bottom can be Brothers.

I don't know who are the people on the middle of the image, maybe it's some reference to the ones who rule the kingdoms.
And the people at the bottom represent the common people.

Loony BoB
03-30-2015, 12:55 PM
#BringBackIfrit

Fox
03-31-2015, 12:31 AM
I don't see Chocobo Mog. What gives?

fat_moogle
03-31-2015, 12:38 AM
I don't see Chocobo Mog. What gives?

Maybe it's a secret summon? :D

デイブくん
04-12-2015, 09:51 PM
Hello there! I just registered here and wanna share a pic I've seen in other forums. :D

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/9/99265/4472597-etro+artwork.jpg

I wish they really are the knights of the round :D

Freya
04-12-2015, 11:36 PM
ooooo that is an interesting picture.

Mirage
04-12-2015, 11:40 PM
Looks cool but the way summons are implemented in the demo very dumb. It has no real tactical or strategic value, and existing completely separated from other battle mechanics. If you're good, you'll never use them. If you aren't good, you'll be able to use it as a crutch for everything that is a bit hard, instead of having to improve your skills, tactics or strategies.

Let's just hope this is just a temporary implementation for this demo only.

Shauna
04-13-2015, 09:58 AM
Hello there! I just registered here and wanna share a pic I've seen in other forums. :D

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/9/99265/4472597-etro+artwork.jpg

I wish they really are the knights of the round :D

Oooh cool!

Welcome and thanks for sharing. :)

Lawr
04-13-2015, 11:15 PM
Looks cool but the way summons are implemented in the demo very dumb. It has no real tactical or strategic value, and existing completely separated from other battle mechanics. If you're good, you'll never use them. If you aren't good, you'll be able to use it as a crutch for everything that is a bit hard, instead of having to improve your skills, tactics or strategies.

Let's just hope this is just a temporary implementation for this demo only.

Ramuh being the demo's "Oh-Shit!" button was clearly just for show. I'm sure there are more interactive summons/more interactive versions of the summons in the full game. But I don't see the problem with them being a separate element from gameplay anyway, since that's how they've been in almost every FF ever.

Mirage
04-14-2015, 01:34 AM
In some, not all. Often times, summon power depends significatly on the summoner's level of strength (FF10), and their use sometimes affects overall strength of that character ( having multiple FF7 summons eat enormous amounts of max hp).

Who knows what they plan on doing with them. If it was only the power level of Ramuh that was altered for the demo, that doesn't bode well.

Lawr
04-14-2015, 03:14 AM
Well the Summons themselves seem to be very crucial to the game's lore and story so I really doubt they're gonna drop the ball! But I guess we should expect anything from Square-Enix.