PDA

View Full Version : Blitzing for some prizes!

Formalhaut
07-29-2014, 02:15 AM
When I first played FFX, I never touched Blitzball. I hated it. Part of it is because of that first match against the Luca Goers that tears my hair out every time. I mean, if I went and did karate for the first time and they pitted me up against their resident black belt, I would leave there feeling pretty discouraged.

But this HD remaster play-through however, I was going to play some. I would finally get Wakka's three other overdrives and actually power up his celestial weapon this time! I so far have his Attack Reels.

I went into this with much dread. "How long is this going to take", I keep asking myself. The mini-games that FFX has are pretty shocking, and all make you want to curl up in a ball and die, including thunder dodging, chocobo racing and that butterfly game. Blitzball is another that is either liked or hated, though mostly thought of as a chore just to get his overdrives and sigil.

But I found this killer strategy, using Brother and a few other players. Because Brother is so fast, he can just lure the opposing players away and then pass to my attackers, who then score. I'm actually finding Blitzball rather fun now! Tournaments are the best because they're over quite quickly. Getting the Status Reels and Sigils will take quite a long time.

How did you guys find Blitzball, particularly the overdrive and sigil finding?

Tavrobel
07-29-2014, 02:48 AM
I personally found it to be one of the easy Overdrive/Weapon sets to get, comparatively. Tournaments and league reset prizes fairly often, so if the prize you need doesn't show up (which they should, because they get priority over other prizes), just reset the prizes. It shouldn't take more than 20 games.

Your strategy is fairly common among those who bother to play Blitzball; it's known that Brother is broken OP because his speed stat rises so much faster than the other options. Compare, Tidus with a top speed of 73 at level 99, and even then he is one of the lucky ones who even gets a growth in speed. You're actually wasting time trying to get other people to score, just score with Brother 3 times, and then pass the ball to your defenders for the next 4 minutes so that they get the same amount of EXP.

Formalhaut
07-29-2014, 02:57 AM
Your strategy is fairly common among those who bother to play Blitzball

I don't intend to continue after grabbing Wakka's loot though!

Pumpkin
07-29-2014, 03:31 AM
I hate Blitzball. I usually manage to win the mandatory match by scoring a goal and then running out the clock

The fans must hate me

blackmage_nuke
07-29-2014, 05:48 AM
I wait until Wakka becomes available for hire then reset the minigame so everyone's level goes back to 1 until one of Wakka's prizes come up then go buy brother/biggs/wedge/wakka complete whatever tournament/league I need to then never play again

Noire
07-29-2014, 10:00 AM
I've always hated Blitzball, and absolutely nothing changed - I loathed every second I spent on it. It took me about four hours to get what I needed for the trophies associated with it, so I guess it could have been a lot worse, but I really struggled to get into it initially. I only played the mandatory game in the original, so it was almost a completely new thing for me this go around. I kept losing constantly (despite using recommended team setups online) and then something suddenly clicked, and it just became a matter of enduring the matches. I typically just scored a goal with Brother and then spent the rest of the match doing loops around the stadium with him...he's ridiculously fast. xD

Shauna
07-29-2014, 10:38 AM
Manual control makes winners in Blitzball. Also Brother.

louby_4eva
07-29-2014, 12:45 PM
I love blitzball :D although it ca be a bit of a grind getting the sigil and overdrives. I just kept the original team though, no real strategy.

Mo-Nercy
07-30-2014, 01:36 AM
I really like Blitzball. It's definitely not what the intro scene of Tidus playing in Zanarkand leads you to believe it might be, but it's still fun in its own way.

Yeah, the speed strategy works well. Brother, Naida and Datto are all great for this. Nedus too, but that's not till Level 99.

The need to
bait opposing players and lure them becomes even less important if you get Jecht Shot with Tidus, the enemy defence might as well not even exist. Even more so with Jecht Shot 2.

Another easy way to dominate would be to grind up your levels. Just enter a tournament and hog the ball, passing it safely between everyone, keeping the score tied. Because it's in tournament and not league or exhibition, you get unlimited overtime as long as the scores stay level. Do this for 15 mins or so for every tournament match before scoring the winning goal and your levels will skyrocket, especially early in the game.