PDA

View Full Version : Macbook pro help running maverick

radicaledward124
07-29-2014, 05:53 AM
So please don't start by telling me to burn, break or otherwise destroy my laptop ok? I've been using macs for about 4 years now and I think i've heard it all, so please, lets just skip that part.

So I upgraded to mavericks recently and I noticed after i installed windows. (Don't ask the school made a dumb move.) when i used the option key to choose the boot disk there is a recovery drive there that i'm not sure should be there. and then theres the trouble that windows saw 2 other partitions that the mac side says aren't there. I need to know how to restorer my mac to one image with out the partitions. Im getting a tower from my step dad to run windows on for school, so i don't need to make the unholy combo of windows on my macbook.

Now I have looked through the apple support forums and i couldn't find anything that helped so I dunno what to do from here. The mac says theres only one partition when in the mac os, but i'm not totally sure that's what's really there, especially since the recovery drive thing is there when i use the startup drive option with the option key.

any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

CimminyCricket
07-29-2014, 03:29 PM
Did you do a fresh install of windows on that partition or did you use boot camp? If you did a fresh install the recovery partition you see that 'shouldn't be there' is most likely the recovery partition for windows. It may also be the recovery partition for 10.9.4 and if it is, there's a good chance it will let you manage the whole disk. If not, let me know and I'll do some playing around with my Mac and we'll see what we can come up with.

On a side note, if you haven't already, back up your data to an external drive using the time machine.

escobert
07-29-2014, 08:15 PM
You need to brush up on your witchcraft :)

*apple products run on witchcraft

Or go back to the glorious pre witchcraft 8.6!

In all reality, I have no idea I stopped using macs after they went to OS9. I would think the recovery partition would be from windows since windows always does that normally.

radicaledward124
07-31-2014, 03:18 AM
So i went into the disc utility and was able to basically undo the partition and restore the disc to one image so that worked. And i was able to get a good install sort of but now it wont install the UDK says i need at least windows xp Service pack 3 but it has windows 7 and the service pack 1, so i dunno what to do there.. but i did get it to work at once disc but i have to cover my butt and make sure i can get my work done for school.

CimminyCricket
08-01-2014, 04:55 AM
You should be fine with Win7 and Service pack 1. You might have to try and install it using compatibility mode, but that shouldn't be a problem either. Congrats on figuring out the partition :D

radicaledward124
08-01-2014, 11:44 AM
i actually gave up on windows on my mac. It's nothing but a pain and would install the program I went through this whole mess for! So pointless completely . Im just gonna steal my dad's till my tower comes in. bleh stupid crap.