PDA

View Full Version : Best Tales Game?

Pumpkin
07-29-2014, 06:21 AM
Which in your opinion is the best tales game?

I'm going with Xillia as its the only one I've played :3:

radicaledward124
07-29-2014, 06:32 AM
I played Legenda that was a fun one for me. i really enjoyed it, I hope to play Xillia soon, I just needs the munnies to buy it.

Scotty_ffgamer
07-29-2014, 07:08 PM
I've only played Symphonia a little back when it first came out. I rented it and couldn't get very far, but the game was pretty swell! I also have Tales of the World or something like that for the PSP, but I didn't like it very much. Gotta go with Symphonia!

metagloria
07-29-2014, 07:57 PM
Of the two I've played (Vesperia and Graces f), I enjoyed the combat/skills/questing about the same, but preferred the characters and story in Graces f.

Shauna
07-29-2014, 08:03 PM
I've played Tales of Symphonia, Vesperia, Graces f and Xillia.

I like them all, but the one I think I enjoyed most waaaaas Vesperia. The characters were great, the story was fun, and I liked how broken everything could be.

Vyk
07-29-2014, 09:14 PM
Played Destiny, Symphonia, Vesperia, and Xillia. I think that's it. The only one I've beaten was Xillia. The others were a little slow and drawn out. Didn't hate them or anything, though Destiny was prone to having fake-out endings. I had to have been 90% done with that game. But after the fourth time I thought I was going to the end boss fight and some twist in the story happened, I gave up. Xillia kinda does the same thing, but it's a lot more enjoyable ride in my opinion. And I never made it that far in the others that I've played

Xillia wins for me for having enjoyable characters and story, but most for the fast crazy frantic and fun battle system. One of the few RPGs where I actually looked forward to getting into fights. Playing co-op probably helped. And NOT playing co-op probably hindered my opinion of the others. But whatever. They're all competent and enjoyable games

Noire
07-29-2014, 09:44 PM
I've played Symphonia, Dawn of the New World, Abyss, Vesperia, Radiant Mythology, Phantasia, Xillia, Graces f and Eternia (which I think is all of the ones released in EU territories currently...) and I think of all of them the one I enjoyed the most was actually Eternia, on the PSP. I find Meredy to be such a wonderfully endearing character, and whilst the combat system felt quite clunky on the PSP (a trait it shared with the two Star Ocean remakes) I had so much more fun exploring the world. Symphonia had the better plot, and a significantly better villain, but the experience was just much memorable on PSP.

Dat Matt
07-29-2014, 11:56 PM
Symphonia, Vesperia, Graces F and Xillia here.

Verperia is my favourite of the 4 so far.

Scotty_ffgamer
07-30-2014, 12:50 AM
Oh, I forgot about Vesperia. That one was really good the bit I played of it before I no longer had a 360. I wish we had a PS3 version here...

Edge7
07-30-2014, 03:10 AM
Between my brother and myself, we've played the entire series (including Rebirth and Destiny 2) :p. Of the ones I've played, my favorite has to be either Abyss or the PS1 version of Phantasia. However, I liked Legendia's OST enough to import the entire soundtrack (I don't believe in pirating music by the album).Seriously guys, if any of you folks enjoy listening to video game music you need to check this game's soundtrack out.

Seeking Victory (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDXJ6e0klyw)

The Bird Chirps, I Sing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bckgyhCo7Lw)

Chasing Shirley (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STECZM97-gY)

Rez09
08-05-2014, 05:22 AM
I have played most of the series, Rebirth, Destiny 2, Innocence, Vs., and Radiant Mythology being notable ones I've missed, and PSX Tales of Phantasia is far and away my favorite title in the series, with the original version of Tales of Destiny being a close enough second. Wasn't too big on the remake of ToD, though; it is a really good remake, and better than the original game in most ways, but I cannot stand the CC system.

Agent Proto
08-05-2014, 06:11 AM
I've played Tales of Symphonia, Tales of The Abyss, and ToS: Dawn of The New World. I really liked the story to Tales of Symphonia, even though it's cliched at many parts, but I enjoyed the gameplays for Tales of The Abyss much better. It's quite of a toss-up between the two for me though.

Motdrafin
08-05-2014, 01:43 PM
I've played Phantasia, Abyss, and Xillia. For me, it goes Abyss>Phantasia>>>>>>>>Xillia. I love Abyss's storyline and characters, and I love Phantasia's soundtrack, storyline, difficulty, and character artwork. I do not like Xillia as much, though.

Pumpkin
08-05-2014, 01:44 PM
That's interesting! I'm quite enjoying Xillia. What do you think makes it inferior to the other two?

Also, just ordered Abyss, and I still have Symphonia to play. So exciting to discover a new series :jess:

Vyk
08-05-2014, 09:30 PM
Just a fair warning. I've heard from MANY people that the main protagonist in Abyss is borderline unbearable in the beginning, and thus gives him MUCH more room to grow into someone worthwhile throughout the game. Which is a main reason why most of the people I know love the game, because it's like the pinnacle of character development. I haven't tried it myself, but figured you should be warned that he MAY grate on your nerves in the beginning. Though I think you have a high tolerance. Regardless however, it seems he gets better and the wait would be worth it either way

Just saying, because I think going in blindly to something like that would totally turn me off. I've quite on quite a few games due to unlikable characters being too early and too prevalent in a game

Pumpkin
08-05-2014, 09:38 PM
I can usually tolerate a terrible character as long as there's also one to offset it. I don't think it would cause me to stop playing right away, but thanks for the heads up so I know in case he does turn out to be too much at first

Bright Shield
08-06-2014, 02:56 PM
I found it to be the opposite. Luke was hilarious at the beginning of Abyss. He devolves into a typical generic hero though(only he's a bit more whiny).

Motdrafin
08-06-2014, 04:51 PM
I didn't really like Xillia's soundtrack or story, and also I found character model's faces to look a little awkward compared to the anime cutscenes or skits. Also, some voice acting is pretty bad, notably Teepo's. He's really annoying!! Compared to Phantasia and Abyss, Xillia falls short.. Just my opinion, though.

Pumpkin
08-06-2014, 08:59 PM
How differently do Abyss and Xillia and Symphonia play? Do they all have links and arts and relatively the same controls? Do I decide my part leader and the one I'm controlling in all of them?

Shauna
08-06-2014, 09:11 PM
All the Tales games have mildly different battle systems - they're usually fairly similar overall, but the nuances can be different.

Vyk
08-07-2014, 04:40 AM
Xillia introduced links, and it's insanely fast by comparison, so you might have to get used to the slower pacing of the older games. I do believe in the older ones you are forced to walk the overworld as the protagonist and not a character of your choice (I think? it may have been altered in a few possibly more recent ones I haven't played as much or don't remember as much). But otherwise the feel and atmosphere and pacing is similar. Battles are always real-time for instance

Pumpkin
08-12-2014, 06:17 AM
So far I think I like Xillia more, but its hard to say as I'm not super far in to Abyss. It's made me very excited for Symphonia!

It's funny, I really had no interest in the series but I kept hearing about it so I said I guess I'll try one and I went for Xillia. That one got me excited for another one so I got Abyss. Which has me excited for Symphonia. Now I'm trying to think of others I'd like to try when I'm done Abyss and Symphonia

Vyk
08-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Graces or Vesperia probably, if you have access to their consoles. Probably Vesperia preferrably as it's in like everyone's top three in the series, it's a lot of people's outright favorite

Pumpkin
08-12-2014, 05:15 PM
I have a 360 sort of but it's at sharky's work. Still not impossible to borrow if I need to. I have Eternal Sonata on it