PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the HD?

Ergroilnin
07-29-2014, 09:14 AM
So, do you?

I started playing just yesterday (just for half hour so far tho) and I have sorta mixed feelings atm. While the overall graphics is definitely nicer, I really don't like Tidus new face and too blue eyes and the new interface in both battle and status screen. But Auron is even sexier, cannot deny my hidden gayness for him anymore.

What about you? Was it like that for you too but you grew soon fond of it or was is awkward the rest of game?

Noire
07-29-2014, 09:55 AM
I never really noticed it, to be honest. Sure, it's really noticeable when you compare it to the PS2 version, but it's been such a long time since I played it that when I started it up it was like I had always played it with those graphics. I would have been just as happy with a direct port; I didn't really care about the updated graphics. xD

Shauna
07-29-2014, 10:37 AM
I have barely noticed, tbh. It looks much prettier and that's all I take from it. It is essentially the same game underneath.

Aulayna
07-29-2014, 11:36 AM
I love it. Although it's sometimes a bit jarring when you see the cuboid non-major characters talking to the major characters in cutscene.

Tidus: I look fabulous in full HD
Random NPC: I look like Minecraft in HD

arenzi
07-29-2014, 11:48 AM
I think it's great but I also notice Tidus's new face. I can't unsee his old one even if I didn't play it for many years. Now he just looks more feminine to me that it sort of bothers me.

Mirage
07-29-2014, 12:18 PM
I like it. Apart from the minecraft NPCs, but I thought they looked bad in the PS2 version too.

Formalhaut
07-30-2014, 01:28 PM
Tidus's new face I sort of grew used to it, but Yuna's face and her darker hair took some getting used to. The less detailed NPCs were slightly jarring at first, but again, you get used to it.

And I have to say, I prefer the music in the HD to the original, mostly.

Mirage
07-30-2014, 03:10 PM
I prefer the new music too to be honest. What I don't like however, is that the new "streamed" music in FFX-2 doesn't loop properly.

Formalhaut
07-30-2014, 03:29 PM
I prefer the new music too to be honest. What I don't like however, is that the new "streamed" music in FFX-2 doesn't loop properly.

Streamed?

Mirage
07-30-2014, 07:10 PM
A stream of frequencies, like in a wav, mp3, wma or whatever file. A stream of sounds, so to say, as opposed to music that is generated in the sound synthesizer of a console as a list of instruments (or a mini-program that runs on the chip to generate a certain sound) and a digital equivalent of sheet music, such as midi, or the "sound fonts" used in the PS2 and also SNES or GBA music. The latter uses a lot less storage space, and is usually easier to loop, and the quality greatly depends on the power of the sound synth in whichever device. A streamed audio file always sounds the same and doesn't depend on hardware as much in order to be consistent in quality.

For example, the SNES has a much better sound chip than the GBA, so when you feed the GBA chip with the "sheet music" from FF6, the output music is of a much lower quality than it was on the SNES, and some instruments don't even sound the same. However, if the games had used mp3 or some other format like that, they'd sound almost identical without any work needed to be done to the files. However, the "sheet music" files are in the range of a 10-100 kb for a track, while an mp3 would have required several megabytes, which is kind of a problem when your game carts are like 8 MB in total.

A good analogy is realtime cutscenes versus pre-rendered videos in games.

Ergroilnin
07-31-2014, 11:28 AM
While there is still alot I am not in terms with, there are already few things that make me like the HD.

1) The game looks like I remember it from 10 years ago. Seriously when you go and play old game you thought looked amazing just to find out it's not so stunning anymore, you get a little depressed about it. The HD actually looks like what I have in my memories from back then.
2) Lulu's boobs, can't blame me ey?
3) HD scenes looks amazing!
4) STAY AWAY FROM THE SUMMONER!

the holy meteor
08-05-2014, 05:57 PM
I have the exact same feelings about the HD graphics as Ergroilnin has already mentioned - I'm just as impressed as I was when I played FFX on the PS2 when it first released.

Well, I had some expectations for the HD remake, maybe too many. A major thing I can really distinguish between the HD and the PS2 is the irritatingly small menu/dialog font that's pretty much used in every recent game.

I hoped they would make the characters' lips sync with the voices, but they didn't, which is okay. I've noticed that the characters appear to be more expressive in cutscenes, such as Wakka when Al Bhed are brought up in a conversation, etc.

Overall, the game is stunning and I'm glad the international version features are now available here in the States.

TidusReborn
12-09-2014, 11:46 AM
I love it. Although it's sometimes a bit jarring when you see the cuboid non-major characters talking to the major characters in cutscene.

Tidus: I look fabulous in full HD
Random NPC: I look like Minecraft in HD

YES!

Especially the Guado and their Karate Chop hands........

TidusReborn
12-09-2014, 11:51 AM
While there is still alot I am not in terms with, there are already few things that make me like the HD.

1) The game looks like I remember it from 10 years ago. Seriously when you go and play old game you thought looked amazing just to find out it's not so stunning anymore, you get a little depressed about it. The HD actually looks like what I have in my memories from back then.

That's actually a rare accomplishment......

Going back looking the graphics for Madden 98, Gameday 98, WWF on N64........it's CRAZY How bad the graphics were!!!!! :eek: :eek:

http://www.gamerevolution.com/images/games/n64/wrestlemania_2000/wrestlemania_2000_004.jpg

Alonzo_
12-10-2014, 08:06 PM
I haven't played the hd version sadly but I would love to see this scene on a big hd tv screen I get shivers just looking at it

Mirage
12-10-2014, 09:06 PM
Too bad the prerendered cut scenes aren't in higher definition.

Alonzo_
12-10-2014, 09:14 PM
Too bad the prerendered cut scenes aren't in higher definition.

:cry:

chionos
12-10-2014, 09:22 PM
It's a mixed bag. I think there are places where the HD really improves the game, and it's sincerely beautiful, but that also just makes the un-HD or unimproved elements more obvious and more grating, especially on a 52" screen. Overall impression is favorable, though.

Jinx
12-10-2014, 09:37 PM
It's a mixed bag. I think there are places where the HD really improves the game, and it's sincerely beautiful, but that also just makes the un-HD or unimproved elements more obvious and more grating, especially on a 52" screen. Overall impression is favorable, though.

This. I haven't played it, but I've watched Shauna and Dat Matt play it. Also, it gets negative points from me for the remixes of the music.

I'll just stick with the original.

TidusReborn
12-11-2014, 01:11 AM
Exactlty! The time and money spent redoing music could have been utilized improving the graphics further....

If this PS4 business is true.... HOPEFULLY they have an extra guy or 2 working on more graphic upgrades while the code guys are busy doing the porting.

Knock that out, toss in the new assets... BOOM awesomeness

Mirage
12-11-2014, 01:15 AM
It's not gonna happen. Seriously guys, it'll run in 1080p but that's it.

Also I like the new music. The old music sounds a bit flat here and there now.

Cleric
12-16-2014, 02:11 AM
I haven't played the hd version sadly but I would love to see this scene on a big hd tv screen I get shivers just looking at it
This is the wallpaper on my PS3. Looks amazing.

TidusReborn
12-18-2014, 11:01 AM
I quit after dying from lightning for the 10000th time :shifty:

I'm thinking i'll start over when the PS4 comes out

Richard
05-01-2015, 08:03 PM
Its really good. The HD version...being the International had features the PS2 version didn't have at all. That and I can mod my save file, something I had to use a Game Shark before on the old PS2 version.