PDA

View Full Version : go PlayStation!

Masamunemaster
07-29-2014, 06:23 PM
so I was hacked by the fifa hacker....

I called PlayStation Support many times, and they were going to take the charges of my account, yay right? Well I got a denial email. Turns out I would have to pay the $150 just to get my account back even though I didn't purchase them. Well here I am making a new account trying to copy my save files over, and I apparently can't copy demon souls:/

Had anyone else had this kind of.....happiness with psn?

Ergroilnin
07-29-2014, 06:45 PM
Oh man I feel ya, I had hacked account once (though not PSN) and trying to get through thick head of support was insane. I seriously hope it won't happen again to neither of us!

Masamunemaster
07-30-2014, 01:43 AM
I pretty much cussed the guy out, wouldn't let me finish a sentence, kept saying everything to me like I'm an idiot, and all the other typical support stuff. I love PlayStation and all, but they need better support.

Vyk
07-30-2014, 04:05 AM
Wow. Uh.. who backs your credit card? Is it a debit card? Is there a bank involved? Or just Mastercard/Visa/etc.? Talk to one of THEM instead. Mine is a Visa debit card through my bank. Visa never has to get involved however, because my bank is awesome. They prefer you to at least attempt disputes yourself, and if those fail, they will give you your money back and then take over the dispute for you. Generally I just let them know something was charged without my authorization and they just give me my stuff back and give me a new debit card. Hasn't happened in years though. But they're awesome. I think I've heard that Visa and Mastercard are actually pretty good in this regard, but I don't honestly know how good. But they have to be better than what you're dealing with regarding Sony and PSN

Masamunemaster
07-30-2014, 04:47 AM
That's the thing, it never charged my card, they used a different card with a number I have never seen.

Pete for President
07-30-2014, 12:44 PM
To copy Souls games save files you'll need PS+ to upload it to the cloud. I can understand how it prevents hacking and muling but it's ridiculous how the helpdesk can't copy those files for you when it's them who messed up their product.

I feel your pain.

Iceglow
07-31-2014, 07:31 AM
I'm not saying this is particularly the case here but let me put it to you this way. I worked as Customer Services Support for 2 years. In cases of fraudulent activity there is very little we can actually do. For example in the UK all fraud must be reported to the card issuer. It is then up to them to determine if yes, this is fraud, if they need to have a police report in to the matter, whether they will reclaim the funds on your behalf and how much of the stolen funds they will retrieve.

What that means is that as soon as you call a Customer Services Centre and say "Well I've seen these charges and they're fraudulent as I did not make them!" you're screwing yourself. Essentially the Service Agent has no other response they are allowed to give other than "I'm deeply sorry, if I can locate the source of the payments I can put a stop to further transactions taking place. However, for all reimbursement you will need to contact your bank who will have to file a chargeback through the appropriate internal channels."

I know that it is first instinct to immediately go "This is fraud, I want my money back! No, I won't go to the bank, I want it back now!" but that really will get you nowhere at all. Your first place of call should always be the Terms and Conditions, see where you stand if you don't claim them as fraud. Are the purchases non-refundable? How about a not-used clause? More often than not, whilst long and convoluted, Terms and Conditions documents will provide you a way to get your money back so long as you don't stupidly say "I was hacked! This is all fraud!" or stuff like that.

Secondly: You probably got a denial from someone in their escalations team. I've been an escalations team member it's their job to initially toe the line and say "Hmm how about no!" but you can and will prevail if you keep yourself polite and coureous. Remember, these things:

1) Sony will never notice your personal departure from purchasing their products. Don't make grand threats like "I'll take my custom elsewhere" because it'll just provide the person handling the case a giggle.
2) That being said, they will try and retain you if they can... Most Customer Service teams have it in their mandate to prevent losses through things which can be waived off.
3) It is sometimes an option of CRM systems to see the IP address used to access the service/make purchases on certain dates. As such, know yours and ask if they log this kind of information. If they do discuss the fact that the IP address of these puchases will likely be different.
4) Don't give up, even the most stubborn CSA will give in eventually for the quiet life
5) Ask for the formal complaints process, a lot of major companies will outsource Customer Services but will have an internal team which handles formal complaints, above the level of the escalations team. Just don't threaten to go to the press, social media or write to the CEO, all that shit is hot air and people won't care.
6) Remember, the people handling your complaint deal with a lot of cases each day, being rude, snarky or making it out that they're stupid or wrong is not going to help your case. You are probably 1 customer out of hundreds if not thousands in the same situation that they have dealt with.
7) With situations like yours, offer to file a crime report with the relevant authorities. Your bank or card issuers should be one of these authorities by default as if someone hacked your PSN account, they likely compromised any payment methods stored on your account. Fraudsters like to set numerous accounts up where none of the details match. This reduces chances of people passing DPA on those accounts. A sure thing to look out for on your bank statements are payments for subscription services such as netflix when you don't recall opening an account. It is common practice to set these sort of things up with a stolen card to test that the details are valid.
8) You will be able to compromise on the situation eventually, just don't agree to accepting any charges if you're 100% certain they are fraudulent, you are not liable for fraud. They will have the option to reverse e-purchases and invalidate content purchased without authorisation. Terms and Conditions are the rules of the contract but they are also more of a guideline than a fixed rule.

Masamunemaster
07-31-2014, 09:39 AM
I'll try again the next day I can, I have tried many times to be nice and get stuff settled the easy way. The only thing I'm worried about is losing stuff like dlc if I delete the other account off my system.