PDA

View Full Version : Computer help please

Pumpkin
08-01-2014, 06:07 AM
I just want to preface by saying that I'm really not a computer person so I'm sorry if I give the wrong information or come off like an idiot. I really don't mean to. Please be patient with me.

Now then, I want to play the Sims 4 when it comes out, but my desktop PC is kind of crap. Google gives it a hard time. It's pretty frustrating on its own, but we're on a budget, so I wanted to know what I would need to do to improve my computer to where it needs to be to play the game or if I might as well just buy a new computer.

I think this is the relevant information?

Thank you

Quindiana Jones
08-01-2014, 06:56 AM
Hey shion.

A really useful tool you can use in the future is CanYouRunIt? (http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri) It gives a pretty decent gauge of whether your PC will be able to handle a certain game.

Also, a bit more info would be helpful. Open the Run window (Hold the Windows key + R) and type "dxdiag". This will give you a screen with some tabs. The initial tab gand the "Display" tab would be useful.

Looking at it, a bit more RAM wouldn't hurt. Sims 4 needs a 2GB minimum, which you're just scraping. If you can, throw in an extra GB or two. Depending on what type you use, they can be reasonably cheap.

In terms of graphics, by the looks of it, even a decent onboard chipset could manage it. If you've got any kind of graphics card, I doubt you'll have any issues there.

For others, these are the minimum requirements:

OS: Windows XP (SP3), Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1), Windows 8, or Windows 8.1
Processor: 1.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 Dual-Core 4000 or equivalent (For computers using built-in graphics chipsets, the game requires 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.0 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-62 or equivalent)
Memory: At least 2 GB RAM
Hard Drive: At least 9 GB of free space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games
DVD-ROM: DVD ROM drive required for installation only
Video Card: 128 MB of Video RAM and support for Pixel Shader 3.0. Supported Video Cards: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better, ATI Radeon X1300 or better, Intel GMA X4500 or better
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible
DIRECTX: DirectX 9.0c compatible
Input: Keyboard and Mouse

Fonzie
08-01-2014, 08:47 AM
Hey shion.

A really useful tool you can use in the future is CanYouRunIt? (http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri) It gives a pretty decent gauge of whether your PC will be able to handle a certain game.

Also, a bit more info would be helpful. Open the Run window (Hold the Windows key + R) and type "dxdiag". This will give you a screen with some tabs. The initial tab gand the "Display" tab would be useful.

Looking at it, a bit more RAM wouldn't hurt. Sims 4 needs a 2GB minimum, which you're just scraping. If you can, throw in an extra GB or two. Depending on what type you use, they can be reasonably cheap.

In terms of graphics, by the looks of it, even a decent onboard chipset could manage it. If you've got any kind of graphics card, I doubt you'll have any issues there.

For others, these are the minimum requirements:

OS: Windows XP (SP3), Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1), Windows 8, or Windows 8.1
Processor: 1.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 Dual-Core 4000 or equivalent (For computers using built-in graphics chipsets, the game requires 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.0 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-62 or equivalent)
Memory: At least 2 GB RAM
Hard Drive: At least 9 GB of free space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games
DVD-ROM: DVD ROM drive required for installation only
Video Card: 128 MB of Video RAM and support for Pixel Shader 3.0. Supported Video Cards: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better, ATI Radeon X1300 or better, Intel GMA X4500 or better
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible
DIRECTX: DirectX 9.0c compatible
Input: Keyboard and Mouse

So proud of you. :)

Pumpkin
08-01-2014, 05:12 PM
This is the information can you run it gives me:

Also, didn't know what a Run window is, but I think? This is what you asked for?

Quindiana Jones
08-01-2014, 06:21 PM
Should probably have checked earlier: desktop or laptop?

If you take a peek inside, you can find out what type of RAM you have; DDR, DDR2, DDR3. Not Dance Dance Revolution, unfortunately. Find out the type, then buy some more! :D

CYRI is biased against integrated chipsets. It says you fail, but then below says that you've ticked all the boxes. Whether it'll run depends on the type of game. Some of the games I can play, my computer failed, but some that I should've been able to play didn't work. The curse of onboard. Graphics cards can get pretty cheap these days, but I'd wait for the recommended specs at least. It's often worth forking out a bit more of your budget for a better one, as this'll have far greater longevity.

For now, wait for the recommended specs to be released. After that, upgrade your RAM as much as you can. After that, buy the game and see how your graphics chipset handles. If it sucks, buy a graphics card. :D

Pumpkin
08-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Alrighty, thank you Quin!

It's a desktop

Formalhaut
08-01-2014, 06:59 PM

So I decided to run the test as well, because I love The Sims, and I might want to play it.

I only have a laptop (people say that building a desktop is quite easy and cheap, but that's assuming you have money to spend in the first place!) , so I didn't expect the test to go that well.

It actually went pretty well except for one thing. Whatever dedicated video RAM means. It's well under, apparently. What, if anything, can I do for that? I imagine not much.

EDIT: I also did the "Rank my Computer" test, and it's apparently in the 43rd percentile. Not bad for a laptop which I got for free.

Quindiana Jones
08-01-2014, 07:32 PM
Jesus, 32MB? That can't be right. Something on your laptop is chewing up the rest. The Intel 4000 is not nearly that bad. xD

The Summoner of Leviathan
08-01-2014, 07:34 PM
RAM is pretty cheap these days and check tomshardware they have a monthly GPU review based on price and ends with a ranking of AMD and NVIDIA cards. Just a tip when they release the the specs!

escobert
08-01-2014, 08:38 PM
RAM is cheap unless you're looking for older RAM then it can cost you. You'll probably want to upgrade to a video card with at least 1gb of Video memory. If a game is really CPU dependent you're probably going to run into some issues but, those tend to be online games.

Pumpkin
08-01-2014, 08:38 PM
Are video cards expensive?

escobert
08-01-2014, 09:10 PM
They can be. but, you also aren't going to be looking for a brand new top of the line fancy one. You'll be looking for a model a few years old. You will need a PCIexpress slot and the appropriate power hook ups for a GPU. Most computers should have these.
It can be a bit of a power hog so you may need to upgrade your power supply but, I always had good luck with a GTX460
http://www.ascendtech.us/nvidia-geforce-gtx460-1gb-dual-dvi-mhdmi_i_vidcarddelgr23p.aspx?agent=pricewatch
I also had good luck with a GTX260 so this may work for you and would be less of a power hog
http://www.pricewatch.com/price/video_cards/geforce_gts_250_1gb

FYI I am currently using a 4 series card (GTX480) and they are currently making 7 series cards so, the 4 series are still decent cards.

Formalhaut
08-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Jesus, 32MB? That can't be right. Something on your laptop is chewing up the rest. The Intel 4000 is not nearly that bad. xD

How do I find out what IS chewing up the rest?

Jessweeee♪
08-01-2014, 10:43 PM
You can always pirate it to test the waters then buy it if things look good c:

escobert
08-01-2014, 10:56 PM

How do I find out what IS chewing up the rest?
I guess you could run something like catzilla which will test everything out and see how it runs and suggests setting adjustments.

Formalhaut
08-02-2014, 12:00 AM

So I ran the Catzilla test and got a score of...1198. I looked at some of the other scores on the leaderboard and they were in five digit territory.

But looking at it, the only thing I'm lacking is physical memory, apparently. There's not really much worth upgrading a laptop though, is there?

escobert
08-02-2014, 05:49 PM
Yeah laptops just don't have the space and ability to really upgrade. You could find some RAM for it but something like graphics and such just aren't really able to be upgraded. RAM always helps though! But for what exactly is bogging down your onboard, I don't know :( What windows do you use? If you're using a newer one do you use all the fancy features?

EDIT Okay so yeah I learned how to look at pictures! lol

so you have windows 8, if you're using the "style" features of it that may be bogging you down a little. I don't know if it's actually called style but you know the fancy window colors and animations, that sort of stuff.

Quindiana Jones
08-02-2014, 06:01 PM
Even then, Windows always ensures that their latest product is less work to run than their previous ones, so I can't imagine the features being that heavy.

This is an enigma.

escobert
08-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Right, they aren't like Vistas and completely hog your CPU. But, They do pull a little and could help a little. I would look into getting 8GB or RAM if possible.

Mirage
08-04-2014, 06:39 PM

It's wrong, but not like you think. Intel hd graphics chips have 0 MB dedicated video memory. They use shared system memory. Also shion your computer can run it. Barely.

Quindiana Jones
08-05-2014, 11:51 AM
Ah yeah, that sounds familiar! Much obliged. :D