PDA

View Full Version : Man, I should really go shopping...

Quindiana Jones
08-01-2014, 08:26 AM
I'm eating tuna out of a can.

How often do you do your weekly shop (hur hur)? How much do you usually spend and what do you usually buy? Why don't you buy more fruit, fatty?

In China, I can buy about a fortnight of food for the equivalent of around £30. It's amazing. I pretty much always buy the same stuff, though. Yoghurt, fruit (always blueberries!), some meats, and the same old veg. Maybe I should be more adventurous?

CAST VOX
08-01-2014, 08:40 AM

How often do you do your weekly shop (hur hur)? How much do you usually spend and what do you usually buy? Why don't you buy more fruit, fatty?

In China, I can buy about a fortnight of food for the equivalent of around £30. It's amazing. I pretty much always buy the same stuff, though. Yoghurt, fruit (always blueberries!), some meats, and the same old veg. Maybe I should be more adventurous?
Try some shark fin soup, it's delicious.

Almost as delicious as the boiled cat :D

noxious.sunshine
08-01-2014, 03:24 PM
We shop once a week. If we go over budget, then I stretch it out for 2 weeks or so.

$100 is what we usually spend. And I buy mostly fresh veggies- tomatoes, tomatillos, onion, jalepeño and serrano, spinach, corn, etc
Meat, chicken thighs (cheaper than breasts and taste better too, though they have more fat), ground beef, maybe steak or a good chuck roast, occasionally something pork related. And then canned tomato products- sauce, paste, crushed, whatever. And I'll pick up some soups and snacks for the bf. He gets cranky if I don't let him have -some- junk food. lol

Shorty
08-01-2014, 05:25 PM
I shop for the week and can usually spend $30-$50 a trip, depending on what I'm in need of. Regular fixtures are avocados, tomatoes, spinach, popyseed dressing, brussels sprouts, red onions, frozen vegetables like broccoli cauliflower zucchini and summer squash, vanilla yogurt, pineapple, chicken, and salmon maybe 50% of the time.

I usually buy all the same stuff, too, but last week I was adventurous and bought grapes.

Pumpkin
08-01-2014, 05:27 PM
We eithe grocery shop once a week or once every two weeks. If we do it once a week we usually spend around $100 and twice a week we'll spend about $170

~*~Celes~*~
08-01-2014, 05:44 PM
we usually go shopping every week, but since I am on maternity leave and haven't received any pay for my time off, it's more like every other week.

We usually get fresh fruit, frozen and fresh veggies (Depends on the veggie, i like certain ones better frozen), dark red kidney beans, chicken breasts (canned and fresh), ground beef (yesterday we opted for boneless pork ribs instead, we don't eat much pork), cereal, milk, eggs, cheese, greek yogurt (so delicious and so healthy!), smartfood popcorn (the shit and not bad for you!) or some other kind of chips/crisps, tater tots or fries, chicken nuggets (mom of a toddler here lol), ice cream, tomato or bean soup for the hubby, juice or lemonade, kool-aid mix or Country Time half-and-half mix, whole wheat white bread, pasta, some kind of sauce for the pasta (pesto or alfredo usually, my husband doesn't like red pasta sauce and it gives me teh heartburnz), cottage cheese (we are a cottage cheese family, holy shit), Goldfish and graham crackers for the boy, noodle or rice packets, and occasionally muffins or something for on-the-go breakfast.

We normally spend a little over $100, i think this week it was in the neighborhood of $120. We're pretty good at making food stretch, and we buy the family packs of chicken breasts and freeze whatever we don't use so we have it later in the week.

..we eat lotsa carbs, wow :o

arenzi
08-02-2014, 02:23 AM
Usually once a week. I don't spend much, usually under $30 because I only get vegetables since I'm a vegetarian. I don't like junk food or anything so I don't get snacks either. If I need something like rice or if I feel like getting ice cream then I'll spend a little more.

Kalevala
08-02-2014, 05:13 AM
I only buy groceries if there is something in particular I feel I need to get. Because of my job and how often I work, most days I eat all my meals there free of charge. On my days off I usually just treat myself and eat out.

Shiny
08-02-2014, 08:11 AM
I don't really plan. I just kinda get whatever when I feel like cooking it.

Psychotic
08-02-2014, 09:01 AM
Me and the housemate go once a week. Usually spend £40-70 between us. It would be much less if I wasn't addicted to chocolate and steak.

Bubba
08-02-2014, 10:02 AM
I normally get my breakfast and lunch stuff at the start of the week for when I'm at work. Other than that I get as I go. At weekends MissH and myself usually just go to Tesco on the day and get whatever we feel like. Unless her Dad is cooking us something awesome like steak or barbecue :D

Formalhaut
08-02-2014, 10:14 AM
When at University I try to limit myself to £30 a week, which is usually some fruit and frozen vegetables, bread and milk, some cereal, and some meat. A staple meal was to buy three pork shoulder steaks for just £3 (and they're pretty decent quality too!) on top of some rice, drizzled with soy sauce.

I also bought some Quorn stuff, because they're actually pretty cheap compared to 'actual' meat and I taste a very nominal difference, so I buy Quorn mince instead. It's pretty tasty!

I do purchase the odd chocolate or snack item, but only if I'm going in under budget. I absolutely always purchase Squash (the liquid) though.

Pheesh
08-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Tara and I tend to shop for that night and the next day or two. Mostly because we can never decide what we want for dinner until about an hour before we eat.

fire_of_avalon
08-02-2014, 05:20 PM
Oh guys. Grocery shopping is pretty much my life. I have a process.

Grocery shopping only occurs on Sunday and it's either before 11am or after 2,pm to avoid the Sunday crowds. I make a list on Friday nights or on Saturday and I include entrees, side dishes and any desserts I plan to make. In detail.

The menu is based on the day of the week and what's happening that day. I keep my sister's kids 3,days a week while she works, so the evenings I have them I have to make simple, toddler-friendly meals that aren't too involved in preparation so the kids don't tear down the house while I'm cooking.

I try to balance red meat and white meat nights, and one night of just vegetables. We tend to end each meal with fruit.

I don't plan out breakfasts, but I do try to plan out lunches for the work week and generally fail, because I get lazy and eat out way too much.

I used to.cross reference grocery store ads, but I live too far from grocery store diversity to be financially sound to make multiple stops.

I wanted to grow my own vegetables this year to reduce costs and increase healthfulness, but time. :/

noxious.sunshine
08-02-2014, 05:34 PM
Yes. As soon as we move back to TN and buy a house, I'm having a garden. For sure.

Noire
08-02-2014, 08:55 PM
We do the weekly shop every Saturday morning, between 9am and 11am. It costs anywhere between £90 and £120 for the four of us...it depends on what is on offer, really. We buy...pretty much everything, actually. xD

For myself, because of my current health concerns, I'm trying to get items that have as many calories in them as possible...which is actually harder than it ought to be, mostly because the stuff loaded with calories is either too expensive or absolutely vile.

escobert
08-02-2014, 10:16 PM
I like to go on pay day but, my roommates are pretty lazy and I usually have to wait until they pay me their portion of the rent.

DMKA
08-03-2014, 05:05 AM
I go shopping every day on the way home because the schedules of the other four people in my house are so erratic that we never know whether we're all going to eat dinner at home or not from night to night. I typically spend around $80 for the five of us.

fire_of_avalon
08-05-2014, 04:58 PM
$80 a day?!

Quindiana Jones
07-16-2022, 01:08 AM
Groceries are fucken expensive in Canada right now. :|

Who wants to go split 100 acres with me and start a self-sustaining commune?

Christmas
07-17-2022, 11:45 AM

No spicy steamboat? Tot that is a local specialty!

Quindiana Jones
07-17-2022, 03:59 PM
I'd never heard the term "spicy steamboat", but I do love me some hot pot. :D