PDA

View Full Version : Audio Buzzing/Stuttering

Sephex
08-01-2014, 09:45 AM
Okay, so I bought a laptop on a whim a little over three years ago. It was on sale, but it was an HP. Yes. Hp sucks. I know. But all I planned on doing on it at the time was browse the internet, work on basic projects, and play games minimally on it. Yes, laptops suck for gaming. I know. I am not crazy about having everything with max settings. As long as the game doesn't look like it has one texture and runs smoothly I am fine. Basically the point of this opening paragraph is respectfully request that you don't poke fun/talk down at me for my crappy laptop choice and please try to help if you got anything. I get it.

Anyway, at time goes on I tend to game on my laptop more and more. I'd say about...six months ago, maybe even a little longer, streaming videos (YouTube, Netflix, etc.) would rarely buzz.

Say if someone says in a video, "I put the glass on the table."

Well, if this buzzing occurred in that sentence it would sound like, "I put the glass on the tAAAAAAAAAAAABle." The 'A' sounding like it was in super slow motion along with the video pausing. The buzz only lasts a half second or full second. Very rarely exceeding that short length. This happens far less in Chrome than it does Firefox.

Back in June my laptop informs me that I have a hard disk error. It won't scan it from start up, but scanning the drive through windows reveals that there is nothing wrong. The hard drive doesn't sound bad when in use, and the laptop runs fine. The only problem is that audio buzzing thingy that happens.

Well, basically, almost every game I run now has some sort of audio or visual stutter. These aren't high end games that are making my laptop work its ass off. I been testing three games while experimenting with trying to fix this problem (more on that below). They are Hotline Miami, Shovel Knight, and Rouge Legacy.

Hotline Miami's sound plays uninterrupted but the game will occasionally pause for 1 to 3 seconds. This happens specifically with any random sound effect. It doesn't happen often enough to truly bother me, but there you go.

Shovel Knight runs perfectly visually, but the audio skips like a scratched CD. Sometimes it's only here and there (thankfully my first playthrough was like that), but now it seems like there is some asshole DJ in that game making the audio skip into bad remixes.

Rouge Legacy was a test game because that's one of the games I played before that ran 100% fine before any of these audio problems occurred. The game would stutter in time when some sound effects were played, like Hotline Miami, but not nearly as bad. Most of this seemed to have been quelled by messing with the in game settings.

I also tried to mess with the capability and other options using the property tabs for Hotline Miami and Shovel Knight. No matter what I throw at this problem both of those games have the same problems listed above. I know Hotline Miami has always ran a bit funky on the PC, but there is NO WAY Shovel Knight should have skipping audio.

So to attack the audio problem this is what I have done. I am running Windows 7 64 Bit btw.

*Scanned for viruses using Malware Bytes, Spybot, and even Windows Defender. No problems detected (which I do beleive in terms of viruses, malware,etc).

*Ran disk checker. Four times.

*Defragged laptop

*Ran CCleaner

*Uninstalled and reinstalled audio drivers (laptop has ones for the laptop itself and drivers for when I connect to my TV)

*Uninstalled and reinstalled graphics drivers for good measure

*Disabled audio/graphic drivers that aren't in use.

*disabled network card/tried playing offline naturally

*Googled my problems and found numerous solutions about crap to disable and/or remove from HP. I had a good amount of it disabled/removed as it was, but even the extra stuff I disabled/removed doesn't make a dent in it.

*Went to playback options and disabled environmental sounds options.

*rolled back audio/graphic drivers

*latest or older audio/graphic drivers don't make a difference

*I have my laptop running for maximum performance. Tinkering around with ANY power setting did nothing.

*Disabling windows sounds (i.e. only makes the startup sounds and that's it)

*beating the laptop angrily with my penis

Okay, so I was just kidding with that last one. I am honestly losing my mind over this. While my laptop says it has a hard disk error when I start it, I have noticed that my problem happens to numerous laptops of ALL brands after all the threads I have read this week. Sometimes weird audio problems like mine or similar to mine happen to laptops that are brand new.

I have never put my laptop under stressful conditions. Never was an idiot who tried to run Cyrsis on it or something. Most of the games I play on there are simple games that laptops older than mine can easily run without breaking a sweat.

There are no other problems with the laptop. Speedwise, it runs like the day I got it. The only thing is that some games stutter which I am convinced is audio related. Like, I understand that a hard disk error is a VERY bad thing, but if my HDD was failing, you would think that it would run loud and I would have far more problems. My laptop hasn't BSODed or anything. It boots up fast. I have no clue what it going on.

Spuuky
08-02-2014, 12:39 AM
Do any of the games with visual pause/stutter do it when the sound device is disabled entirely in device manager?

Sephex
08-02-2014, 12:52 AM
I am surprised I didn't think to test it that way. Anyway, I just disabled all sound and played Hotline Miami, since that is the game that runs without uninterrupted audio that seems to stutter visually because of the audio.

The game still stutters as if I had the sound on, unfortunately.

Spuuky
08-02-2014, 01:31 AM
Well, if it was a memory problem, you'd get blue-screens. Maybe the Hotline Miami thing is completely independent of your audio problem.

Honestly, these are the most frustrating problems to track down. If you did get a real blue screen, we could look at the diagnostics. Can you go to the Sound section in the Control panel, and find your playback device, and tell me what it is configured for? Probably stereo?

There are a lot of other things that could contribute. You could be drawing too much power (try a different outlet, if it was a desktop I'd suggest a different power supply). It could be the specific playback device (try different speakers). The Chrome/Firefox Youtube stuff could be a corrupt/old/anything Flash installation, Flash is awful (uninstall flash, run cclean again, then reinstall flash). Who knows, man. What disk checker did you use? chkdsk?

Do you get input lag (like mouse/keyboard delay) for the moments when it happens?

Did you try beating the laptop angrily with your penis?

Sephex
08-02-2014, 03:37 AM
The penis technique didn't work. HP even recommended it.

Anyway, I will try to uninstall/run cclean again when I have the chance (not on my laptop at the moment).

The laptop acts the same way no matter where I have it plugged in (I have it tried at home, parent's house, and work).

Thanks for looking into this by the way. I have a feeling I am boned, but it is nice to get an outside opinion and try solutions that I didn't think of/Google doesn't yield. I'll post again after I tried the uninstall flash/ccleaner thing. Though I am at work now, I'll be able to test it during breaks, most likely.

EDIT: Did the flash uninstall and ran ccleaner again. I'll report if streaming videos stutter, but it hasn't been doing that lately. Audio in shovel night still stuttering.

As for your other inquires...

My speakers are configured to stereo. Besides the option to switch to TV for audio/video stuff, there is nothing I can select except for headphones. Those enable automatically when I plug them in.

Also, I have not noticed any input lag, but then again, I am watching stuff on YouTube, so my mouse is not in my hand. I have a feeling that during the buzzing it wouldn't respond though. When Hotline Miami freezes for a bit, the music keeps playing, but everything else comes to a standstill for a quick moment. On the slip side, Shovel Knight runs no matter what, but the music skips like crazy, as mentioned earlier.

Yeah, this issue is very hard to narrow down. I might play around with some other stuff when I can later.

Spuuky
08-02-2014, 03:41 AM
On that screen where it is set to stereo, use the 'test' feature and see if you get any issues there. You could actually try changing to quadrophonic and disabling the two back speakers in the test configuration, also (basically, just by leaving the other two as full range speakers and unchecking the box for the back two).

I recommend using this song to test your sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnvsiNPozDA

Just out of curiosity, does Shovel Knight have a windowed mode?

Sephex
08-02-2014, 03:58 AM
No issues during test. I don't appear to have an any option other than stereo.

I also tried to run Shovel Knight in windowed mode, and the music still skips. Dang it.

Spuuky
08-02-2014, 04:11 AM
No issues during test. I don't appear to have an any option other than stereo.

I also tried to run Shovel Knight in windowed mode, and the music still skips. Dang it.If it is in windowed mode, you can run it side-by-side with something like Process Explorer to see if there is some kind of resource spike or something in particular being read at that time that causes it.

Really, stereo only? Laptops are stupid, I hate them. Did you look at HP's website to see if there's some kind of audio deck application that is supposed to run with them? What model is it?

EDIT: Also try to run "sfc /scannow" from an elevated command prompt and see if it finds any errors.

Sephex
08-02-2014, 05:11 AM
I ran the scannow from the elevated command prompt. It claimed to have found and fixed errors.

I didn't find any audio deck application or anything.

When I looked at the resource monitor I didn't see anything out of the ordinary [System/svchost.exe(s)]. This was no matter if I ran Shovel Knight or not.

I think Laptops are just stupid too. Grr.

Spuuky
08-02-2014, 06:46 AM
What model is it?

Sephex
08-02-2014, 08:03 AM
HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC.

Spuuky
08-02-2014, 06:07 PM
OK. Well, apparently a lot of people do have confusing audio issues with that series in particular. Have you tried these things (you probably have tried some)?

1. Run with no battery in it (just on AC)
2. Run with no AC (just on battery)
3. Updated the BIOS and/or played with device settings at the BIOS level
4. Make sure "Drive Guard" or whatever HP calls it is uninstalled
5. Creating a new user account on the laptop, and seeing if it has the same issues (this test in particular can point at very specific things, although this particular problem seems unlikely to be one of them)

Can you be more specific about the model? I wanted to look at what drivers exactly they recommend, but there are multiple dv7 models. dv7-1245dx, dv7-1000, etc.

Sephex
08-03-2014, 07:54 AM
Been busy, so I will have to test that stuff on Monday. I did try to disable the drive guard beforehand and it didn't make a difference. Also, I did update my BIOS not long after I first saw the hard Disk Error message, so I know that is up to date.

As for the model number, no matter how I try to look it up online or in my system, it doesn't give me anything past HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC.

Spuuky
08-03-2014, 08:49 AM
OK. I would completely uninstall that Drive Guard.

Sephex
08-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Sadly, it seems not to have made any difference. I still haven't tried the other ideas...yet. I am going to be constantly surrounded by company from about 15 minutes from now till sometime tomorrow, so I will try the other ideas you listed earlier and report back to this thread when that time comes (when I am alone). Again, I appreciate all the input and suggestions, even if it ends up being a lost cause.

I will say that ever since I started to tinker with things, I haven't seen the audio buzzing occur on any streaming videos I have watched, but the music skipping and whatnot still happens when I play Shovel Knight. Regardless, maybe something helped my laptop a bit? Hmmm...

Spuuky
08-12-2014, 01:59 AM
UPDATE PLEASE

I'm so tired of working on large-scale network outages. I need something small and irrelevant to work on again.

o_O
08-12-2014, 08:29 AM
Are any of these issues occurring specifically with the AC unplugged?

I've had a dv6 and a dv7 (seriously, wtf is wrong with your engineers, HP?), and on both of them it was completely impossible to use it on battery power because the useless HP power management applet fought the windows power manager to the death. In manifested in the form of everything slowing to an absolute crawl, though not quite to the same extent as yours. The only way I was able to get around it was to disable power management completely and just have both applets set to maximum never-switch-off earth-destroying mode.

Mirage
08-12-2014, 11:56 AM
Are you sure it is completely safe to rule out memory issues? I mean sure, bsods would be likely to happen with that, but maybe it is possible that the memory problem is slight enough for the os to not explode.

One thing you could try but that is kind of annoying to do if you don't just happen to have the right device, is to test the audio with an usb sound card and see if that makes any difference. I don't expect you to have one of those, though.

Sephex
08-14-2014, 11:18 PM
UPDATE PLEASE

I'm so tired of working on large-scale network outages. I need something small and irrelevant to work on again.

My bad, I was busy last week with lots of over time (notice I been posting on the forum sparsely, also only at work) and I didn't have a chance to tinker with it. I finally did everything you said. Getting rid of the drive guard seems to have helped. I haven't encountered and streaming video buzzing, but most steam games that should run flawlessly still have audio skipping here and there.

So long story short, all this tinkering seems to have helped get my computer to run smoother, but it hasn't completely elimated the problem.

Spuuky
08-15-2014, 05:10 AM
So the same thing happens under multiple user accounts? That rules a lot out, really (unfortunately, a lot of the easiest stuff to fix).

Probably you'd just have to reformat with a clean Windows install (without any HP stuff except actual drivers) to really fix it.

Sephex
08-15-2014, 09:31 AM
So the same thing happens under multiple user accounts? That rules a lot out, really (unfortunately, a lot of the easiest stuff to fix).

Probably you'd just have to reformat with a clean Windows install (without any HP stuff except actual drivers) to really fix it.

I'm thinking the same thing. Thanks for the tips regardless, they did help as I said earlier.

edczxcvbnm
08-20-2014, 07:21 AM
Next time I am over I will have to hi jack your laptop and do what I do. This time I will uninstall, delete and clean up the registry from any HP crap that might be going on. I could even do it while RMing this weekend at SEEEEAAAAAAAAN!'s place.

I think the thing that makes this occur is that processor kicking it up a gear with the fan and because of this shift, some software interfering with it. Instead of just a 1 second frame skip or something in a video or whatever, it does this weird buzzing thing that has become hilarious.

Sephex
08-20-2014, 08:18 AM
Cool. Thanks for offering to help. However, and I don't know why, but I haven't experienced any buzzing in quite some time. Though the music skipping in low end games are still there. I don't know! ARHJDSGHJKGHJSKLDGHJLKSDLSDHJKSDHGJKh

CimminyCricket
08-20-2014, 05:37 PM
TLDR;

Have you tried running the onboard HP diagnostics? If you haven't, give it a try and they might turn something up.

Old Manus
08-21-2014, 12:42 PM
This sort of thing happened with me once on an old laptop of mine a few years ago. It turned out that the thermal compound on my heatsinks was shot and it was running at a high temperature, which led to things getting temporarily undervolted for a few seconds every few minutes.