PDA

View Full Version : Chicken burger or sandwich??

Pumpkin
08-01-2014, 06:20 PM
So I've always known chicken on burger buns to be called Chicken Burgers, but sharky calls them Chicken Sandwiches. To me, if it isn't on sandwich bread, it isn't a chicken sandwich, and a chicken sandwich is not the same as a chicken burger. The burger being on the buns. But he calls them both chicken sandwiches. Also, chicken burgers are usually the battered chicken like so:

So do you consider that a chicken sandwich or a chicken burger? Or both?

Formalhaut
08-01-2014, 06:35 PM
I have to agree with you shion, I would call that a chicken burger, for the same reasons you gave.

Shorty
08-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Chicken sandwich. Or sangwich.

StarCross1988
08-01-2014, 08:44 PM
I've never heard of anybody calling it a chicken burger, unless it was like ground chicken made into a burger. That would be appropriate I guess. Chicken burger just sounds too weird to me o.O

Agent Proto
08-01-2014, 08:56 PM
I've always called them chicken sandwiches, despite being made with buns.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-01-2014, 08:58 PM
I think we will find out this is an American thing.

Maybe the UK, Aus, and Canada call 'em burgers.

metagloria
08-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Burger implies ground meat. What you have posted is a sandwich.

Formalhaut
08-01-2014, 09:48 PM
Burger implies ground meat. What you have posted is a sandwich.

But then they're in 'burger' buns.

It's all semantics, really, though. Chicken Sandgers are very tasty.

noxious.sunshine
08-01-2014, 11:54 PM
Yep. That is a chicken sandwich.

Chicken burgers are made with ground chicken and formed into a burger-shaped patty.

I mean, you wouldn't call a tuna sandwich mix on a bun like that a "Tuna Burger" would you?

ALso, pulled pork bbq sandwiches are served on hamburger buns! Yet, they're sandwiches too!

I need bbq in my life now. *Drool*

Araciel
08-02-2014, 12:02 AM
#6 with no tomato. Large fries and a coke. two junior bacon cheeseburgers.

Colonel Angus
08-02-2014, 01:02 AM
That is a sandwich. The type of bread doesn't determine whether or not it's a sandwich. A burger, by definition, has to be ground meat made into a patty. Soy is an exception, even though I find soy burgers more of an abomination.

Kalevala
08-02-2014, 05:18 AM
I think we will find out this is an American thing.

Maybe the UK, Aus, and Canada call 'em burgers.

This must be the case. I have never heard anyone call this a chicken sandwich.

Agent Proto
08-02-2014, 06:01 AM
Yep. That is a chicken sandwich.

Chicken burgers are made with ground chicken and formed into a burger-shaped patty.

I mean, you wouldn't call a tuna sandwich mix on a bun like that a "Tuna Burger" would you?

ALso, pulled pork bbq sandwiches are served on hamburger buns! Yet, they're sandwiches too!

I need bbq in my life now. *Drool*

Let's not forget these delicacies!
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/sloppy-joe.jpg
They're called "Sloppy Joes", not "Chili Burgers".

Shorty
08-02-2014, 06:03 AM
A chili burger is a real thing, though. And it is so fucking good. God bless Wienerschnitzel.

Quindiana Jones
08-02-2014, 06:19 AM
If that meat was between two pieces of bread, it would still be a chicken burger.

Pumpkin
08-02-2014, 06:20 AM
Americans have to do everything differently :colbert:

Kalevala
08-02-2014, 06:30 AM
Is a chili burger a separate thing? Or is it just a Sloppy Joe? So many questions!

Shorty
08-02-2014, 06:37 AM
It's a separate thing! It's an actual burger with chili on it. Sloppy joes are more BBQ-oriented (and if they are not, they are wrong).

Colonel Angus
08-02-2014, 07:16 AM
Yeah, sloppy joes are loose ground beef cooked in BBQ sauce. Manwich is an abomination that hillbillies use to make sloppy joes, so if you have any class you will eschew these monstrosities.

Kalevala
08-02-2014, 07:16 AM
The Sloppy Joes served to us in school were just ground beef and sauce between patties. I take it that... isn't the norm.

Colonel Angus
08-02-2014, 07:18 AM
It's the same thing.

Kalevala
08-02-2014, 07:32 AM
Didn't see your description because simultaneous posts. I can proudly say I have not had one of these in over a decade.

Quindiana Jones
08-02-2014, 07:39 AM
Sloppy is a word that should never be used to describe food.

Colonel Angus
08-02-2014, 07:45 AM
My mom makes fantastic sloppy joes. I had them not too long ago.

Ergroilnin
08-02-2014, 07:49 AM
Obviously burger. D'oh.

Bubba
08-02-2014, 01:05 PM
Shion, what have you done?

Here in the UK they are general referred to as chicken burgers because they are in a burger bun. I've seen them advertised as sandwiches though. Either description is fine with me though as I pretty much know what to expect.

I'm sure that calling them burgers though is definitely not correct and anyone who does will burn in Hell. If there even is a Hell. What if there isn't? Maybe I will go my whole life referring to chicken sandwiches by the wrong name and go completely unpunished.

fire_of_avalon
08-03-2014, 03:54 AM
Yeah, sloppy joes are loose ground beef cooked in BBQ sauce. Manwich is an abomination that hillbillies use to make sloppy joes, so if you have any class you will eschew these monstrosities.
As a classless hillbilly who loves to mix manwich up with macaroni and cheese, how dar u. Gonna grind you up for manwich meat.

Chicken sandwich. Burgers are a type of sandwich made with ground up beef. I have had this argument with o_O before and EuroOceanians are still wrong despitey attempts to educate.

noxious.sunshine
08-03-2014, 05:58 AM
But Sloppy Joes aren't always necessarily cooked in BBQ ... I seent Michael Symon make them like this: http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/sloppy-mike-symon

I also have not had a sloppy joe period in like 15 years at least. Probably more than that.

Jess
08-03-2014, 03:20 PM
If it's in a burger bun, it's a burger. If it's in two slices of bread, it's a sandwich. :jess:

Ayen
08-03-2014, 06:13 PM
I don't care what it's called. Give me one.

Quindiana Jones
08-04-2014, 03:05 PM
If it's in a burger bun, it's a burger. If it's in two slices of bread, it's a sandwich. :jess:

If you put sliced ham in a burger bun, it is not a ham burger. :colbert:

It all depends on the style of the innard. Technically ground, really though, anything that looks burgery counts as a burger. :D But peanut butter and jam in a burger bun is still a peanut butter and jam sandwich.

metagloria
08-04-2014, 03:17 PM
loves to mix manwich up with macaroni and cheese

:erm:

:barf:

Shauna
08-04-2014, 03:52 PM
Shion, what have you done?

Here in the UK they are general referred to as chicken burgers because they are in a burger bun. I've seen them advertised as sandwiches though. Either description is fine with me though as I pretty much know what to expect.

I'm sure that calling them burgers though is definitely not correct and anyone who does will burn in Hell.

Yeah pretty much this. I am sure this happens because of laziness on restaurants' parts - it's easier to lump all this similar stuff together under "BURGERS" than have a seperate section which doesn't quite fit anything.

If I do have a chicken breast burger though, I am 100% aware that it is chicken breast (maybe) and not a burger and would not refer to it as such outwith the burger buns, while I can have a beef burger without the bun and still call it a burger.

Aulayna
08-04-2014, 04:20 PM
It's a Chicken Burger. Or more accurately, a Chicken Fillet Burger.

This is a Chicken Sandwich:

http://img4-2.myrecipes.timeinc.net/i/recipes/ck/05/04/chicken-salad-ck-1041889-l.jpg

Loony BoB
08-04-2014, 04:40 PM
What Aulayna said. I mean, if the item in Aulayna's picture and the item in shion's picture were both on a menu, how would Americans differentiate them? Would you like a Chicken Sandwich That Makes Use Of Sliced Bread or a Chicken Sandwich That Makes Use Of Burger Buns Despite The Chicken Technically Not Being A Burger According To American Semantics?

EDIT: Also I think people here are confusing 'burger' with 'patty'. You put a burger patty inside a burger. Outside of the burger, the burger patty is merely a burger patty, not a burger.

EDITRA: Do you guys also call Veggie Burgers "Veggie Sandwiches" given they do not have any ground meat?

Agent Proto
08-04-2014, 05:09 PM
http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/300x300/exps9170_QC10004C29A.jpg

metagloria
08-04-2014, 05:12 PM
It's a Chicken Burger. Or more accurately, a Chicken Fillet Burger.

This is a Chicken Sandwich:

http://img4-2.myrecipes.timeinc.net/i/recipes/ck/05/04/chicken-salad-ck-1041889-l.jpg

That looks like a Chicken Salad Sandwich to me.

noxious.sunshine
08-04-2014, 05:21 PM
yep. It's a chicken salad sandwich.

Usually a restaurant does this thing where they describe the item on the menu right underneath its name. :D

Aulayna
08-04-2014, 05:40 PM
http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/300x300/exps9170_QC10004C29A.jpg

That's a Tuna Roll.

Loony BoB
08-04-2014, 05:52 PM
Nope, a hamburger is still a hamburger even without a bun. It's still a hamburger in two slices of normal bread too!

A burger is defined by what's on the inside, not on what bread it uses.
You're referring to a 'patty'. Do an image search for 'hamburger' then do an image search for 'patty'. You may have to filter through various pictures of people named Patty (alternatively, to save time, search for 'burger patty'), but you'll get the idea. Hamburger = The complete burger. Patty = Just the meat.

And anyone arguing that "it's what inside that counts" needs to consider what a veggie burger is and what a chicken burger is. However, I will concede that a hamburger must be made with red meat. But let's not confuse the word 'burger' with 'hamburger' as they are as different as 'residence' and 'flat'. All flats are residences, just as all hamburgers are burgers. But all residences are not flats, just as all burgers are not hamburgers.

Shorty
08-04-2014, 05:58 PM
Jinx is correct, and so is Quin. A veggie burger is the same thing as a burger. As is a lamb burger. As is a turkey burger. It's ground meat (or edible substance, in the case of a veggie burger) formed into a patty. A fillet of meat, such as a piece of chicken or fish, is not a burger, it is a sandwich. The end.

Pumpkin
08-04-2014, 06:00 PM
Hahaha, I like how words change like that based on region. I've found quite a few things like that since moving. It can make me sad sometimes because I get homesick, but mostly I think its interesting to see different words used to mean the same thing, even within the same language. Like sometimes here, people call license plates "tags". I had never heard that one.

Anyways, I don't think it matters too much. It tastes the same no matter what you call it :D I don't think there's a right or a wrong way to say it. I was mostly just curious to see if it was just my little area that called them chicken burgers or maybe sharkys little area that called them chicken sandwiches. Seems like its mostly an American thing to call them sandwiches. So now I know!

sharkythesharkdogg
08-04-2014, 06:01 PM
What Aulayna said. I mean, if the item in Aulayna's picture and the item in shion's picture were both on a menu, how would Americans differentiate them? Would you like a Chicken Sandwich That Makes Use Of Sliced Bread or a Chicken Sandwich That Makes Use Of Burger Buns Despite The Chicken Technically Not Being A Burger According To American Semantics?

EDIT: Also I think people here are confusing 'burger' with 'patty'. You put a burger patty inside a burger. Outside of the burger, the burger patty is merely a burger patty, not a burger.

EDITRA: Do you guys also call Veggie Burgers "Veggie Sandwiches" given they do not have any ground meat?

It's called a Veggie burger because it is typically a patty made of ground soy and other vegetable matter. xD

As for the chicken question, we read the menu to see the description of the sandwich. From there we're informed what type of chicken, bread, and toppings it has.

As far as what a burger is called whether it's inside or outside of the bun, I think it's time you met the hamburger steak. (http://www.southernplate.com/2011/05/hamburger-steaks-oh-yum.html)

Welcome to cultural differences 101.

Loony BoB
08-04-2014, 06:05 PM
Fun fact: A lot of chicken burgers have ground chicken patties (generally battered), to be fair. It depends on how much money you're willing to spend and where you're spending your cash.

What do you guys call something that has both a beef patty and a battered fillet of chicken in it?

Shauna
08-04-2014, 06:06 PM
What do you guys call something that has both a beef patty and a battered fillet of chicken in it?

A heart attack waiting to happen.

Loony BoB
08-04-2014, 06:06 PM
Which by definition generally means 'yum' :D

Shorty
08-04-2014, 06:10 PM

That isn't a thing. Or if it is, it would be a "chicken sandwich hamburger." And I would call it that out of both a) indignance and b) accuracy.

Aulayna
08-04-2014, 06:13 PM
Jinx is correct, and so is Quin. A veggie burger is the same thing as a burger. As is a lamb burger. As is a turkey burger. It's ground meat (or edible substance, in the case of a veggie burger) formed into a patty. A fillet of meat, such as a piece of chicken or fish, is not a burger, it is a sandwich. The end.

http://www.kfc.co.uk/our-food/meals/fillet-burger-meal

Agent Proto
08-04-2014, 06:35 PM

http://www.kfc.co.uk/our-food/meals/fillet-burger-meal

Nice linking to KFC from your country.

http://www.kfc.com/food/sandwiches/

Aulayna
08-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Since when is the Republic of Ireland part of the UK?

noxious.sunshine
08-04-2014, 07:12 PM
IDK. A chicken filet with a burger patty exists somewhere. I guarantee it.

After all, KFC has thE monstrosity that is that Double Down Chicken Sandwich thing in which 2 fried chicken filets are the "buns" & there's bacon and shit in the middle. I bet Bob eats them . Have you, Bob?

Quindiana Jones
08-05-2014, 11:13 AM
For the record, the original photo is still a chicken burger because it looks like a burger.

And it is also a drink.

Ergroilnin
08-05-2014, 11:44 AM
After all, KFC has thE monstrosity that is that Double Down Chicken Sandwich thing in which 2 fried chicken filets are the "buns" & there's bacon and trout in the middle. I bet Bob eats them . Have you, Bob?

Oh man I always wanted to try this heart attack in an instant but they do not sell them in my country :(

Bubba
08-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Internet says this.

A chicken sandwich is typically a boneless, skinless, breast of chicken (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_(food)) on bread. The chicken burger or chicken on a bun is a variant served on a hamburger bun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger_bun).

Loony BoB
08-05-2014, 02:50 PM
IDK. A chicken filet with a burger patty exists somewhere. I guarantee it.

After all, KFC has thE monstrosity that is that Double Down Chicken Sandwich thing in which 2 fried chicken filets are the "buns" & there's bacon and trout in the middle. I bet Bob eats them . Have you, Bob?
BoB* ;)

But yeah, I can't say I've tried that, but I can say that I love KFC's Chicken Tower Burger (http://www.kfc.co.uk/our-food/burgers-and-wraps/fillet-tower-burger) which has a hash brown (fried ground potato) inside, so I can only assume some people here would call it a "Veggie Burger (with Chicken) Sandwich". :D But oh man it is so good.

Quindiana Jones
08-05-2014, 04:10 PM
Oh man, the chicken zinger tower wonder moutain burger (or whatever). That shit was amazing.

noxious.sunshine
08-05-2014, 04:44 PM
Oh man. You people are gross.

You can't possibly tell me that looks appetizing. Not even a little bit.

BoB.. Is this you IRL?

Quindiana Jones
08-05-2014, 04:47 PM
What.

The fuck.

Is that.

:|

Bubba
08-05-2014, 04:49 PM
Someone needs to tell KFC that they are falsely advertising this as a burger when it is clearly a sandwich... according to most people here.

noxious.sunshine
08-05-2014, 04:50 PM
rofl

It's this IRL:

Ah the wonders of food styling & photography. And possibly Photoshop. :D

Quindiana Jones
08-05-2014, 04:51 PM
That's the ugliest vagina I've ever seen.

metagloria
08-05-2014, 04:59 PM
would.

Aulayna
08-05-2014, 05:22 PM
My mouth just got seriously moist.

Loony BoB
08-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Oh man, the chicken zinger tower wonder moutain burger (or whatever). That trout was amazing.
It was always a mouthful to say when ordering your food. "I'll have a Wicked Zinger Burger Tower Box, thanks." ALL THAT ER. But yes it is the hidden jewel of mainstream fast food chain burgers. I once got one served vaguely cold and you know what? It still tasted fucking good (but yes I requested it be properly heated I'm not an idiot - and it means I get more burger).

Aulayna
08-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Think I'll have KFC for lunch tomorrow...

Loony BoB
08-05-2014, 05:26 PM
Yeah, this thread is making me insanely hungry. And I actually had a burger for lunch, too. But... not a Zinger Tower. :(

metagloria
08-05-2014, 05:37 PM
I had a hamburger patty and cheese wrapped up in a tortilla. WHAT DO YOU CALL THAT, HUH?!

Loony BoB
08-05-2014, 05:55 PM
I call that making do with what you can find around the kitchen.

Time to go shopping. ;)

noxious.sunshine
08-05-2014, 07:20 PM
I had a hamburger patty and cheese wrapped up in a tortilla. WHAT DO YOU CALL THAT, HUH?!

It's a snack wrap. McDonald's has them.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-06-2014, 05:27 PM

Applebee's calls it the quesadilla burger.

http://www.carside.net/QuesadillaBurger_det.jpg

Chili's has one too. I was not too impressed.

noxious.sunshine
08-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Ground beef tacos on soft shell corn tortilla I can dig- with tomatoes and jalepenos and maybe finely diced potatoes and garlic and stuff.

But a burger patty in a flour tortilla/quesadilla just.. seems so wrong.

Kalevala
08-08-2014, 09:16 AM
I once got into a pretty serious argument with an ex because she wanted me to get a Double Down and I refused.

But to make things even more confusing, my parents used to cook ground beef and put it in between two slices of bread with ketchup, onions, mustard, etc. They called them "hamburger sandwiches." WHAT NOW?!