PDA

View Full Version : Bravely Second gets New Writers

Freya
08-01-2014, 06:38 PM
Bravely Default took everyone by surprise. The impressive combat and gameplay was fun and unique to the 3DS. The writing? It was okay. That will change for Bravely Second! Square Enix announced that they will be using different writers for the sequel.

Previously the writer Naotaka Hayashi, who is also known for writing 5pb’s Steins;Gate, will no longer be the writer for the entries. Instead producer Tomoya Asano and assistant producer Shinji Takahashi will work on the first Scenario. Director Kensuke Nakahara and Bravely Default lead scenario planner Keiichi Ajiro, and Souki Tsukishima, the author of the light novel for the series, will all be working on scenarios, according to Famitsu (http://www.famitsu.com/news/201407/31058155.html).

Not only that but the soundtrack will be changing as well. Revo, the first game’s composer, will not be returning. Instead, Ryo (of the band Supercell (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOFZKwv_LfA)) will be taking over the games soundtrack. The new musical direction will almost entirely be composed Ryo.

Are you excited about these changes? Did you enjoy the previous storyline? Did you dislike it? Yay, new music? Discuss below.

Skyblade
08-01-2014, 07:25 PM
I am incredibly worried, because they are changing things up on what is easily their best project of the past fifteen years.

It's probably going to be just as good, but I can't help worrying that the new teammates won't understand what made the first one work so well, or will make some stupid, horrible mistake that ruins everything.

I need more info.

Freya
08-01-2014, 07:54 PM
You didn't think the story was meh? A lot of people I have talked to have said that.

But, two of them are the producer and assistant producer already. The director is working on it, the Bravely Default scenario lead as well, and the author of the light novel. So it seems like the team is at least familiar with the game, it's lore, and where it's direction should go. That shouldn't be so bad right?

Vermachtnis
08-01-2014, 08:16 PM
I loved the music for Bravely Default. There was not a single bad track IMO. So I'm a little worried about that. And yeah, the plot was a little eh. But the game play was great. I'm a sucker for Job Meshing, so I hope they don't mess with that too much.

Skyblade
08-01-2014, 08:37 PM
You didn't think the story was meh? A lot of people I have talked to have said that.

I thought the story was overall fantastic.

There was an incredibly slow part (Chapter 6). But, given the way those chapters were designed and released (as completely identical DLC chapters in Japan), I can definitely overlook that and be thankful for the tweaks they made when they pulled them together in the For the Sequel remake, which is what we got.

But, two of them are the producer and assistant producer already. The director is working on it, the Bravely Default scenario lead as well, and the author of the light novel. So it seems like the team is at least familiar with the game, it's lore, and where it's direction should go. That shouldn't be so bad right?

Oh, agreed, and it will probably be fine. But I've been burned badly by Square changing things before. I'm still a little nervous.

Plus, Revo made some awesome music. I don't know this new guy.

Del Murder
08-02-2014, 01:27 AM
This should be good. BD's story was pretty bland, though the world building and dialogue were awesome at times.

Vyk
08-02-2014, 03:57 AM
I was thinking they had gotten a sequel the same time we got the first one. But I guess that was a misnomer on the naming of the game. I dunno why they'd want to make so many changes, but we'll see

NeoCracker
08-05-2014, 10:47 PM
The story had some great moments, but over all it was average, though it possibly the largest cluster fuck of an ending I've ever scene. I mean dear god did that ending pile on the stupid.

Fynn
08-08-2014, 11:33 AM
I'm with Skyblade on this one. This news is deeply troubling for me.

Vyk
08-08-2014, 03:32 PM
I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt now that Square knows that older formulas can still work they can go back and rely on traditions that they mastered decades ago and hopefully that stuff will float to the top

But I definitely will not be holding my breath. It really wouldn't surprise me if they had some bogus idea to bring Bravely Default to a "wider audience". Something publishers always use as an excuse to muck up fantastic franchises. Square's hands aren't clean yet. Not from just one fantastic game which was just as easily a fluke, rather than by design. So we'll see