PDA

View Full Version : Movie/TV joke's and references that you misinterpreted to mean something else.

MJN SEIFER
08-03-2014, 12:48 AM
Basically as the title says, were there any jokes or references to things that you saw in movies or TV shows that you were so sure (or even hoped) meant one thing, and you later checked them out, and they meant something else? Feel free to say if you prefer your "version" as well.

One example of mine is a moment in the movie Superbad (which I haven't actually watched yet, I just caught this moment on TV). One of the characters quotes Yoda to another character (who I think is quite young), and then says something like; "That was Yoda. You familiar with Yoda? From, uh... Attack of The Clones?" and then (if I remember correctly) the second character gives off a kind of "Is he serious?" look.

Now, I thought (and hoped) that this was a mockery of how most adults seem to think that kids are incapable of being aware of things that were "before their time" (which annoys me, because it's not true) so in the movie, the older character tries to "get down with the kids" by only talking about more modern movies, assuming that because the kid (if it was a kid - it was in a dark car, I think) is young he won't have heard of Star Wars, or wouldn't have bothered to watch them, so he assumed that if he had heard of Yoda he would know him as "Yoda from Attack of The Clones", but the kid had watched the other movies, and was giving off that "is he serious?" look because of that.

However, I checked it out, and it turns out that the joke was that the guy who quoted Yoda had no idea that Attack of The Clones was part of an entire series. The writers of the movie basically thought it would be funny if one of their characters had only heard of/seen one Star Wars movie.