PDA

View Full Version : The Barbecue Thread

noxious.sunshine
08-03-2014, 06:13 AM
We're in our last leg of Summer.. Sigh.

Even though it's been 11 years since I've been in high school, I still feel that sense of "It's all coming to an end! OMG!" .. lol

Anyway. There's one last major BBQ holiday coming up- Labor Day Weekend.

Do you BBQ? Are you one of those pros that has a smoker and you smoke your meat and make -awesome- homemade bbq sauce?

You're probably not.

But what's your fav types of barbecue? Brisket/Burnt Ends? Pulled Pork? Ribs? Chicken?

And how do you eat it? On a bun with coleslaw and bbq sauce on top?

I love love love Memphis Dry Rub ribs with a side of bbq sauce to dip them in.

Burnt ends at this place near my dad's in Texas are the business. And they have a deal with like Sun Beam Bread Co that they get the first deliveries of fresh bread (and they order as often as every 2 days or so) so that they're sandwich bread stays top notch fresh.

And pulled pork. oh my god. Pulled pork sandwich piled with spicy bbq and pickles and cole slaw on a hamburger bun with baked beans on the side. Duuuude.

I made my own BBQ sauce over Memorial Day Weekened while making baked ribs in the oven.. And it's basically just Ketchup, mustard, uh. I think molasses, brown sugar, worcestershire and I added beer and whiskey to the mix and some cayenne, garlic, and onion powder.

I also made semi-homemade baked beans. And the recipe I used called for alot of the same ingredients in the bbq sauce. Was from a different source, too.

Anywho. Talk about barbecuing!

(I really want a Big Green Egg grill and if any of y'all are grilling enthusiasts, look it up.)

Ayen
08-03-2014, 08:10 AM
My dad used to barbecue on occasion. I honestly can't remember the last time he got out the grill. I think the most I ever had were burgers and hotdogs.

noxious.sunshine
08-03-2014, 03:44 PM
I made "oven smoked" pulled pork one day last year. lol .. Turned out pretty primo! Took out one of the oven racks, stuck a short but wide pot in there filled with water and put our grill rack over it.. then put the seasoned marinated pork on top of that with a foil pack of soaked misquote chips on the side (or maybe I put them -in- the water.. I can't remember), set the oven pretty low- like 150 or 175, and let it go ! It takes a really long time to do.. Like you have to leave your oven on all night.

But it turned out really good.

Ayen
08-03-2014, 04:21 PM
What ToriJ has described is grilling: hamburgers and hotdogs aren't BBQ!

Ah.
*leaves*

noxious.sunshine
08-03-2014, 06:44 PM
I should've titled this "Barbecue & Grilling Thread" lol

Shiny
08-04-2014, 11:34 PM
You haven't lived until you've tried brisket with Louisiana style barbecue sauce.

Bubba
08-05-2014, 12:29 AM
So what happens if you put some barbecued chicken in a burger bun?

WHAT THEN?

metagloria
08-05-2014, 02:58 AM
Barbecue FOREVER.

Good pulled pork is my personal vice, though I can be tantalized by a tasty hunk of brisket...

My family roots are in western North Carolina, so that's more or less where my taste in sauce comes from. I like it sweet and tangy, but thicker and less vinegary than the traditional (eastern) NC famous flavor. Give me a BBQ sauce with stuff like orange juice, ketchup, molasses, and/or brown sugar in it.

I will leave you with a personal recipe of mine: a belgian waffle topped with pulled pork BBQ, cheddar cheese, pecans, and maple syrup. "Surely you must be joking?!"

You're welcome.

noxious.sunshine
08-05-2014, 04:48 PM
I always get KC and NC bbq mixed up. NC BBQ sauce is the thinner more vinegary type and KC is thicker/ that's p much the kind stores sell.. Right?

I like Memphis style dry rub ribs with a side of good bbq sauce.

...That... Actually looks really yummy.