PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon: omega ruby, alpha sapphire

~*~Celes~*~
08-03-2014, 06:26 AM
As is tradition with the games that have come out since we got together, I am getting one version and he's getting the other. Alpha sapphire for me, omega ruby for him! He's pretty excited about them bringing secret bases back. I haven't played ruby or sapphire yet (I've played red, crystal, soul silver, black, black 2, and x, just started diamond today) so I'm unfamiliar with bases, but seeing him excited is good enough for me! :)

Who plans on getting one or both?

Bonus: if you give me your friend code, I'll give you mine!

Ayen
08-03-2014, 06:49 AM
I don't have any plans to get them. I didn't care much for the original Sapphire and Ruby. Even if I did I'd probably start off with X/Y first. This is all assuming a certain handheld system falls into my lap on my birthday.

I think it's cool you guys are getting one of each. You can trade and battle.

Skyblade
08-03-2014, 07:32 AM
I'm very hesitant. Gen III was my least favorite generation of all the Pokémon games. It's the only generation I never finished. Something just felt off about it.

Then too, they're massively retconning a number of things that I'm not exactly happy about. They're adding in more Legendary "Evolutions", further destroying what was one of the main points of the Legendary Pokémon. They're adding Mega Evolution into Hoenn at an early time in the Pokémon timeline, despite the clear plot points in X and Y that it's new, and only known to happen in Kalos.

I like the idea of the secret bases, because they're brilliant for StreetPass. But I don't know that I'm going to pick this one up.

Noire
08-03-2014, 10:01 AM
I didn't mind Gen III, although until Gen V came along it was my least favourite generation. I didn't care for a lot of the new Pokemon, and after exploring both Johto and Kanto in the previous generation, going back to a single region felt quite restrictive. There just wasn't as much to do, and the dual team mechanic felt like you were only getting half a story. They rectified that with Emerald, but I expect it'll happen in these two games again. Plus the soundtrack was abominable, although I doubt that will be a problem with the remakes.

Regardless, I'm getting both. They come out just after my mother's birthday, so I'll probably get her whichever one I don't play (probably Omega Ruby; I always preferred Kyogre) since she enjoys the games as much as I do. I doubt I'll enjoy them as much as I did HG/SS, but I expect they'll still be great fun, and a great burst of nostalgia. As long as there is more postgame content than there was in X and Y, I'll be happy.

NorthernChaosGod
08-03-2014, 05:33 PM
My girlfriend and I are definitely getting each when they come, I think she's leaning toward Sapphire so I'll end up with Ruby.

Dat Matt
08-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Gen 3 was my favorite as I was growing up at the time it came out and my attention span was more focused onto a few titles rather than "Hey look at that, Hot wheels world tour racing game was hilarious".

It's also when I started such games as Metroid Fusion speedrunning and Tactics advance. I loved my GBA.

Nice
08-04-2014, 04:37 AM
Ruby and Sapphire were good games. I had mixed feelings about them when they came out. As noted earlier in this thread, after GSC, going from two regions to one felt cheap. I expected to explore three regions in RS. But they were awesome in their own right.