PDA

View Full Version : Are the stats maxed out at 255?

Ergroilnin
08-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Okay even though I have spent and will spend more countless hours on FFX, there is still one thing I do not know.

And that is as the title says, are the stats really maxed out at 255? Obviously on display they are but is it actually possible to raise them even more by adding more spheres on the grid?

This is something I read a while back on many forums but I never found definite answer as for if they are or aren't maxed out at 255. This would obviously only be possibly useful for strength and more importantly, magic. Not that it is really needed but still is it possible?

Stats are a little weird as in Agility is pretty much really maxed anyway.

Anyone knows for SURE which is it?

Formalhaut
08-03-2014, 05:11 PM
HP is maxed out at 9999, with Break HP Limit that rises to 99,999.
MP is maxed out at 999, with Break MP Limit that rises to 9999.

All remaining stats, which are Strength, Defense, Magic, Magic Defense, Agility, Evasion and Luck are maxed out at 255.

Adding more spheres that would take you above these limits would make them redundant. Having read walkthroughs and other guides out there, I see no reason to think you would benefit from "going beyond 255", simply because you can't!

Mo-Nercy
08-03-2014, 05:18 PM
I don't believe so. From what I've heard, 255 is a definite hard cap on all stats that can get that far. You're right about Agility being pretty useless beyond a certain point. Once you're in the 150+ region, you're pretty much as fast as you need to be and any more would be a waste of nodes.

But I wouldn't bother pushing Strength and Magic beyond 255, even if the game allowed you to. If you really want an uber team and you're doing this on the HD Remaster + Standard Sphere Grid, you've got the nodes to go for as high a Luck as possible (255 is unreasonable - it's a lot of Fortune Spheres) and that way you're getting yourself an awesome Critical Hit rate.

Ergroilnin
08-03-2014, 05:19 PM
HP is maxed out at 9999, with Break HP Limit that rises to 99,999.
MP is maxed out at 999, with Break MP Limit that rises to 9999.

All remaining stats, which are Strength, Defense, Magic, Magic Defense, Agility, Evasion and Luck are maxed out at 255.

Adding more spheres that would take you above these limits would make them redundant. Having read walkthroughs and other guides out there, I see no reason to think you would benefit from "going beyond 255", simply because you can't!

Yeah sure about HP/MP there is obviously no point. As I said the stats graphically max out at 255 and really there is no big reason why shouldn't they also max out in reality considering 255 is one byte, a standard programming limit.

It's just that I read it quite alot before and was curious if there is anything behind it or just rumor.

I don't believe so. From what I've heard, 255 is a definite hard cap on all stats that can get that far. You're right about Agility being pretty useless beyond a certain point. Once you're in the 150+ region, you're pretty much as fast as you need to be and any more would be a waste of nodes.

But I wouldn't bother pushing Strength and Magic beyond 255, even if the game allowed you to. If you really want an uber team and you're doing this on the HD Remaster + Standard Sphere Grid, you've got the nodes to go for as high a Luck as possible (255 is unreasonable - it's a lot of Fortune Spheres) and that way you're getting yourself an awesome Critical Hit rate.

Oh I did max luck to 255 twice before already, I don't find it THAT time consuming, but that's simply because I love toying with the sphere grid. The awesome thing about luck is you can have literally zero accuracy and I think only 30 or 35 evasion to max those properities out with 255 luck, not to mention the criticals as you said.

Sephiroth
08-03-2014, 05:30 PM
You can't raise your stats to an overflow with the grid or even the super bosses would deal ridiculous damage and they don't. And that would be easy because getting Def and MDef Spheres is easy and fast to fairly easy and fast later. For the additional support you have Protect, Shell and Def and MDef + x%. I always have overflowing stats, in terms of the count on my grid being over 255 but they don't actually have an effect.

Ergroilnin
08-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Good point about overflowing def and m.def. Don't forget Cheer and Focus for damage reduction :P But now that you mention it, I wonder how do those def%+ abilities work. Since there probably really is a hard limit of 255, they probably won't work in 255*1.2 but I don't really know how else.

Sephiroth
08-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Good point about overflowing def and m.def. Don't forget Cheer and Focus for damage reduction :P But now that you mention it, I wonder how do those def%+ abilities work. Since there probably really is a hard limit of 255, they probably won't work in 255*1.2 but I don't really know how else.

I hope you did understand that it has no actual overflowing effect. And the x% abilities are additionally calculated. It does not really add something to the 255 stat value. As said, that is not possible the same way as "overflowing stats that are not shown" could be possible - which is not possible here. Everything that can be used additionally is additionally only and does not work the same way you have meant with your starting post which is more like "300 permanently but only 255 are shown" if I did understand you right.

Formalhaut
08-03-2014, 06:24 PM
Agility, Evasion and Luck are tied together, in a way. Luck helps shores up deficits in both stats if it's high enough. Luck is pretty powerful.

Sephiroth
08-03-2014, 06:29 PM
Agility, Evasion and Luck are tied together, in a way. Luck helps shores up deficits in both stats if it's high enough. Luck is pretty powerful.

Luck is the best stat flexibility-wise, yes. The Heretic Aeons are Yojimbo-less/Aeon-less and luck-less almost impossible to beat. At least the last ones. And I mean in normal Melee. But that would exclude Yojimbo anyway, I just wanted to count him.

Ergroilnin
08-03-2014, 06:34 PM

I hope you did understand that it has no actual overflowing effect. And the x% abilities are additionally calculated. It does not really add something to the 255 stat value. As said, that is not possible the same way as "overflowing stats that are not shown" could be possible - which is not possible here. Everything that can be used additionally is additionally only and does not work the same way you have meant with your starting post which is more like "300 permanently but only 255 are shown" if I did understand you right.

Yeah don't worry I understand you right. And yes you got what I meant. Well seems like there is no more need for the discussion, rumor busted.

Sephiroth
08-03-2014, 06:35 PM

Yeah don't worry I understand you right. And yes you got what I meant. Well seems like there is no more need for the discussion, rumor busted.

So we are the Myth Busters II.

Jessweeee♪
08-03-2014, 09:03 PM
A lot of the stats you don't even have to raise to 255 to get the maximum benefit. Luck works as Evasion and Accuracy as well, so if you have luck at 230 (highest enemy luck stat + 100), evasion at 60, and accuracy at 0, you would see no improvement if you then maxed all three of them to 255.

Sephiroth
08-04-2014, 12:16 AM
A lot of the stats you don't even have to raise to 255 to get the maximum benefit. Luck works as Evasion and Accuracy as well, so if you have luck at 230 (highest enemy luck stat + 100), evasion at 60, and accuracy at 0, you would see no improvement if you then maxed all three of them to 255.

If I understood what Ergolinin meant with one of his posts right, he already said that. At least about Luck.