08-04-2014, 12:29 AM
http://www.hypable.com/2014/08/03/studio-ghibli-announces-closure/

It's the end of an era.

Jinx
08-04-2014, 12:31 AM
I kind of want to put up a Ponyo set in Remembrance of Ghibli. ;-;

Tavrobel
08-04-2014, 12:37 AM
Yeah, they've been having issues with their new movies being profitable. The last two, Marnie and Kaguya were flops in terms of money even if they were reviewed well (both cost in the area between 40 and 50 million USD). They went over schedule and budget, and it was a complete mess.

When Miyazaki left, it might as well have been over. Supposedly they'll remain as a shell company to keep their rights on their films and that's it. The Ghibli Twitter seems to indicate that they're not totally going away but that they are taking a break to consider the future of the company.

However...

http://i.imgur.com/RTzgzoT.png

Source: The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness, a documentary about Ghibli.

5lL2ccsL888

Omoide_no_Marnie 8.17 (http://myanimelist.net/anime/21557/Omoide_no_Marnie)
Kaguya-hime_no_Monogatari 8.22 (http://myanimelist.net/anime/16664/Kaguya-hime_no_Monogatari)

Quindiana Jones
08-04-2014, 12:43 AM
Quin announces suicide.

Scotty_ffgamer
08-04-2014, 01:07 AM
Assuming they do indeed stop making movies, this is a very sad day. :(

I do hope that some of the directors for Ghibli will go on to make movies for other companies at the very least.

Colonel Angus
08-04-2014, 01:08 AM
:G They made some phenomenal movies. This is awful.

Mirage
08-04-2014, 01:13 AM
sux, but i'm sure the best guys from there will be able to express themselves in other companies

hopefully.

Nicolas
08-04-2014, 01:59 AM
sux, but i'm sure the best guys from there will be able to express themselves in other companies

hopefully.

that's the hope, yeah. also, there are two more films to be released in the west and an anime series coming out this fall.

Freya
08-04-2014, 02:28 AM
So saaad.

Pike
08-04-2014, 04:16 AM
So I clicked on the link and it had been updated and said there was a translation error and it was not actually closing, just taking a pause in production and restructuring.

Did some further research:

Realize that, at the time of writing, no major Japanese newspaper is running this story. Nor did any morning TV shows. Had Studio Ghibli - a national treasure - definitively ceased production of films, it would be headline news around the country, as it would be important in both the entertainment and business worlds.

Endless
08-04-2014, 11:10 AM
Here's more info that is referred to in the update Pike talks about:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-08-03/ghibli-co-founder-suzuki-studio-considers-dismantling-production-department/.77263

Quindiana Jones
08-04-2014, 11:14 AM
Quin used Phoenix Down!

Shorty
08-04-2014, 04:58 PM
So they're not closing?

I would be sad to see them go, but I think they've produced enough wonderful content that I'd be happy with their departure. They're exceeded beyond their potential as a film-making studio and I believe it's best to quit while you're ahead. But I look forward to more films in the future if they aren't closing!

Tavrobel
08-04-2014, 05:39 PM
So they're not closing?

Strictly speaking, no, that was not the plan.

In practice, they're near doomed.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-04-2014, 05:45 PM
I think we will see a large shift in the amount of work and type of work coming from Ghibli.

Maybe some of the talent that doesn't stay will move to Gainax or somewhere. Either way it's the end of this chapter, and all we can do is hope the next chapter makes it's own incredible/unique mark.

Nicolas
08-04-2014, 05:59 PM
They've actually been hinting at this development for a while. Even Miyazaki has said it. More than likely the animation department will close down for an indeterminate amount of time, but the company will remain open. I believe they wanted to keep it open to deal with their licenses. We'll see if that's actually what they do or when that happens.

Pete for President
08-04-2014, 08:13 PM
No matter what the company may end up being, at least their films are timeless.

Kalevala
08-05-2014, 08:33 AM
As some have stated, it's unfortunate but this doesn't mean the staff are going to vanish. I'm sure we'll still see some great works in the future from some of them.

Quindiana Jones
08-05-2014, 11:16 AM

I suppose that's true. It's a bit like being devastated that Picasso is dead. It's a shame, yeah, but he's already painted Starry Night so I guess it's okay. :)

Jinx
08-05-2014, 01:03 PM

I suppose that's true. It's a bit like being devastated that Picasso is dead. It's a shame, yeah, but he's already painted Starry Night so I guess it's okay. :)

That was van Gogh, you doofus.

Quindiana Jones
08-05-2014, 04:17 PM

It's genuinely one of my favourite pieces of art and I'm not sure how I managed to fuck that up. xD

Iceglow
08-08-2014, 05:06 PM
I remember my niece seeing Ponyo on TV with me one christmas. She literally sat there for the entire movie glued to the TV, it's still one of her favourite films.

Christmas
08-05-2022, 05:51 AM
Spirited Away, man!

Dr. Acula
08-10-2022, 11:02 AM

It's genuinely one of my favourite pieces of art and I'm not sure how I managed to smurf that up. xD

I thought this was Quin making a joke and I'm sad that it wasn't.