PDA

View Full Version : What is the worst RPG you ever played?

Wolf Kanno
08-04-2014, 04:37 AM
I'm sure we've all played a fair number of RPGs, and I'm also sure that a few of them were pretty awful (unless your BoB who will like a game for the sake of not hurting its feelings) so what are some RPGs you have played that quickly saw you swearing them off and warning friends and family not to play them?

Pumpkin
08-04-2014, 04:39 AM
Umm.... Maximo? Was Maximo an RPG...?

I can't even remember

VeloZer0
08-04-2014, 05:11 AM
Maximo was not an RPG, and on top of that it wasn't that bad. (Certainly not great either...)
Seeing as I couldn't do anything even by forcing myself to play I will go with Unlimited Saga. Though I suppose there are 'free'-to-play RPGs out there that will make anything look good in comparison.

Skyblade
08-04-2014, 06:13 AM
Um. The one that springs immediately to mind is Megaman Battle Network 4, but I'll have to think on it a bit to make sure.

Noire
08-04-2014, 07:37 AM
Hmmm...this one is a toss up between Mugen Souls, Time and Eternity and Agarest: Generations of War. The first was horrendously glitchy, ugly with presentation, and had those horrible G-Castle battles, the second has probably the worst combat system and lip-syncing I've ever seen, and the third was just another sloppy, lazy Aksys game that lacked any sort of depth or anything that even remotely compelled me to play it. They're...pretty evenly matched. xD

Skyblade
08-04-2014, 08:17 AM
Hmmm...this one is a toss up between Mugen Souls, Time and Eternity and Agarest: Generations of War. The first was horrendously glitchy, ugly with presentation, and had those horrible G-Castle battles, the second has probably the worst combat system and lip-syncing I've ever seen, and the third was just another sloppy, lazy Aksys game that lacked any sort of depth or anything that even remotely compelled me to play it. They're...pretty evenly matched. xD

Eh, I actually enjoyed the combat system in Time and Eternity. It wasn't fantastic, by any means, but I thought it was unique, interesting, and competent. I also really liked the unlock system in that game.

It's a pity that the entire first half of the game is a exercise in seeing how much the devs could get you to hate the main character, and that they felt the need to cram so much unwanted fanservice into the game.

Battle Network 4 was definitely worse.

Ayen
08-04-2014, 11:49 AM
Final Fantasy XIII.
I've voiced my reasons elsewhere so I don't feel a need to repeat myself.

metagloria
08-04-2014, 02:19 PM
Tecmo's Secret of the Stars.

NeoCracker
08-04-2014, 02:41 PM
Agarest: Generations of War.

YOU DIE NOW!

I'll throw my vote in, however, whith it's Sequel. That game was trout.

As was Mana Khemia 2.

Vyk
08-04-2014, 04:31 PM
Beyond the Beyond. A game from one of my favorite companies back in the day. And all the characters were ridiculously ugly and annoying. The combat was boring and standard. But I honestly don't remember much about the gameplay or story. I just remember not being able to stand the characters. I was sad. And irritated

Dat Matt
08-04-2014, 09:03 PM
The Last remnant on the 360. I couldn't work out how levelling up magic and stuff worked, and the game was so very laggy it made the game basically unplayable. I also missed one quest and that prevented me getting true ending which annoyed me to no end, so I dropped it pretty far in. It probably wouldn't bug me as much now though, but it sure did then...

I always planned to go back to the PC version and start over, but backlog

Ergroilnin
08-04-2014, 09:10 PM
The Last remnant on the 360. I couldn't work out how levelling up magic and stuff worked, and the game was so very laggy it made the game basically unplayable. I also missed one quest and that prevented me getting true ending which annoyed me to no end, so I dropped it pretty far in. It probably wouldn't bug me as much now though, but it sure did then...

I always planned to go back to the PC version and start over, but backlog

I have Last Remnant on the Steam and no lags, they supposedly fixed alot of stuff for the PC.

Depression Moon
08-05-2014, 02:00 AM
http://archive.thegia.com/n64/q64/q64_logo.jpg

Never again.

Rez09
08-05-2014, 05:14 AM
Beyond the Beyond.

I was considering that one actually. :o

I have to give it to Shadow Madness, though. I borrowed it and SaGa Frontier from a friend and decided play all the way through one before I touched the other. I chose remarkably poorly.

Bright Shield
08-05-2014, 07:48 PM
I second FFXIII. All of it's sequels as well.

Wolf Kanno
08-05-2014, 08:01 PM
In terms of buggy unplayable awfulness I would say Hydlyde for the NES though I have heard the game is a really bad port of a pretty decent PC series so that may have to do with a few factors of why this game sucks.

In terms of a game that did nothing for me and was poorly designed but not actually unplayable, then I would say FFXIII.

Laddy
08-06-2014, 08:48 PM
Hydlide, Beyond the Beyond, and Quest 64 are all pretty damn atrocious.

My vote, however, would have to go to Shifters, a little-known PS2 hack-and-slasher that was a spin-off of my beloved Might & Magic series.

Forsaken Lover
08-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time.

Vyk
08-19-2014, 01:10 AM
Really? That's funny, because now that you mention it, Star Ocean: The Last Hope was extremely bad in my opinion. Played like 20 hours before calling it quits, and about 15 of those hours Tidus 2.0 (Edge) spent being an emo DOUCHEBAG. He was just starting to pull out when I finally set down the controller for the last time. Some better writing/character needed for that one. Wouldn't call it the worst though. But it's the only only Star Ocean I've really sank my teeth into, and it makes me kinda sad for the series

Colonel Angus
08-19-2014, 03:22 AM
I played a bit of Arcana, & found it odd.

Really, any RPG where it's first person view is rough. I think Sword of Vermillion had a bit of that, too. I remember as a kid (before I got a Genesis), that game sold for $70 dollars or something, more than any other Genesis game @ the time.

Don't know if I hate any of these games, but they didn't do anything for me.

escobert
08-19-2014, 03:32 AM

Forsaken Lover
08-19-2014, 03:35 AM
Really? That's funny, because now that you mention it, Star Ocean: The Last Hope was extremely bad in my opinion. Played like 20 hours before calling it quits, and about 15 of those hours Tidus 2.0 (Edge) spent being an emo DOUCHEBAG. He was just starting to pull out when I finally set down the controller for the last time. Some better writing/character needed for that one. Wouldn't call it the worst though. But it's the only only Star Ocean I've really sank my teeth into, and it makes me kinda sad for the series

Edge really isn't anything like Tidus apart from being a blond protagonist in a JRPG... Oh and using a sword.

Edge was only "emo" for a small period because of a really bad thing that happened. Up to that point he was very cheerful and pretty normal.

Edge is certainly one of the least annoying characters in the game for me. Not liking TLH because of Lymle or Meracle or Sarah, that I can understand. Edge though was pretty average.

Vyk
08-19-2014, 03:49 AM
The lashing out, the brooding, the crying, the pretentious behavior, trying to act like nobody understands what he feels. Or the childish way he draws in on himself because of it. Completely unbecoming of a protagonist and a freaking captain. It lasted for like two or three locations. It was no small portion. And it completely reminded me of Tidus the entire time. Understand why he felt the way he did, but to take it to the extent he did was ridiculous. Probably because in good old Japanese fashion, he was like high school age or something. But in reality, being a captain means tough decisions and tough outcomes and he failed. Which would have been fine. A great opportunity for good drama and character building. But his character was completely unbuilt and I didn't find it worth sticking around to see if he built back up after that. I swear it had to have lasted for a good 10 hours or more. Or I was just extremely slow in getting through that next planet and alien stuff

I wouldn't really try to convince anyone to give up on the game if that episode doesn't bother them. But it certainly ruined the game for me. I wonder if they changed it a bit in the PS3 port. Perhaps different voice actors, a tweak on the writing, or some pacing during those parts of the game changed things. Who knows

AssassinDX
08-20-2014, 07:44 PM
Time & Eternity for me as well, mercifully I only rented it so no long term damage was done.

Sephiroth
08-20-2014, 08:01 PM
The lashing out, the brooding, the crying, the pretentious behavior, trying to act like nobody understands what he feels. Or the childish way he draws in on himself because of it.

Edge destroyed an entire planet because he trusted someone. Try to cope with that after you have done it. That is no good feeling. That is not ridiculous at all. A human being falls into a deep abyss for less reasons and the fact that a single decision of someone who does not want to cause harm can cause that much harm is something to consider once it happens. That is not exaggerated, it is conscience. Eleyna was right with saying he should not be so full of himself to think he could control these things alone but that does not change the fact that he still was a part of the chain that would not have existed without him. And even if he cannot change these things and he shouldn't hesitate to do what he feels of as right, this feeling of guilt and hesitating is necessary because that is what being a person with morals is. And even a captain is just a fallible being that needs to consider his decisions. Exactly because what he wants to do right s captain makes this necessary actually. As necessary as his friends helping him out of this abyss.

black orb
08-20-2014, 08:24 PM
>>> A pokemon game I guess, I played it for 5 minutes..:luca:

Vyk
08-23-2014, 06:51 AM
The lashing out, the brooding, the crying, the pretentious behavior, trying to act like nobody understands what he feels. Or the childish way he draws in on himself because of it.

Edge destroyed an entire planet because he trusted someone. Try to cope with that after you have done it. That is no good feeling. That is not ridiculous at all. A human being falls into a deep abyss for less reasons and the fact that a single decision of someone who does not want to cause harm can cause that much harm is something to consider once it happens. That is not exaggerated, it is conscience. Eleyna was right with saying he should not be so full of himself to think he could control these things alone but that does not change the fact that he still was a part of the chain that would not have existed without him. And even if he cannot change these things and he shouldn't hesitate to do what he feels of as right, this feeling of guilt and hesitating is necessary because that is what being a person with morals is. And even a captain is just a fallible being that needs to consider his decisions. Exactly because what he wants to do right s captain makes this necessary actually. As necessary as his friends helping him out of this abyss.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with all of that. It's not the bullet-points of the story or his reaction as a character that bothered me. It was how it was portrayed. Like bad writing or bad direction or something. It all could have been done a lot better and not made him out to be such a douche about. He came across as juvenile to me rather than dramatic. It's probably just one of those things where I feel like some Japanese don't know how to write real drama, and instead they write melodrama. Similar things can happen in episodes of Star Trek, but it doesn't make me want to murder the character involved just for how they react. Even then, lashing out, or dwelling, or going quiet can be done in quite a realistic and artistic manner. Something relatable and mature. Not juvenile and immature. I really can't put my finger on it in a way that might actually convey exactly why it bothers me. It's really just the presentation. Not the subject matter

Don't be too put off by my opinion though. I've written off much better games for similar gripes. I have unrealistic standards when it comes to entertainment. If the writing in a game doesn't speak to me, or clashes with how I think things should be done as a writer, I have a hard time following along on the train ride. Nothing against the game. I just couldn't enjoy that segment. I think they missed an opportunity for better drama and better portrayed character development. Granted drama and character development were indeed there. I just didn't like it how it was

Spooniest
08-23-2014, 08:09 AM
Beyond the Beyond.

I was considering that one actually. :o

Yeah, that one pretty much takes the cake for me. You really have to have paid $40 for it and played it to know the sting of it.

arenzi
08-23-2014, 01:58 PM
Probably an unpopular opinion but I didn't like any of the old western RPGs on PC like Planescape or Baldur's Gate. I just couldn't get into them.

Mirage
08-23-2014, 04:14 PM
Xenosaga

I Took the Red Pill
08-24-2014, 08:52 AM
Arc the Lad: End of Darkness. It's unfortunate because I was a big fan of Twilight of the Spirits.

Laddy
08-24-2014, 04:11 PM
Probably an unpopular opinion but I didn't like any of the old western RPGs on PC like Planescape or Baldur's Gate. I just couldn't get into them.
​What can change the nature of a man?

Vyk
08-24-2014, 04:17 PM
To be fair, you do tend to have to enjoy table-top RPGs, and high fantasy stuff like Conan The Barbarian to really be able to enjoy things like Baldur's Gate, considering it was built out of Dungeons & Dragons

Colonel Angus
08-24-2014, 07:22 PM
To be fair, you do tend to have to enjoy table-top RPGs, and high fantasy stuff like Conan The Barbarian to really be able to enjoy things like Baldur's Gate, considering it was built out of Dungeons & Dragons
I think you're the only person to ever refer to Conan the Barbarian as "high fantasy".

Bunny
08-24-2014, 07:36 PM
Final Fantasy X-2.

DMKA
08-24-2014, 09:03 PM
http://iv1.lisimg.com/image/1765018/600full-drakkhen-cover.jpg

Vyk
08-24-2014, 09:28 PM
I think you're the only person to ever refer to Conan the Barbarian as "high fantasy".
I'm far from a connoisseur of fantasy sub-genres. I was referring to the black and white of it being either high fantasy or low fantasy; or high fantasy or hard fantasy; or high fantasy or fairy tale fantasy.

Mirage
08-24-2014, 10:00 PM

Final Fantasy was also built out of D&D.

Bunny
08-24-2014, 10:41 PM
To be fair, you do tend to have to enjoy table-top RPGs, and high fantasy stuff like Conan The Barbarian to really be able to enjoy things like Baldur's Gate, considering it was built out of Dungeons & DragonsFinal Fantasy was also built out of D&D.So? Final Fantasy was built out of a lot more than just Dungeons and Dragons. Baldur's Gate, on the other hand, is solely D&D.

Jibril
08-26-2014, 08:21 PM
To be fair, you do tend to have to enjoy table-top RPGs, and high fantasy stuff like Conan The Barbarian to really be able to enjoy things like Baldur's Gate, considering it was built out of Dungeons & DragonsFinal Fantasy was also built out of D&D.So? Final Fantasy was built out of a lot more than just Dungeons and Dragons.
Yeah, like Wizardry and Ultima. Guess what those were built out of

On topic: Probably either Secret of the Stars, Xenosaga 1 or... Eternal Sonata.

deepdoop
08-26-2014, 10:13 PM

Nah. I have to be in the right mood to play them. I love Planescape, but I can't sit and play those type of RPGs on a frequent basis. Every so often I can break one out and there are a few new ones I'm really excited for. They also aren't what I grew up with, so that might be part of the reason, whereas my older brother adores them because he spent so much time with them.

I'm not sure what my least favourite RPG is to be honest. I've never liked Xenogears, and that boggles my mind because I should like Xenogears. I despise Final Fantasy 12.

I know there are some really bad RPGs that I've played over the years, like games I've rented and then forgot, so I'll just leave it at this.

Shiny
08-27-2014, 08:57 AM
Dark Cloud

I don't understand the appeal of that game. So what the main character looks like Link. Zelda this is not.

Dat Matt
08-30-2014, 07:50 PM
Dark Cloud

I don't understand the appeal of that game. So what the main character looks like Link. Zelda this is not.

I liked dark cloud. It's a dungeon crawler where you get to explore for spare parts to upgrade your weapons. Restoring villages as you go. I understand why people are divided about it, but it's good for a bit of mindless running around. Nier is the same.

Pumpkin
09-01-2014, 03:36 PM
I loved Dark Cloud and Eternal Sonata

Christmas
04-03-2022, 02:05 AM
FF XIII and its bastard offsprings. I can't even finish it. It is like visiting a pub but it only offers milk. :(

Expired milk. :(

Spuuky
04-03-2022, 02:14 AM
I will never pass on the opportunity to mention Star Ocean: The Last Hope, because it really is the worst.

Example
04-04-2022, 09:42 AM
The first DBZ: Legacy of Goku for the GBA. How they went from this borderline unplayable piece of crap to the excellent LoG2 and Buu's Fury is nothing short of astounding.

Also Crisis Core. I heard from so many people, including those who hated OG FF7, about how Crisis Core is so amazing and how Zack is way better than Cloud and how the game itself is way better than the original and how it succeeds where the original fails and makes the story and characters better etc. so you could not imagine how hyped I was to play this game. And...yeah, I learned my lesson about trusting the FF fandom.

Dark Cloud

The town building was pretty cool, shame everything else about the game is mediocre at best. I hear the sequel is much better though.

Dr. Acula
04-04-2022, 10:53 PM
Sudeki. I still think it's fun though.

Quindiana Jones
04-08-2022, 02:45 PM
I really didn't enjoy Last Remnant but I can't remember why. By all accounts it's perfectly average.

BG-57
04-13-2022, 12:08 AM
I'm jumping on the Beyond the Beyond bashing bandwagon. I got a PSX a year before FFVII came out, just because I knew it would be released only on that platform. So I had a year to make due with BtB, which was the first RPG to be released on the system. Very lackluster, but what killed it for me was the strongest fighter got cursed early on, making him almost useless in battle for 1/3 of the game.

I must say that one silver lining was the soundtrack, one of my favorites was the final dungeon music which speeds up every time you go down a floor and slows down every time you go up a floor. The same composer went on to score the seminal Valkyrie Profile series.

BTW, Dark Cloud 2 is great!

tidus79
04-21-2022, 10:40 PM
I really didn't enjoy Enchanted Arms (Xbox 360) so boring :lol: