PDA

View Full Version : EoFF Geoguessr 2 - Join thread.

Endless
08-04-2014, 12:44 PM
Last year, Shion ran the EoFF Geoguessr game (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/151692-EoFF-GeoGuessr-Play-Thread!), and my modesty forbids me from saying I won it. I had said back then that I would run the next one so Shion could play, and the time has come.

This game is in two phases:
- the current one is to either a) sign up as a guessr and/or b) sign up as a guessee (picture submitter). You can absolutely be both or one or the other.
- next one will be the game proper, where you'll have to guess the locations.

The information for the first part is mostly like last year's, but I'm updating a few points. Here is the updated guide (see the bold parts):

Take pictures of your town, or a town near you if you're on vacation.

Take a few pics around town. We don't have the fancy technology that Google Maps does where we can move around on the photos, so incorporate a few areas of the town. 5 pics would be ideal.
Unless you want us stalking you, maybe don't take a picture of your house with the number and such shown blatantly in the picture.
Try to avoid signs that give away the town's name, but feel free to throw in signs like road signs or what have you that add hints.
This is supposed to be fun. Don't make it too difficult. Try to balance challenge and fun in your pics.
Add one picture from google street view of the location's reference's point, you should send me the link to the google street view (or google map if no street view exists) and I'll take care of it.

Send the pictures to me, Endless, sometime before August 25th at 11:59 PM CEST.

If you want to participate but need an extension, let me know and we will see what we can work out.

I will post them up in a thread, without stating the member who sent them. That might make it too easy.

People try to guess the location based off of the pictures.

Points will be assigned for each guess based off of the distance between your guess and the actual location.
Example: The location of the photos is Bozeman, Montana, USA. I guessed Greenville, South Carolina, USA. The distance is 2096 miles. Therefore my score is proportional to 2096.

The points are like golf points. The lower your score, the better. The reason is because your points are based off of distance and you want the lowest difference between your guess and the actual location.
You get one guess per round.
You obviously get a 0 when time comes for your own picture, but you are allowed to post in the play thread to mislead people ;)
Once everyone has taken a guess, and there have been no more responses for that location, it will be revealed and the second round will be posted up.
The OP will be updated after every round with the participants listed in order of highest to lowest score.
The way I'm going to be posting pictures this year will be slightly different. In particular, it will allow bonuses and therefore negative scoring. Just like golf :D

Once we have all of our locations guessed, the winner will be crowned!!

Interested in participating? You should be!!! If you want to contribute a location (the most important part of the game) make sure to PM it to me, Endless, by August 25th at 11:59 PM CEST. That's three weeks. I will harass people if I don't get enough submissions. Remember, the locations are anonymous, don't advertise that you're sending in pictures.

If you are interested in being a participant, please sign up here.
This is in the interest of not dragging the competition out forever waiting for responses. Just say I WANT TO PARTICIPATE THIS IS SO COOL below and I will edit the OP to include your participation.

*Notes*
You do not need to submit photos in order to play, although I recommend you do. At worst, I will find pictures of different locations if we don't have enough photos.
SEND ME PHOTOS

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
08-04-2014, 09:55 PM
This sounds like fun. I will think about it.

Pumpkin
08-04-2014, 10:01 PM
I need to read the rules better

I'LL PLAY

Denmark
08-05-2014, 05:58 AM
dude nice

Mo-Nercy
08-05-2014, 03:48 PM
i want to participate this is so cool

Shauna
08-05-2014, 03:50 PM
I will be on holiday for some of this. Boo. I think I'll just give it a pass.

Endless
09-05-2014, 04:58 PM
So a few people wanted to play, but I received no picture whatsoever.

Smurf it, I guess.