PDA

View Full Version : What Does the Chocobo Say?

Pumpkin
08-05-2014, 12:49 PM
Yep, another one of these :monster:

P.S. The correct answer is Kweh

Spooniest
08-05-2014, 01:06 PM
I will be incorrect, then, because I choose WARK

Vermachtnis
08-05-2014, 02:41 PM
:chocobo: KWEH

Sephiroth
08-05-2014, 02:46 PM
Kweh, Kweh is right. It is the original Japanese term.

Freya
08-05-2014, 03:10 PM
Wa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pow?

MJN SEIFER
08-05-2014, 03:18 PM
Kweh sounds like the actual phonetics, Wark sounds like how a human would try to describe the sound, if that makes sense (though in some games, like FFVII it doesn't sound like either). I prefer "kweh" though.

Didn't the FFIV chocobos say "cooc" in some versions, I can remember The Power of Cheese making fun of this.

Spooniest
08-05-2014, 03:20 PM
Didn't the FFIV chocobos say "cooc" in some versions, I can remember The Power of Cheese making fun of this.

That was in the US FF2 on the SNES, in other words, the original that we got to see here. I guess they were supposed to sound like large chickens or the Cadbury Bunny or something. Bok-bok-bok-aaaa

Sephiroth
08-05-2014, 03:49 PM
Kweh sounds like the actual phonetics, ...

It is also what the Japanese version says. "Ku-e". The sound itself in Final Fantasy VII is very much like "Wark", however.

metagloria
08-05-2014, 04:06 PM
Wark like an Egyptian (chocobo).

Quindiana Jones
08-05-2014, 04:26 PM
The correct answer is both, but I played FF9 first.

Bobby Corwen says kweh, so kweh is the law.

Psychotic
08-05-2014, 05:29 PM
Wark this way.

Loony BoB
08-05-2014, 08:51 PM
Wild chocobos say 'Wark', domesticated chocobos say 'Kweh'. For chocobos that have been captured and therefore are a bit of both, I suppose it just comes down to how wild they are at heart.

Ergroilnin
08-05-2014, 09:07 PM
What do the chocobos say when you give them an enema?

K-KWEHHH!!!

Lone Wolf Leonhart
08-05-2014, 10:53 PM
Whether kweh or wark or anything else, the message is the same:

Gysahl Greens.

Shauna
08-05-2014, 11:13 PM
I am trying to imagine some way to do an FF version of What Does the Fox Say?

I am not doing well.

escobert
08-05-2014, 11:39 PM
Wark this way.

Mirage
08-05-2014, 11:41 PM
Yep, another one of these :monster:

P.S. The correct answer is Kweh

If you think that's the correct answer then why did you give us an option for wark? The answer is of course that you aren't truly convinced that kweh is the right answer!

Spooniest
08-06-2014, 02:03 AM
If you don't know how to do it, I'll show you how to Wark the Dog

Sephex
08-06-2014, 02:41 AM
"Wark" is the most amusing.

The Ceej
08-06-2014, 05:10 PM
I don't care what the so called "correct" answer is. I have ears and my ears say that the "correct" answer is wrong.

If you listen to the games, it's very clear that, "wark," is what they're saying, regardless of whether the text says, "wark" or "kweh." Use you're ears, people! Translations don't always make sense. (There's no TH sound in Japanese either, so it's not Aerith, it's Sephiross. Don't believe me? Listen to One-Winged Angel again.)

I was just planning to lurk for a minute this morning because tonight is gonna be a big one... But, I'm very passionate about my chocobo sounds, so... Well, anyways, I had better go.

Quindiana Jones
08-06-2014, 05:59 PM
There's no arbre in English, either, which is why it's tree. That's kind of how translations work. xD

Sephiroth
08-07-2014, 02:20 AM
If you listen to the games, it's very clear that, "wark," is what they're saying, regardless of whether the text says, "wark" or "kweh." Use you're ears, people! Translations don't always make sense. (There's no TH sound in Japanese either, so it's not Aerith, it's Sephiross. Don't believe me? Listen to One-Winged Angel again.)

It isn't. When ficitional names are chosen they are also chosen with a western written version in mind and not only the Kanji/Katakana -> Romaji version like Katakana of Sephiroth -> Sefirosu but actually also "Sephiroth" (it is not always used or sometimes mistranslated but that is an extra topic) so Sefirosu very well is supposed to be Sephiroth or Kuraudo as Cloud and it is not that there is no "th" but that "s" and "th" share the same sound, the "su"-sound. Sephiroth was always supposed to be Sephiroth with the "th" sound which is why he was not spelled "Sefirotto" but "Sefirosu" which can be either "Sephiros" or "Sephiroth" with "th" being correct and the pronounciation as that is the existing and intended word that can either be pronounced "Sephirot" or "Sephiroth" - and that it is not the "t" was already explained as the "tto" would have been used then. And Aerith is Aerith as she is an allusion to Earth. That has been stated in the Kaitai Shinsho even before the new millenium, a Japanese book about Final Fantasy VII supervised by Square that provides information that was only included in that book. Sefiros is only the Japanese pronounciation as no "th" is used. In Japanese my name would be written and pronounced differently and still it is actually the same as it is exactly this intention. And "Wark" was only used because of the sound but that doesn't change the fact that it is "Ku-e".

Loony BoB
08-07-2014, 11:39 AM
And "Wark" was only used because of the sound but that doesn't change the fact that it is "Ku-e".
It's definitely a different sound in different games, and it is explained in FFT (if I recall correctly) that Kweh and Wark are two different sounds, much like Yip and Woof are two different sounds for dogs.

Sephiroth
08-07-2014, 12:59 PM
And "Wark" was only used because of the sound but that doesn't change the fact that it is "Ku-e".
It's definitely a different sound in different games, and it is explained in FFT (if I recall correctly) that Kweh and Wark are two different sounds, much like Yip and Woof are two different sounds for dogs.

I mean the "Wark" sound of Final Fantasy VII per sé. I compared it to the recurring text line that is permanently used. Or to quote Lightning: "Kue, Kue." Wark sounds like a chicken, Kweh is more like some wild bird. Not that a chicken would not be fitting with farms and all.

And which dog barks "Yip"? Or the popular "Woof"? I mean that people right it "Woff" all the time is clear for me but I already hear a "Harr! Harr! Harr!" or if anything "Wow! Wow! Wow!" if you know what I mean.

Shauna
08-07-2014, 01:04 PM
The chocobos in FFX make a noise akin to "wee-oo-wee-ee"

Where's that option?!

Quindiana Jones
08-07-2014, 01:27 PM
The coolest dogs says woof, and the funkiest chocobos say kweh. :cool:

MJN SEIFER
08-08-2014, 02:41 PM
I don't care what the so called "correct" answer is. I have ears and my ears say that the "correct" answer is wrong.

If you listen to the games, it's very clear that, "wark," is what they're saying, regardless of whether the text says, "wark" or "kweh." . It does depend on the game for me; in FFIX it does sound closer to "kweh". In FFVII it only really sounds like "wark" when the chocobo is angry with someone. When they are normal, it comes out kinda like "hole", but not exactly - kind of "ho-ole", but that doesn't work as an animal sound so they can't use that. When they are supposed to be excited it comes out like "woppie-woo" of all things to me. So ultimately it's how it sounds to you, and often times even real animal sounds don't always sound exactly right to me.

Strange I know.

DarkBahamut
08-10-2014, 04:54 AM
Really opened this thread hoping for a "What Does the Fox Say?" Parody .....