PDA

View Full Version : Lazy or Busy?

Pumpkin
08-05-2014, 01:13 PM
So I realized something about myself yesterday. I was having trouble with a game and I thought to myself "I have enough games to play, I have packing and stuff, work to do, site stuff to do, yada yada, maybe I'll just watch the rest of the game since I know how it plays and save some time."

Then it occurred to me, I have been playing the game for less than a week. LESS THAN A WEEK. I used to grind for a whole week and now I couldn't be bothered to grind for like a day. This wasn't just for this game, I've noticed this to be an ongoing pattern with new games I play. But if I play FFIX or VIII, or one of the games I played when I was younger, I spend much more time grinding and I don't even mind it. In fact, I enjoy it!

So was I really busy or was I making excuses for just being too lazy to grind anymore?

How about you? Have you lost patience for grinding in games or are you the same as ever?

Ergroilnin
08-05-2014, 01:54 PM
Not sure which is it but I am the same. As long as it's older game I played when I was teenager I don't mind spending time on it. For the new titles I usually just go through the story without doing much more and that's it.

Of course, if the new game actually interests me then I don't have problem with grinding too.

Uchu
08-05-2014, 03:13 PM
You know, sometimes i'm playing a game and i suddenly start questioning what i'm doing. Like "should i really be spending my time doing this?", "look at how many games I have waiting to play, maybe i should play one of those?", "what the hell were they thinking when they designed this!?!".

I was replaying CC over the last few weeks and I was enjoying it. I was doing the missions, taking my time with the story, and basically really getting into the game. But despite this I started to think "These missions... are kinda the same thing over and over.. kinda getting bored of this now", but of course I was conflicted in that I thought I should tackle these missions to make the most of the game almost as if I had some form of duty to complete something I wasn't particularly enjoying.

Grinding has a similar effect on me. Why should I have to grind? Is this really fun?

When playing older games that I have completed, I already know the story and so perhaps grinding/levelling/collecting is my new goal for playing so its not all that bad. But being forced to grind on a first play through has started to make me question if this is a good way of spending my time, especially when so many other games (let alone work etc) are waiting to be played.

In the end I quit doing the missions and just finished the game.

So, I don't think you're lazy, just your priorities have changed.

Scotty_ffgamer
08-05-2014, 04:39 PM
For me, it's because I'm busy. I can't waste time grinding for hours on end anymore because I'd like to get through a game in a reasonable amount of time. But even if i never grinded in a game, that can be hard to do with work.

Now with FFVIII, I could grind forever honestly. Just playing the game itself is relaxing/a stress reliever for me. I've just sat down and fought monsters for hours on end in that game while talking with friends or doing other things just because playing it helps calm my nerves.

Dat Matt
08-05-2014, 06:58 PM
It's Lazy for me. I would spend my time playing more games and getting through the backlog, but other things draw my attention. When I do get into the swing of things though, I can play forever.

Ayen
08-08-2014, 01:13 PM
I only have a week to play each game so I can't spend a lot of time grinding. I only grind when I need to, and a lot of the time I don't need to.