PDA

View Full Version : Laputa: Castle in the Sky

Rantz
08-05-2014, 08:33 PM
One of the less mentioned Miyazaki movies (and perhaps not the most memorable one), it was still one I really enjoyed and wouldn't mind seeing again one day. Pazu and Sheeta have quite a cute dynamic. What did you think of this movie?

Wolf Kanno
08-05-2014, 08:42 PM
Actually its considered his best film on both sides of the Pacific by most critics and fans. I think the forum just wasn't as impressed.

I didn't like it as much as I wish I did but it had some strong moments and is overall a real fun film to watch. I think my issue is that it was kind of the granddaddy of "Mysterious girl with magic powers and connection to secret lost civilization" plot line that is really popular in RPGs so it felt a bit predictable but that's what happens when the film isn't released until almost twenty years after its initial release.

Vyk
08-05-2014, 09:07 PM
I loved a lot of it. I think it's probably was a little too much realism with shady guys kidnapping and plotting wars, rather than actual magickal goings on and a war already happening. It was really downplayed. But downplayed really well in my opinion. It let you experience the characters and the world more. And I've always loved Miyazaki's take on steampunk and magic. As far as atmosphere goes, this is actually the next best thing to Nausicaa in my opinion. They could practically be in the same universe. Maybe a hundred or so years different or something

Scotty_ffgamer
08-05-2014, 09:07 PM
It's probably the one I've watched the most, actually!

Rantz
08-05-2014, 10:29 PM
Actually its considered his best film on both sides of the Pacific by most critics and fans. I think the forum just wasn't as impressed.
I had no idea. I suppose I'm not as much in touch with the Miyazaki fan base as I'd like to think. :shobon:

blackmage_nuke
08-06-2014, 03:07 AM
It's one of the ones that I actually enjoyed watching as opposed to "I can see why other people like this but Im not feeling it"

Quindiana Jones
08-06-2014, 11:41 AM
I love it dearly. :)

chionos
08-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Certainly not the best, but definitely up there. Top 10 for sure. Maybe not even in the top 5 for me, but considering what films ARE in the top five, that's not an insult.