PDA

View Full Version : Towels

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
08-06-2014, 11:55 PM
So, we got into a weird semi-discussion at work about how often one uses a single towel. Apparently I am out of the norm for only drying myself once or twice before washing it.

How many times do you dry yourself with a single towel after you bathe?
What is the norm? Has a numerical difference ever caused tension between yourself and a significant other?

08-07-2014, 01:00 AM
I dont think thats out of the norm at all. When i was living with my family id only use a towel 2-3 times max.

That said im currently living with my partner and we go through ~3 towels a week. However since we don't pay too much attention we might end up both using the same towel most of the week before realising how grim its gotten. Mostly this is down to us only having a few towels and being too lazy to wash them more than once a week.

noxious.sunshine
08-07-2014, 05:14 AM
Yeah, I will use a towel until I can smell a "mildewy" smell. But I never use a towel to like dry my hair with (I wring my hair out as best as I can and then tie it up in my knot), so that stretches out towel use quite a bit.

And right now, Jay and I have our laundry done like once every other week and we'll use our same towels pretty much that whole time. I mean, you're clean when you use them.. Just make sure you hang them to dry so that air will be well circulated through the material (like spreading them over the shower curtain rod).. That's what mostly keeps the smellies away. When you wad up a towel and throw it in a corner, then it creates the mildew.

Pumpkin
08-07-2014, 05:20 AM
We take a shower everyday and I switch out towels once a week

Mo-Nercy
08-07-2014, 08:07 AM
I switch them out weekly, but that's only a habit I picked up after I had moved in with my then-girlfriend. Prior to that, I used to use same towel for weeks and weeks...maybe even a month or so.

I don't think I've ever washed my gym towel either. O_O

Quindiana Jones
08-07-2014, 08:50 AM
You can wash towels?! :o

Seriousness aside, I'm pretty bad with it. I'll use it until I feel it's just making me dirtier as I dry. xD

sharkythesharkdogg
08-07-2014, 01:25 PM
I'm a guy that really apprecaites neat, tidy, orderly things I suppose. So left on my own, I think I used to wash my towel after using it 3-4 times at the most.

Also, what do you do with the towel once it's too dirty to dry off with? I move it to the floor in front of the shower stall. The one that was already on the floor goes to the hamper, and a fresh towel goes on the rack.

I can't be the only one that follows this rotation, but shion prefers specific towels for the floor.

Ergroilnin
08-07-2014, 01:38 PM
I use the same towel twice before washing it. First time I use it for my head and body, second time on my legs, butt n stuff and then I get new one.

Also, what do you do with the towel once it's too dirty to dry off with? I move it to the floor in front of the shower stall. The one that was already on the floor goes to the hamper, and a fresh towel goes on the rack.

I can't be the only one that follows this rotation, but shion prefers specific towels for the floor.

Damn I posted before I read your comment. It's pretty much the same rotation for me :D

Uchu
08-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Has a numerical difference ever caused tension between yourself and a significant other?

That made me laugh.. has this actually happened?

As for me, usually 2 or 3 times.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
08-08-2014, 06:05 AM
I use a towel once. No particular reason. I take it to my bedroom with me and when I want to take a shower the next day, I just get another towel from the closet.

Throw it in the hamper. Let the hamper fill for a week or two then do a load of towels in the wash :monster:

Shiny
08-08-2014, 07:09 AM
I literally cannot understand people who use their towels more than once. I think that's smurfing disgusting. I mean understand they don't want to do laundry or only have one towel, but just get a set of towels. My bf uses his and only washes it once or twice a month. It always smells horrible because of that. I come from a household where we have a closet full of towels so there is no excuse for you to reuse it.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
08-08-2014, 04:58 PM
I've gotten to the point where I don't like to use a towel more than twice. After that they get a funky smell. And I've got four towels, so it works out perfectly if I use one every two days.

Though I'm prolly going to need to get a couple more for gym towels...

fire_of_avalon
08-08-2014, 05:15 PM
Maybe this is gross but I use it til it gets the slightest hint of funk, which is once a week probably. I am going to rub my towels all over shiny.

chionos
08-08-2014, 06:05 PM
This thread could get out of hand if CKs aren't careful. I mean, foa's rubbing towels on Shiny now, there's all this talk of funk, what's next?

I use separate towels for different body parts. I don't want scrote water on my face! So one towel for head/face, one for torso, etc. I guess there's a flaw in my system, because the next day I just rotate the towels. So torso towel becomes leg/crotch towel becomes head towel becomes torso towel. But, in my defense, there's like a whole day in between, so the funk on each towel is like all dried up and won't be as likely to rub off on me. Yesterday's faded junk funk on my face is acceptable. Today's fresh junk funk is not.

You see how this thread could get out of hand. Do you SEE!?

Ergroilnin
08-09-2014, 08:32 AM
This thread could get out of hand if CKs aren't careful. I mean, foa's rubbing towels on Shiny now, there's all this talk of funk, what's next?

I use separate towels for different body parts. I don't want scrote water on my face! So one towel for head/face, one for torso, etc. I guess there's a flaw in my system, because the next day I just rotate the towels. So torso towel becomes leg/crotch towel becomes head towel becomes torso towel. But, in my defense, there's like a whole day in between, so the funk on each towel is like all dried up and won't be as likely to rub off on me. Yesterday's faded junk funk on my face is acceptable. Today's fresh junk funk is not.

You see how this thread could get out of hand. Do you SEE!?

Eh why not just use one towel, start with head, then torso, then junk O_o

Dat Matt
08-09-2014, 10:21 AM
... I can't remember the last time I washed my towel. I should probably go do that.

Damn you Eyes On. Making me productive!

Shorty
08-10-2014, 03:40 AM
Maybe 2-3 times.

Araciel
08-10-2014, 07:38 AM
Those of you who use your towel less than 3 times are just killing everything for no good reason.

:hippie:

Kalevala
08-14-2014, 09:42 AM
When it begins to have the consistency of cardboard.

Bubba
08-14-2014, 10:46 AM
Yeah, three times is about right. Just using one once when essentially all your doing is drying your freshly clean self makes no sense. I don't have time to be washing seven smurfing towels a week. My weekly wash is big enough already as it is. At least my thongs don't take up much room.

Pike
08-14-2014, 11:17 AM
I do more than just reuse my towel. I keep it with me at all times, especially when traveling.

You see, a towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have. Partly it has great practical value — you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble‐sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand‐to‐hand‐combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindbogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you — daft as a bush, but very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: nonhitchhiker) discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, washcloth, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet-weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitchhiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitchhiker might have accidentally "lost.". What the strag will think is that any man that can hitch the length and breadth of the Galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through and still know where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

Bubba
08-14-2014, 12:23 PM
I do more than just reuse my towel. I keep it with me at all times, especially when traveling.

You see, a towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have. Partly it has great practical value — you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble‐sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand‐to‐hand‐combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindbogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you — daft as a bush, but very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: nonhitchhiker) discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, washcloth, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet-weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitchhiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitchhiker might have accidentally "lost.". What the strag will think is that any man that can hitch the length and breadth of the Galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through and still know where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

It can also be used as a make-shift cape.

Pike
08-14-2014, 05:07 PM
It can also be used as a make-shift cape.

You sound like a real hoopy of a frood!

Nate
08-14-2014, 05:11 PM
I might go 4 days, but once it starts to smell, it goes in the wash. But if it ever touches the floor wet, that's a trip to wash too.

Quindiana Jones
08-15-2014, 11:16 AM
I would like to live with Shiny, because she would make me take better care of myself.

For about three weeks, after which she will most certainly execute me.

chionos
08-15-2014, 03:59 PM
I would like to live with Shiny, because she would make me take better care of myself.

For about three weeks, after which she will most certainly execute me.

That's very optimistic of you, to think you'd last three weeks.

Quindiana Jones
08-15-2014, 06:14 PM
Well, I'd have locked myself in a cupboard for the first two, obviously.

Newmani
08-15-2014, 07:59 PM
I can't really dry myself with just one towel. The three feet of hair soaks up water like a sponge. :eep:

So instead I use three towels. One to dry myself in the shower, one to finish drying my body off, and a third one for the hair.

Dat Matt
08-15-2014, 08:09 PM
I changed my towel today because of this god damn thread I hope you're all happy.

Newmani
08-15-2014, 09:36 PM
I changed my towel today because of this god damn thread I hope you're all happy.
As a general rule, if the towel is soiled to the point of blackness, completely stiff, or covered in fungus, you should probably wash thoroughly with detergent, a cup of disenfectant and a prayer.

If the towel lets off an odor between the range of the rotting corpse of a decaying skunk and a landfill, call a hazmat team and prepare an incendiary device and a wooden stake.

Dat Matt
08-16-2014, 12:07 AM
What do I do if it gets to the point where I have two separate towels because a hole has torn clean through my origonal towel, is now coloured lilac and it smells like seabass?

Newmani
08-16-2014, 12:53 AM
What do I do if it gets to the point where I have two separate towels because a hole has torn clean through my origonal towel, is now coloured lilac and it smells like seabass?
Congratulations, your continuous use of the towel in question has made it metamorphose into a pair of rotting fish fillets. Dispose of them with holy water, an incendiary device, and a crucifix.

sonormatt
08-21-2014, 03:04 PM
My partner and I use ours for maybe 2 weeks at a time. I don't think that's any worse though than wearing the same clothes all day.

Ergroilnin
08-21-2014, 03:28 PM
My partner and I use ours for maybe 2 weeks at a time. I don't think that's any worse though than wearing the same clothes all day.

Imo that depends on the everyday hygiene. If you shower every day + use deodorant + sleep in separate set of clothes every day, then it's okay using same clothes week or two at the time.

However, if you're like me, extremely sweating, no matter what you do, using same shirt two or max three days at a time is unforgivable.

Shiny
08-21-2014, 07:36 PM
Note to self: stay at least two feet away from all of you during the 2016 meetup.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-21-2014, 08:53 PM
I'm fashioning my towel into a "funk toga" and giving you a bear hug. After I run a few laps around the building first.

I'll also make sure to eat lots of kimchi and gefilte fish the week before the meet up.