PDA

View Full Version : That was fun, but really should have been on this system...

Wolf Kanno
08-09-2014, 02:28 AM
Ever play a game that was mediocre to pretty good but you kind of felt it would have been better had it been made for a different console or maybe a handheld or vice versa?

escobert
08-09-2014, 02:39 AM
Every game should be made for PC! :p

Pumpkin
08-09-2014, 02:44 AM
I'm thinking that of Tales of the Abyss right now :P The controls are a bit of a downgrade from Xillia, so it would have been neat to see what they could have accomplished with it on the PS3.

DMKA
08-09-2014, 02:48 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9a/Kingdom_Hearts_Birth_by_Sleep_Boxart.jpg

The whole time I was playing it I couldn't get the fact out of my head that it was originally to be a PS2 game, and I really wished it had stayed a PS2 game.

I've felt the same way about every single handheld game I've ever played that wasn't a puzzle game.

Wolf Kanno
08-09-2014, 02:49 AM
Every game should be made for PC! http://home.eyesonff.com/images/eoff_smilies/tongue.gif

You reminded me of something I meant to add to this.

I'm thinking more in lines of games that would benefit more from the console, not the ones people are butthurt about cause they want to play it but don't want to buy a system for it. :p

Several of Square-Enix's "pushing the envelope" games for handhelds for instance are titles I see working better on a console than on the handhelds they were released on because I rarely felt the games made good use of the functions of the handheld. Crisis Core for instance could have benefited from the extra hardware for better enemy, environment, and mission variety but was limited by the hardware. 358/2 is a pretty decent KH game that has to deal with an awful camera due to the DS controller layout and the system could barely handle the environments and combat.

DMKA
08-09-2014, 02:52 AM
Several of Square-Enix's "pushing the envelope" games for handhelds for instance are titles I see working better on a console than on the handhelds they were released on because I rarely felt the games made good use of the functions of the handheld. Crisis Core for instance could have benefited from the extra hardware for more better enemy, environment, and mission variety but was limited by the hardware. 358/2 is a pretty decent KH game that has to deal with an awful camera due to the DS controller layout and the system could barely handle the environments and combat.
I've always wondered why, with the exception of the terrible FFVII/FFVIII PC ports, there are virtually zero FF-style turn-based RPGs on the PC. o__O

Vyk
08-09-2014, 05:33 PM
I've always wondered that too. Is it possible consoles are more popular in Japan than computers?? I know there's Anachronox and ... that one game... Septerra Core. But they weren't made in Japan, so they're not really traditional. Just borrow a lot of traditions in that vein

I think I'd play Fire Emblem: Awakening more if it were on a console for some reason. Same with Bravely Default, sadly. My hands and back tend to hurt after playing handhelds for more than an hour or so. I can never find a comfortable position, and my 3DS has a jagged edge along the bottom from a battery cover that isn't molded quite perfectly. I'm constantly debating on taking it off and filing the edge a bit

I was sad when Valkyria Chronicles went portable-only. I wouldn't mind playing the other two on a console. But I guess that's a blessing in disguise since at least the PSP they were able to make a patch for. I haven't heard of any unreleased PS3 games getting patched. And not a lot of people hack their PS3. Too expensive to mess up

I kinda wish the traditional Castlevania games hadn't went handheld only as well. I realize they'd barely cause a blip on the processing power of newer consoles, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be available on newer consoles. It's all about the fun and experience rather than graphical fidelity. Not to mention the music would be a lot better for most of them

I'm sure I can come up with more

Wolf Kanno
08-09-2014, 06:41 PM
I've always wondered that too. Is it possible consoles are more popular in Japan than computers?? I know there's Anachronox and ... that one game... Septerra Core. But they weren't made in Japan, so they're not really traditional. Just borrow a lot of traditions in that vein

It is a bit odd but I guess when you grow up in the central hub of console gaming you don't think about using your PC for other things. I never realized how popular PC gaming myself was until I met people from countries that never saw whole console releases or had huge swaths of games never see release in their countries so the emulation scene filled the void. No wonder Europe was impressed with VII, those people were denied all the cool RPGs that came before.

I think I'd play Fire Emblem: Awakening more if it were on a console for some reason. Same with Bravely Default, sadly. My hands and back tend to hurt after playing handhelds for more than an hour or so. I can never find a comfortable position, and my 3DS has a jagged edge along the bottom from a battery cover that isn't molded quite perfectly. I'm constantly debating on taking it off and filing the edge a bit

I was sad when Valkyria Chronicles went portable-only. I wouldn't mind playing the other two on a console. But I guess that's a blessing in disguise since at least the PSP they were able to make a patch for. I haven't heard of any unreleased PS3 games getting patched. And not a lot of people hack their PS3. Too expensive to mess up

I kinda wish the traditional Castlevania games hadn't went handheld only as well. I realize they'd barely cause a blip on the processing power of newer consoles, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be available on newer consoles. It's all about the fun and experience rather than graphical fidelity. Not to mention the music would be a lot better for most of them

I'm sure I can come up with more

A good part of this is because console gaming is not as popular in Japan as it is in the West. Handhelds and Mobile gaming are far more popular hence why developers from Japan tend to focus on them and have slowly begun to abandon the consoles. It's helped that handheld gaming don't carry the stigma of having to be a game that shows off the power of the console which is often expensive and a risky business move considering how fickle and large the gaming community has become. They're a huge gaming market but their lifestyle no longer makes it practical to spend down time playing a console, especially if you're commuting all the time. Hence why mobile gaming is huge over there not to mention no matter how often people feel handhelds are losing to the mobile market, Nintendo releases Pokemon and everyone kind of shut ups about it. The Japanese gaming culture has just seriously shifted in the last ten years to accommodate the lifestyles of their core fanbase and my guess is that instead of throwing a bone to Western fans, they are more concerned about trying to figure out why Western fans have been so resistant to the shift to mobile.

Slothy
08-09-2014, 06:46 PM
Every game should be made for PC! http://home.eyesonff.com/images/eoff_smilies/tongue.gif

I'm thinking more in lines of games that would benefit more from the console, not the ones people are butthurt about cause they want to play it but don't want to buy a system for it. :p

All games can directly benefit from being made for PC. It is a hardware lovers and modders paradise.

Wolf Kanno
08-09-2014, 06:54 PM

All games can directly benefit from being made for PC. It is a hardware lovers and modders paradise.

It's irrelevant cause most games make it there anyway eventually whether being actually ported or emulated so I don't see the point in whining about it. :p

Ayen
08-09-2014, 07:19 PM
I never thought this.

Slothy
08-09-2014, 07:35 PM

It's irrelevant cause most games make it there anyway eventually whether being actually ported or emulated so I don't see the point in whining about it. :p

Actually, considering most console to PC ports suck it actually is worth whining about.

Vyk
08-10-2014, 02:49 AM
This is why I super duper hope Vita TV becomes a thing, and comes to America. I will totally lay down $100 for it. Playing PSP and Vita games on my TV. Hell. Freaking. Yeah. Corpse Party and Persona 4 Golden justify that alone

Wolf Kanno
08-10-2014, 05:25 AM

Actually, considering most console to PC ports suck it actually is worth whining about.

That's why you wait for the emulation version.