PDA

View Full Version : The Giver

Jinx
08-09-2014, 11:12 PM
So, this movie comes out next Friday. Who's going to see it? :D

Denmark and I are seeing it on Saturday. I'm really nervous that they'll screw it up. Still, Lois Lowry gave it a pretty shining review.

Shorty
08-10-2014, 03:01 AM
Never read the book, probably won't see the movie. :o

Jinx
08-10-2014, 03:16 AM
Wow, you've never read it? I thoroughly recommend it. It's a beautiful, brilliant novel. I re-read it every few years, and I have to say, it's aged very well. A lot of the books I read when I was younger I still enjoy, but a lot of my enjoyment comes from nostalgia.

Plus, the book is only like 200 pages. I know I'm a super fast reader, but I really don't doubt that you could read it in one sitting.

Denmark
08-10-2014, 03:21 AM
yeah, read the book A++ would recommend

i'm curious to see how the movie will stack up to the book. it's been a few years since i've read it but i have read it many a time

DarkBahamut
08-10-2014, 04:07 AM
Can someone please explain the book more? I read it couple of years back in school.

I'm trying to remember how it is that they don't understand color or emotions such as strength or weakness, etc.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
08-10-2014, 04:24 AM
I need to read this book again.

Jinx
08-10-2014, 05:22 AM
Strength and weakness are an emotion?

I don't think she ever really put a SCIENCE to it. Just the explanation that people chose sameness because it was safe. There's a why, but not really a how. In the context of this particular book, it's not really important.

Araciel
08-10-2014, 07:29 AM
yeah i can't see it being very good, even considering (and probably because of) the source material.

will download in a few months.

escobert
08-10-2014, 04:33 PM
I'll watch it eventually but, that was such a great book I can't help but feel they'll ruin it.

Sephex
08-11-2014, 08:49 AM
My High School made us read the book. At the time I treated it like any other book they forced us to read, but once I figured out it wasn't the typical High School reading material, I found myself fascinated with the book. Not sure if I will see the movie in the theater or not, but I am sure I will see the film at some point.

blackmage_nuke
08-11-2014, 09:05 AM
I thought the book was ok a bit tame for a distopia. To be fair I only read it once in highschool so maybe I'll appreciate it more if I re-read it. I can see it being a good movie. After all Pleasantville is a good movie.
I didnt read the sequels.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-11-2014, 06:35 PM
From the looks of the trailer, it doesn't seem like it will have much to do with the book.

It looks more like the movie has a typical dystopian society plot/theme combined with elements of The Running Man. So not close at all.

Speaking of which, The Running Man isn't much like the book either. :-/ Whaddyagonnado?

Pumpkin
08-11-2014, 06:36 PM
I'm not going to watch it. I love that book and I read it during a very emotional time and I know I'm going to hate whatever changes they make so I'm just not even going to see what they do.

Kalevala
08-14-2014, 09:12 AM
I doubt I'll see this one. Not a fan of the book.

Jinx
08-17-2014, 09:23 PM
Just got back. It's actually very, very good.

McLovin'
08-17-2014, 09:39 PM
Just got back. It's actually very, very good.

RT gave it 30% lol.

Jinx
08-17-2014, 09:52 PM
At least for me personally, RT isn't an indicator of what makes a good or bad movie.

Nate
08-18-2014, 12:45 AM
I read this in school and it had a few interesting themes to it. I'll probably catch it as a rental.

I didn't know it was like a sorta-trilogy though.

Jinx
08-18-2014, 12:53 AM
Quadrilogy!

er

there's four books

DMKA
08-18-2014, 01:28 AM
I watched it at a friend's house today. It was awful. :p

Depression Moon
08-18-2014, 03:50 AM
This book sounds familiar like something I read in school, not sure. Not going to see the movie unless I'm sure and if so until I remember any of it so I can compare the film vs the book.

Colonel Angus
08-18-2014, 04:42 AM
Never heard of this book until the movie came out.

08-30-2014, 08:19 PM
I read the book last night. I'd forgotten how good it was. I'm going to go see this today.

deepdoop
08-30-2014, 08:26 PM
At least for me personally, RT isn't an indicator of what makes a good or bad movie.

Yeah. I sometimes check out RT to see what people are saying, and a good or bad rating can lessen or heighten my excitement, but ultimately I'm going into a movie, leaving my expectations at the door (the best I can) and just watching it.

The last few movies I saw in the theatre -- TMNT, The Giver, Sin City 2 -- all have terrible ratings but they're all good movies. That's not me being easy on movies, I just don't see the hate.

08-31-2014, 12:01 AM
Wow. I thought this was an outstanding movie. It definitely does the book justice. The film stays very true to the feel of the book. I never really felt like anything was taken away in place of some movie magic.
Obviously it wasn't a perfect image from the book, but it did very well. The only things that I flat out didn't like was that they changed the 'Receiver' gene from being pale eyes to a birthmark, which makes much less sense to me.
I did enjoy the ending more than the books. It felt more complete. The book leaves you wondering what is real and what happens in the Community. The movie shows that aspect much more fully.
Fantastic movie.

Also, I believe it is called a quartet, not a quadrilogy. ;) I also have not read any of the sequels. I never even knew they existed.

Jinx
08-31-2014, 12:07 AM
I was being facetious when I posted that, you goon. :p

Also, the other four books aren't about Jonas as a main character. I haven't read the last one, but I've read the second and third. They're okay at best.

deepdoop
08-31-2014, 01:09 AM
Obviously it wasn't a perfect image from the book, but it did very well.

I'm not sure why so many people want book adaptations to be exactly the same anyway. Obviously a movie needs to keep core concepts and whatnot, but I like seeing people re-imagine books. If I go into a movie and I know exactly what's going to happen it loses some of its appeal.

What's not cool is something like Priest. The manhwa was fantastic, had a Western Gothic feel to it, was mature, blah blah, and then the movie came out and it was pretty much nothing like the book. At that point it's buying up the license just to possibly have some name recognition.