PDA

View Full Version : Tales of the Abyss

Pumpkin
08-11-2014, 05:33 PM
So I've been playing since Friday and I'm really enjoying it! I'm up to the fight with Gloomietta which is... a challenge and a half. So I'm grinding and getting some better equipment.

I'd heard from a few people that Luke is super annoying but he wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected.

Anyone else a fan of this game?

Agent Proto
08-11-2014, 05:40 PM
I really enjoyed this game! As for Luke, I would say that in the first half of the game he was rather annoying, but he changes his tune after an important event and he became more likeable.

Rez09
08-11-2014, 06:50 PM
I had the opposite opinion of Luke, actually, and found him utterly intolerable for the second half of the game; my dislike was enough that I haven't touched the game since finishing it the first time. Fun game, though, and I liked the FoF mechanic in battle, even if it trivialized combat a bit.

Pumpkin
08-11-2014, 09:56 PM
Van is coming off as very creepy and manipulative o.o

Vyk
08-11-2014, 11:24 PM
I really want to play this game. But that'll be a someday thing. I had been warned about Luke, so I was simply passing along that warning in case there was anything concrete to it. Though people still love his character development. And I secretly love Tales games. And kinda sad that Xillia is the only one I've finished. I think I've been deprived. Especially since it's one of the least liked ones by fans, I think I have a completely different perspective than its normal fans, so maybe I'll enjoy more the ones that aren't as well loved. Or the ones that haven't come over yet. Tales of Innocence is really enjoyable to me so far. The two main characters aren't extremely typical and kinda entertaining so you don't immediately hate someone like is prone to happen in some JRPGs. And the combat doesn't feel as slow as some of the other ones (I was prepared, but honestly surprised at how slow Vesperia felt after Xillia)

Sadly I'm having to fight with Innocence, because after an hour and a half, it didn't record my save. And it takes a good half hour to get to a point in the beginning where you even can save. So having to replay it all is a chore. Hopefully it saves the second time >.>

And once I'm done with that and Xillia 2, Abyss is my next destination

Pumpkin
08-11-2014, 11:35 PM
I didn't know fans didn't like Xillia. I quite enjoyed it! After this one I'm planning on playing Symphonia

Agent Proto
08-12-2014, 12:12 AM
If you enjoyed the "free run" that Tales of the Abyss offers when you battle, you may have a hard time adjusting to Tales of Symphonia since that isn't available. I really love how easy it was to avoid/dodge attacks on Tales of the Abyss.

Vyk
08-12-2014, 01:14 AM
I didn't know fans didn't like Xillia. I quite enjoyed it!
I really shouldn't generalize the fanbase, but that is indeed the impression I got while scouring over information on GameFAQs and such while/after playing Xillia. Everyone was ragging on it for being too hyper-active and having bland characters and whatnot. Vesperia seemed to be the biggest favorite, with Symphonia and Abyss tagging closely behind I believe. Graces wasn't that highly regarded as well. But then again, it's GameFAQs. Take it with a grain of salt. They're obviously wrong anyway. Xillia was stellar

Lone Wolf Leonhart
08-12-2014, 02:27 AM
I plan on getting this for the 3DS. It's one of those games that I've wanted to play but just haven't gotten around to yet. Tales of Xillia 2 comes out in a week and I'll for sure be playing that shortly after release. I've played a lot of Tales games that have made their way stateside so I'll eventually get to this one!

Pumpkin
08-18-2014, 08:44 PM
Grand Chokmah is gorgeous :flirt:

Dat Matt
08-19-2014, 06:10 PM
I didn't know fans didn't like Xillia. I quite enjoyed it!
I really shouldn't generalize the fanbase, but that is indeed the impression I got while scouring over information on GameFAQs and such while/after playing Xillia. Everyone was ragging on it for being too hyper-active and having bland characters and whatnot. Vesperia seemed to be the biggest favorite, with Symphonia and Abyss tagging closely behind I believe. Graces wasn't that highly regarded as well. But then again, it's GameFAQs. Take it with a grain of salt. They're obviously wrong anyway. Xillia was stellar

Xillia was good fun but my god it was short. We finished main story + extras in <50 hours, so the point where we could say we've seen all there was to see and shelved it. Tales of graces on the other other lasted us 125+ hours before we shelved that.

I should really get back to tales of the Abyss. I started playing it on the 3DS seen as us limey fellows didn't get it on the PS2.

Freya
08-26-2014, 04:29 PM
I only played half of this game cause I found him annoying. Maybe I should have stuck it out.

Agent Proto
08-29-2014, 10:04 AM
You should have stuck out with it, Freya! He gets better in the second half, imho.

Yellow_Magic
08-30-2014, 05:32 PM
Played it on the 3DS and actually enjoyed it (which I didn't think I would, as I'd heard bad things about Tales games previously), despite Luke being....Luke (and honestly, I never really liked him, even in the second half of the game). Very solid jRPG all-round, although I wasn't fond at all of all the backtracking.

Wolf Kanno
08-31-2014, 01:07 AM
I plan on playing it after I finish Tales of Symphonia.