PDA

View Full Version : What's So Bad About Mondays?

The Ceej
08-12-2014, 07:24 AM
Garfield hates Mondays. So do the Mamas, the Papas, and even the Bangles. Monday is the butt of way too many jokes. Monday is underrated.

Fine, it's the first day back to work for the boring 9-5ers of the world (it's part of my weekend, generally, but I'm a different breed of cat), so those folks have one legitimate complaint. Other than force people who hate their jobs back to a new work week, what has Monday ever done to anyone?

Monday hasn't done anything to me since I graduated from high school. I welcome it. It's a time to let my voice heal from the weekend, it's a good laundry day, a good grocery day, an all around good errand day in general, as well as a good lazy day...

Then, every now and then, you get Monday this week. You think, "I'm gonna go to this comedy show. I don't know why it's on a Monday, but I'm not complaining. Myq Kaplan, and Zach Sherwin, and three of my friends are going to be on stage, and most of my other friends are going to be watching it. It'll be fun..."

But, you had no idea how fun... First of all, you look at the door, wonder if your friend, Mark Bentley, has arrived yet, and you walk to the door and open it. As you do, in walks Myq Kaplan who says to you, "Hi. I'm supposed to talk to somebody here..."

You're the first person in the place Myq has spoken to, and you're trying to contain the fact you're as giddy as a 14-year-old school girl who just got text messaged by Justin Bieber... You don't want him to know that, of course, so you just reply, "You're supposed to talk to Scott Eason. Let me find him for you. There he is."

So, you make your way back to your table, you let your giddiness out, and your friends raz you for a bit, but it's all in fun, and they're really happy for you. Then the show starts. It's funnier than you expected and, near the end, Myq addresses you from the stage, and then does a 10-minute improv bit just on you! You feel special that you're being roasted on the spot by such a big name...

Then, at the very end, Myq wants to do an epic rap battle with Zach, and he once again calls on you for the topic and does another ten minutes on your idea, which was Super Mario Bros., joined later by Ice Tea (the part of Ice Tea is played by Patrick Cunningham who, IMO, is better than the real Ice Tea).

And you're having quite possibly the best night you've had in over a year (which says a lot after the nights you had at the Coppertopia Roast Of Patrick Cunningham and the New Years show), but it's not over yet...

You meet Myq and Zach after the show and make friends with them! And you have the most amazing conversation you've had with a celebrity, even more amazing than the ones with Weird Al! They not only let you get your picture with them, but Myq even asks for your business card! Terra Jeffrey even says you should use that picture for your Facebook avatar...

And, so, on the drive home, you're afraid you're going to get pulled over for DUI. You imagine saying, "No, Officer, I'm not drunk. I'm high. On dopamine!" But, you still drive really careful because you know he won't believe you. After all, it's Monday. And everybody knows Monday sucks.

But, maybe this is all just me...

I've included the picture I referred to, and I'm gonna need a topic. So, tell me about the best Monday you've ever had.

arenzi
08-12-2014, 02:30 PM
I used to love Mondays during the summers back in school because it was the start of the week and I could get things done or go out. Unfortunately I don't like it anymore because I hate having a 9-5 Monday to Friday job. The only good things about Mondays now are the TV shows I watch at night. Yesterday I did go out for a walk since I took the day off. That was probably the best Monday I've had in a while. I love it when I don't go to work. I'm so much more productive.

Noire
08-12-2014, 03:37 PM
I've never minded Monday. The start of the week might mean you have four more days to work, but it also means that any misery from last week is behind you - and last weekend is fresh in your mind - and you've got the whole week to look forward to. New week, new start, etc. Strangely optimistic for me, but that's always been the way I've looked at it. I'm unemployed right now so every day of the week is more or less the same to me, although I still retain this feeling to a degree, because my outpatient appointments are all on a Monday, so once I get those out the way I've got the whole week to forget about them!

Now, Tuesday...that was the day I hated when I worked. Last weekend didn't seem quite so recent, and the next was horribly far off. Three more days of monotony after this. Nothing good ever happened on Tuesday, either.

Freya
08-12-2014, 03:44 PM
At my old job, I loathed it. It was the busiest day of the entire week. Everyone would freak out about not being able to get a hold of us over the weekend so they all called first thing monday. Because they were all calling in, it made a long wait time, which just made people more angry. Then all day you'd just have angry yelling people. All day, and you just got back to work from your nice relaxing weekend to have people yell at you first thing in the morning. It was horrible.

Now, it's not bad because I like my job. Monday means I have work to do and am not going out of my mind. I don't think i've had a best monday ever. Nothing memorable. I just know I don't hate them as much.

Shorty
08-12-2014, 04:36 PM
My best Mondays have included being absent from work for one thing or another.

The Man
08-12-2014, 04:56 PM
I don't work Mondays right now, so I don't mind them so much at the moment, but when I do, they suck.

The Ceej
08-12-2014, 06:01 PM
Nothing good ever happened on Tuesday, either.

That's not true. From 1991-1998, Home Improvement aired nearly every Tuesday night. Including about 24 new episodes per year.

Cloudane
08-12-2014, 06:29 PM
I'm one of those boring 9-5 people ;) Well, 8-5 actually. And as much as I'd love a job where I go "woohoo! Time for work!" those seem rather rare and so like many I am stuck disliking 5/7ths of my life but acknowledging it as necessarily for existing and for enjoying the other 2/7ths.

So naturally yeah I hate Mondays as they represent the start of the long sucky part of the week!

If it wasn't for that I'd probably love Mondays as they represent a fresh start and a whole new week of my awesome life :jess:

Depression Moon
08-12-2014, 08:18 PM
Mondays mean I have class and I don't really want to go though this time I only have one on Mondays.

Sephiroth
08-12-2014, 08:29 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVzAMmpMra8

noxious.sunshine
08-12-2014, 08:33 PM

That's not true. From 1991-1998, Home Improvement aired nearly every Tuesday night. Including about 24 new episodes per year.

Oh man. So much this. <3

I'm not working right now, so Mondays don't bother me.

Sundays on the other hand.. I don't like them. But I also go through phases with it. I used to love Sundays. My ex's family and I would grill out and make carne asada tacos and shrimp cocktail and drink beer and stuff. It was like.. Family Day and stuff. :D

Formalhaut
08-12-2014, 09:09 PM
If it wasn't for that I'd probably love Mondays as they represent a fresh start and a whole new week of my awesome life :jess:

This is how I tend to view Mondays. If the week past was crap, then at least this week may be better. If the week past was great, hopefully this new week can build on that!

Colonel Angus
08-13-2014, 12:06 AM
Not a fan of Mondays. Ever since I was a kid I didn't like them. Sundays during the NFL off season are also brutal. I wish the Bangles would explain how Sundays could be their "fun day" when you have the looming harbinger of doom in Monday hanging over your head.

The Ceej
08-13-2014, 12:45 AM
I wish the Bangles would explain how Sundays could be their "fun day" when you have the looming harbinger of doom in Monday hanging over your head.

Or how they bring out all the rioting idiots who get violently obsessed over a freaking game!

Sundays during the NFL season are also brutal.

Oh, right. You covered that. But you're gonna have to take that one up with the Bangles.

No... I didn't edit that quote... >.>

~*~Celes~*~
08-13-2014, 08:31 AM
Monday is old people day at work. Most old people are grumpy, impatient, greedy, and disrespectful. Also they come in flocks. They refuse to read the sale signs and prefer to assume that you will just give them what they want to be on sale instead of what actually is. This is why I hate Mondays :(

Cloudane
08-13-2014, 10:45 AM
Always surprises me how impatient old folks tend to be as well. You're retired now, you've got all day, chill out!
(I suppose it's perhaps the increased awareness at that point of the amount of time left in this world)

Not big on Sundays either. Laundry needs doing, out of energy from the weekend, can't drink much because work next morning.

Mirage
08-13-2014, 02:01 PM
Fine, it's the first day back to work for the boring 9-5ers of the world (it's part of my weekend, generally, but I'm a different breed of cat), so those folks have one legitimate complaint. Other than force people who hate their jobs back to a new work week, what has Monday ever done to anyone?

Why are you trying to say that this isn't already enough of a reason to hate mondays? Good for you that you don't have a "boring 9-5 life", no need to rub it in for those who are unfortunate enough to be in that situation.

I'm sure you can figure out why people in general dislike mondays when people in general go back to work on that day. Why would people in general think of monday as a great day when that just applies for a small minority?

The Ceej
09-04-2014, 11:33 PM
Always surprises me how impatient old folks tend to be as well. You're retired now, you've got all day, chill out!
(I suppose it's perhaps the increased awareness at that point of the amount of time left in this world)

Is that so? That's pretty ironic. Old people are always the ones walking so slow that even the mannequins are passing them. I like to yell out, "You don't have much time left, Grandpa! You probably don't want to waste it by walking so slow!" I like to, but I'm too nice to actually do that.

Why are you trying to say that this isn't already enough of a reason to hate mondays? Good for you that you don't have a "boring 9-5 life", no need to rub it in for those who are unfortunate enough to be in that situation.

I think you're projecting. You hate your job, your work week starts on Monday, so you project that hate to Monday to resolve the cognitive dissonance about your hate toward your job...

Look, we've all had shitty jobs. I've worked in the fast food and retail industries, and it really sucked. I hated it so much, I worked toward getting a job I actually liked. I feel for you, having a job you hate. It sucks, you dread work, but you're afraid you can't live without it...

Society pushed on me the same bull they pushed on you and everyone else. Getting paid for what you like is a pipe dream, and you're not supposed to like your job. But, deep down, you know that's just really their way of saying, "You should be as miserable as I am." Perhaps it's time to consider looking for a different line of work.

Mirage
09-05-2014, 02:02 AM
By that logic, I also don't really hate my job, I just hate the things I do at my job. If I had done something else at my job, maybe I wouldn't have hated it. Wow, such insight, much amaze.

You're wrong though. I don't think getting a job I like is a pipe dream. I'm just not currently in one. But even if I did have a job I actually enjoyed, I doubt I would enjoy it as much as I enjoy my days off from work, so I still wouldn't really like mondays, or whichever other weekday it is I am going back to work at.

Also, the line of work I would enjoy would most likely also be a kind of job that would be done between 9-17 on mondays through fridays. Can you imagine someone actually liking that, though?

No one in the entire world actually thinks mondays are inherently worse than any other day. The days of the week are just human constructs anyway. Everyone who dislikes a certain day of the week does so because that particular day brings with it things they do not enjoy. This isn't some huge mystery that no one is aware of or anything. Like I said before, "most" people dislike monday because "most" people have to go back to things they don't enjoy as much as many other things.

Cloudane
09-05-2014, 05:16 PM

Is that so? That's pretty ironic. Old people are always the ones walking so slow that even the mannequins are passing them. I like to yell out, "You don't have much time left, Grandpa! You probably don't want to waste it by walking so slow!" I like to, but I'm too nice to actually do that.

Well, to be fair, they're probably walking slowly because they're in pain and their bodies are falling apart, that happens at that age. But yeah :p

Shiny
09-06-2014, 10:24 PM
I remember a pizza commercial where a guy dressed up as Monday and all the children cried, but when Friday came in they cheered. This is how I feel about Monday.

Mirage
09-07-2014, 12:59 AM

Well, to be fair, they're probably walking slowly because they're in pain and their bodies are falling apart, that happens at that age. But yeah :p

This is why I'm going to pump my body full of HGH as I age past 50 and still have as strong muscles as when i was in my 20s

MissH
09-23-2014, 05:29 PM
It's not just Mondays that suck. It's Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday (before home time) and Sunday evenings suck a bit too :mad2:

Aulayna
09-23-2014, 05:31 PM
Mondays are my Thursday.

Ayen
09-25-2014, 06:01 AM
Monday was just always another day of the week to me, even back when it meant I'd be doing school work again. The only day of the week that stuck out was Sunday, but that's only because growing up I had to go to church.

Markus. D
09-25-2014, 08:40 AM
i'm usually hungover on a saturday/sunday so ... mondays are incredible it's like a new lease on life.

Chris
09-25-2014, 11:58 AM
The wards discharge a lot of patients on Friday so they have the weekend at home, but this means that they'll be flocking back on Monday. Hence the hullabaloo.

Slothy
09-25-2014, 12:42 PM
Not much wrong with it. Especially when you spend it mostly walking. (http://day9.tv/d/Day9/mostly-walking-the-dig-1/)

Jessweeee♪
09-26-2014, 04:41 PM
90% of my bad work days are Mondays. Mondays are when my customers at the pharmacy are unhappiest because we have problems we need to consult their doctors on from over the weekend. They wait until Friday evening to bring problems to our attention. Typically most doctor's offices won't open until 9AM monday. I open our pharmacy's gate at 9AM and our counter and our phones are immediately flooded with people wondering if it's been done yet. No. Your doctor's office has been open for literally one minute. They have not yet looked at the fax we sent to you buried under hundreds from over the weekend, they have not yet assessed your situation, they have not yet called us with their corrections, and we have not yet prepared your prescription or the dozens of others in a similar predicament that need to be done before yours. Now excuse me while I have this conversation over and over and over again for the next hour before I can get to actually filling prescriptions. And then people wonder why it takes 30-90 minutes to get their prescriptions ready.

I don't dread Mondays, in fact I go in psyched up for the challenge. Some Mondays I kick ass and I feel awesome but some Mondays I don't and it's a bummer.