PDA

View Full Version : P.T. / Silent Hills

Aulayna
08-14-2014, 03:27 PM
So if you haven't been paying attention to GamesCom you might've missed this:

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2014/08/13/p-t-was-a-codename-for-new-silent-hill-game-from-hideo-kojima-guillermo-del-toro/

I'm cautious optimistic about this as the more recent SH games have been terrible.

If the P.T. demo was anything to by... then this game is a massive heap of pant-messing nope, nope and nope. Even playing in broad daylight, it was so atmospheric that I struggled to finish it.

If you don't have a PS4, you can watch someone else play the playable teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B7rgDikl0k

Shorty
08-14-2014, 04:51 PM
Cautiously optimistic is a good way of phrasing it. I quit the series after being disgusted with minimal play of The Room and had no interest in going any further.

I'm unable to watch the trailer at work (and I don't think I would care to watch someone else narrating it the entire time, that would dissolve my immersion), but I did find a bit about it on the Silent Hill Wikia (http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Silent_Hills).

I really like this quote by Kojima and I think it's so accurate:

Honestly, I'm kind of a scaredy-cat when it comes to horror movies, so I’m not confident I can do it. At the same time, there’s a certain type of horror that only people who are scared of can create, so maybe it’s something I can do.

If this game turns into what it's capable of being, I would purchase a PS4 just for this.

Mirage
08-14-2014, 06:03 PM
Yeah, no. I mean don't get me wrong. I'm sure the game could be fantastic. The problem is that the more a game succeeds at horror, the less it is a game I am able to play. I could barely even watch the playable teaser being played by someone else, even in a small video window and the audio turned down pretty low.

Slothy
08-14-2014, 06:44 PM
Cautiously optimistic is a good way of phrasing it. I quit the series after being disgusted with minimal play of The Room and had no interest in going any further.

That's a shame since The Room was actually the last good Silent Hill.

I'm surprised by the cautious optimism though. The involvement of Kojima and del Toro alone means this is going to be something different than the more recent games, and there's no way it can be as bad as those were so I'm willing to jump straight to excitement. Let's see what a fresh pair of Japanese and Mexican hands can do for the series.

Vyk
08-15-2014, 03:24 AM
Judging by everyone's reaction alone, I'm hardly cautious. Sadly I haven't really been a fan of the series, though I've always appreciated what it brought to the table. And if they can pull it off, then it'll be an awesome experience for me. It's hard to find a truly scary game anymore. Still easier than finding a truly scary movie, though. It's really all about atmosphere though. Even after a playthrough of Dead Space or Alan Wake (both of which kept me on edge a bit just due to things lurking in shadows) I still love a good romp through them even though they're hardly unnerving anymore, simply due to the fantastic atmosphere. If people can't even watch a trailer or watch others play this, it sounds exactly like something I'd enjoy. I just hope they keep that pace with the final product and this isn't just because little snippets are easier to make an impact with

Wolf Kanno
08-15-2014, 03:56 AM
I'm actually pretty excited for this. The video of the demo was pretty intriguing and really brought together the elements I like about the Silent Hill franchise. Looks like a psychological thriller similar to SH2 and I love that. Its odd to bring in Kojima but he did help out with the new Castlevania reboot which was better than I thought it would be. Del Toro is a great choice as well and so far it looks pretty good. I didn't finish the video cause I don't really want to be spoiled anymore and hope I can play it in the future.

Elite Lord Sigma
08-15-2014, 09:05 AM
I was informed of the existence of P.T. by my cousin who also convinced me not to look up what game it was really related to before attempting to finish it. After being stuck on the final segment of the game for several hours trying to get the phone to ring, I gave up for the time being and watched the reveal on YouTube.

I've only played Homecoming, which I didn't really find all that frightening. While P.T. is not representative of what Silent Hills will be, it jolted me several times during my playthrough. A fresh take on the series might be just what Silent Hill needs.

Mo-Nercy
08-15-2014, 04:03 PM
I liked SH2, but other than that, I've never really gotten into Silent Hill. The Fatal Frame series are my favourite games for scares.

This does look good though. I think I'm going to allow myself to be excited by this. xD

Ayen
08-15-2014, 04:07 PM
Its odd to bring in Kojima but he did help out with the new Castlevania reboot which was better than I thought it would be.

Is Kojima Konami's new go to person whenever a franchise is suffering? Because that's what it's sounding like. Not that I'm complaining I was just curious.

Wolf Kanno
08-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Its odd to bring in Kojima but he did help out with the new Castlevania reboot which was better than I thought it would be.

Is Kojima Konami's new go to person whenever a franchise is suffering? Because that's what it's sounding like. Not that I'm complaining I was just curious.

He is the mastermind behind the companies best selling non-arcade franchise so yeah... I guess I should be grateful he's working on something other than MGS and maybe if this keeps up we'll see him helm a Suikoden reboot as well.

KentaRawr!
08-15-2014, 07:28 PM
The only Silent Hill I've played all the way through is Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, which wasn't scary at all. I still really liked it though. Not so much as a game, but just as a little piece of interactive fiction. :p Curious about P.T.!

Edit: Watched a bit of gameplay, and it seems like instead of taking place in Silent Hill the newest one opted to take place in Nopeville. :blush: Might not play.

Edit 2: Oh, well it's just a playable teaser. A pretty frightening teaser, if I do say so myself!

McLovin'
08-16-2014, 02:00 AM
I watched someone die in the teaser. Yeah scary shit. And there was another jump scare at another point that got me. Overall it was really creepy and disturbing and I loved it.

Shorty
08-16-2014, 07:21 PM
This thread is making me want to play the games again! I recently bought the Silent Hill 2/3 re-release package on XBox and I'm itching to play it. I wish they'd re-release the rest of the games the same way so I could try them but I realize that it's probably a pain in the ass and not worth it.

Slothy
08-16-2014, 07:27 PM
The unfortunate thing about those re-releases is that they were rushed and things like the fog effects just plain didn't work properly. Last I heard they hadn't been fixed though the PS3 version was getting a patch to fix some issues. But Konami being the useless sack of shit they are weren't patching the 360 version. Hopefully it's at least playable and somewhat enjoyable.

Shorty
08-16-2014, 07:30 PM
Well that is disappointing as all hell. No wonder it was so cheap.

edit: But the graphics sure are an improvement!

Aulayna
08-16-2014, 08:35 PM
The cool thing about the P.T. demo is it's slightly randomised too. Some of the things that happened in the video I linked, didn't happen in my playthrough, and there's also no general agreement on how to get the phone to ring at the end to trigger the actual reveal trailer -Other than hearing a baby laugh twice.

I had to give up on it though, one part of it involves trying to find a ghost (which if she catches you, kills you) and talking to it via the microphone. This got too much for me eventually and I had difficulty sleeping that night. Not due to it being scary, it was at first, but after a while it just became tedious.

DMKA
08-16-2014, 09:50 PM
I'm too much of a wuss to even finish P.T. It's creepy as hell. When I found out it was directed by the same guy who directed The Orphanage I wasn't surprised. ;__;

But what I did play of it is possibly the most realistic graphics I've ever seen in a video game. People who like genuinely creepy horror games like Amnesia should definitely check it out.

Bolivar
08-18-2014, 02:33 PM
I played it over the weekend with some friends and it's probably the coolest viral thing anyone has done in gaming. The craziest part is that there's no real consensus about how to solve the final part of the game, we still don't know how we exactly triggered it. All I know is the controller started vibrating, babies started laughing and in a few moments four grown men were screaming hysterically.

I probably won't get the final game because there's already so much coming out and I'm not a SH fan (and I scare easily) but if PT is any indication, this is very, very promising. More than anything I'm just glad that the digital storefronts have gotten to a point that they're open and accessible enough to have surprises like this, it makes me optimistic for how much creative space is left for developers.

Slothy
08-18-2014, 03:26 PM
The number of spineless wimps around these parts is disturbing. :p

Wolf Kanno
08-18-2014, 08:26 PM
I found the video fun, I love scary shit. For the first time ever I actually wish I had a PS4 to play this.

Slothy
08-18-2014, 11:19 PM
I found the video fun, I love scary shit. For the first time ever I actually wish I had a PS4 to play this.

Yeah, if there's one impressive thing about the video it's that it was the first thing I've seen that makes me think I might eventually need to buy a PS4. Nothing else has really sold me on one yet.

Shiny
08-19-2014, 08:29 PM
Metal Gear Silent Labyrinth

Psychotic
08-20-2014, 05:37 PM
Saw some videos of it. First and foremost, that looks absolutely fucking incredible graphically. Wow.

I liked what I saw. I like that kind of horror, slowly building up the madness and being a psychological mindfuck all in one go. :up: from me.

Fynn
08-23-2014, 11:18 PM
Hey, if they manage to bring Akira Yamaoka into this, I'm definitely getting a PS4 :exdee:

krissy
08-24-2014, 06:50 AM
^ yeah!
or at least the soundtrack ;)

Lone Wolf Leonhart
08-24-2014, 10:08 AM
The idea of a new Silent Hill game is enough to get me excited, but throw in Norman Reedus and i'm sold. One more reason to get a PS4 besides FFXV and KH3.

Ayen
08-24-2014, 08:54 PM
I'm excited that for the first time in the series we'll get to climb up multiple hills.

Aulayna
09-18-2014, 12:49 PM
New, nightmare-fuelled, trailer

gY91vV0rWr4

Slothy
09-18-2014, 01:21 PM
Why must I be at school and unable to view this trailer?

CimminyCricket
09-18-2014, 03:33 PM
Oh my sweet lord cheesus that was fantastic. I was so startled that I farted.

Wolf Kanno
09-18-2014, 11:04 PM
Well that was a pretty sweet trailer. I wonder if the whole game is going to be first-person view? Either way it's looking pretty fantastic.

Markus. D
09-22-2014, 10:03 PM
I really like how the recent TGS trailer showed a bunch of otherworlds taking over the walls. Ew ew ew and that flesh stairway at the end EW. I'm hoping they up the sound production (literally every sound in said trailer is royalty free) for the final release, and also that Yamaoka/KKC gets on-board to compose.

Wolf Kanno
09-22-2014, 10:26 PM
I really like how the recent TGS trailer showed a bunch of otherworlds taking over the walls. Ew ew ew and that flesh stairway at the end EW. I'm hoping they up the sound production (literally every sound in said trailer is royalty free) for the final release, and also that Yamaoka/KKC gets on-board to compose.

It seems both Team Silent members Masahiro Ito (Art Director) and Akira Yamaoka (Composer and Sound Design) have expressed interest in working with Kojima on the new game. I'm hoping Kojima and del Toro take them up on the offer, especially Yamaoka since his music is kind of iconic with the series. I'm pretty psyched for the new game to be honest. The P.T. demo kind of sold me on the idea of the game really working out and I am especially happy it looks like it will finally move away from the plot tumor that is The Order creeping up in many of the games.

Shorty
09-22-2014, 10:33 PM
How do you guys feel about this? Am I The Only One Upset At First Person ‘Silent Hills’? (http://www.onlysp.com/editorial-one-upset-first-person-silent-hills/)

I think the shift in views makes it more about the player than the specific character of the story. First-person makes it scarier but kindof takes it out of the story for me, I guess.

Wolf Kanno
09-22-2014, 10:41 PM
Considering they modeled the main character after Norman Reedus, I'll be surprised if the game is completely first-person. Of anything, I'm hoping the game may just drop combat altogether and just stick to puzzles and making you wet your pants. The demo proved this could work and its not like combat was ever the series strong point. Maybe exploring the town will be in third-person but inside buildings you switch to first person? It will be interesting to see what they do with it.

Fynn
09-22-2014, 10:42 PM
I know! I just hope they do that for the teasers only, though. Also, what's the point in making us play as Norman Reedus when we can't see him 90% of the time?:eep:

Shorty
09-22-2014, 10:44 PM
Considering they modeled the main character after Norman Reedus, I'll be surprised if the game is completely first-person. Of anything, I'm hoping the game may just drop combat altogether and just stick to puzzles and making you wet your pants. The demo proved this could work and its not like combat was ever the series strong point. Maybe exploring the town will be in third-person but inside buildings you switch to first person? It will be interesting to see what they do with it.

Combat has always been a bit awkward in the game, yeah, but... the bosses, man, the bosses!

Also yeah, the Norman Reedus as the main character bit but first person view has thrown me off as well. I'm sure they'll work it out; it seems to be having maniacal success on the web so far.

Psychotic
09-22-2014, 10:44 PM
I think that's just the way the horror game genre has gone lately. I can think of at least a dozen horror games - mostly indie or small developers it has to be said - released in the past couple of years and all of them have been first person. Silent Hill is, quite rightly, moving with the times. Third person always feels detached and can feel a bit too clunky for any action sequences (hi Resident Evil) so I don't have a problem with it.

In terms of character they can obviously switch to a third person camera for cutscenes if they feel it necessary. Kojima/Del Toro will know how to tell a good story.

Fynn
09-22-2014, 10:47 PM
And if there's something Silent Hill needs, it's an excellent story.

Scotty_ffgamer
09-23-2014, 12:16 AM
I'm just imagining a funny thing where they have Norman Reedus for the game, but then have it completely first person and leave him as a silent protagonist outside of various grunts and other noises.

As for it being in first person, I was initially not pleased with the idea. I wouldn't mind me some tank control, third person stuff. That doesn't mean I can't get behind the first person thing. There is good atmosphere in P.T. The little bit of narrative you get very much feels like Silent Hill too. Everything was very thematic, symbolic. I do still think it will be third person though, or at least it will be in cutscenes or something like that. We won't know for sure until we get closer to release though.

My only qualm with the demo, honestly, were the puzzles. The original trilogy of Silent Hill generally had some great puzzles that provided all the clues you needed to solve them right there. Some might require extra knowledge outside of the game (Shakespeare puzzle in SH3), but you still pretty much get all the clues and conveyance you need in the game to solve them. P.T. was different. I think it was purposely designed the way it was to give it more of a viral feel and to keep people talking/working together to keep hype up. That being said, it didn't have good clues or conveyance at all. I've read that some hints existed for the final puzzle (arguably), but those existed in the form of writing that appeared on the screen in another language. I don't really count those. This demo worked to prove that Kojima can do scary, atmospheric, and thematic horror. I just need to see gameplay and hope this doesn't spell out what all the puzzles will be like in the final game.

Ayen
09-23-2014, 07:09 AM
Considering how long Kojima's cut-scenes usually are I'm sure you'll see plenty of Norman.