PDA

View Full Version : Bacon

Carl the Llama
08-17-2014, 07:18 AM
How do you like your eggs bacon in the morning?

http://i.imgur.com/rCXaSj4.png
Crispy

http://i.imgur.com/XZge12T.jpg
Non-crispy

http://i.imgur.com/IlXPmXh.jpg
Raw :p

Psychotic
08-17-2014, 09:47 AM
I've noticed it's another America - Europe thing. America tends to crisp the everloving smurf out of bacon whereas for me that middle picture of bacon is the best. That being said I do know plenty of Brits who love hard crisp bacon like my dear old Dad.

maybee
08-17-2014, 11:14 AM
I don't like bacon. It's greasy and fatty, and I can't really stand the smell that it brings while cooking on the pan.

No thanks.

Levian
08-17-2014, 03:05 PM
I've been raised on burnt bacon, so it's only until recently I've learned that bacon can taste good. I prefer crispy without any black edges at all. The top picture looks perfect.

fire_of_avalon
08-17-2014, 03:55 PM
I like bacon with floppy parts and crispy parts. The top picture looks ok, the middle looks underdone, but the sweetspot is somewhere in between. Mmmm bacon.

arenzi
08-17-2014, 04:04 PM
I don't eat bacon but when I have I didn't have a preference either way.

Shorty
08-17-2014, 06:12 PM
Floppy bacon. Give it to me.

Ergroilnin
08-17-2014, 07:36 PM
I have changing opinions about bacon. There are times when I am absolutely in love with it and then there are times when I can't even smell it.

But when I go for it, then either raw cut really thin or somewhere between first and second picture.

noxious.sunshine
08-17-2014, 10:17 PM
Crispy but not burnt. All day long.

Must be low-sodium bacon though. Regular is just waaaayyy too salty for me.

I love the big huge thick slices. Takes a million years to cook them, and a pack is really expensive (like $15 or so) but omg. Get in my belly. I especially love the black pepper crusted kind.

And yes, in true Southern fashion, I save my bacon grease.

fire_of_avalon
08-18-2014, 02:59 AM
And use it to season your green beans?

Bubba
08-19-2014, 12:10 AM
FOA has the right idea.

The thick part should be a bit floppy with the small end bit crispy.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-19-2014, 08:10 PM
Yeah, the combo of crispy and floppy sounds about right to me.

Also relevant to southerners and using bacon grease as seasoning or a flavor adder like has already been mentioned. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHr2i7HiQ6s)

noxious.sunshine
08-19-2014, 08:15 PM
I use it for that and other stuff.. :D

Make biscuits & gravy, tamales, tortillas, there's a ton of stuff you can do w it.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
08-20-2014, 02:44 AM
Bacon. Yes.

I like my bacon in any bacon form.

Give me bacon.

Colonel Angus
08-20-2014, 03:45 AM
Totally agree w/ FoA. You need to find the perfect balance for the perfect bacon.

I know this is a blasphemy, but I'd like to throw my hat in for turkey bacon. I didn't think I'd like it, but man is that some good shit.

Quindiana Jones
08-20-2014, 11:57 AM
Crispy fat, soft and delicious meat with an actual meat flavour instead of an overcooked flavour. Blooming delicious.

Can't get proper bacon in China (the largest consumer of bloody pork! :mad2:). It's genuinely heartbreaking.

Iceglow
08-20-2014, 04:53 PM
I'm not kidding with my vote. I like smoked bacon (has to be smoked for health reasons and back bacon or lean) as is. It has to be super fresh like a pack opened that day and preferably one with a lot of time on the use by clock still there. After it's been opened 24 hours or so I'll only eat it cooked but trout yeah, give me them bacon slices all smoked and raw and trout! It's smurfing awesome!

When cooked, pretty much depends on the cut of the bacon, Back cuts I cook soft, streaky bacon I cook crispy.

Pumpkin
08-20-2014, 05:11 PM
crispy

Shiny
08-21-2014, 01:07 AM
Why would anyone eat raw bacon? Swine is probably one of the filthiest animals in existence, yet you choose to eat that e.coli infested meat raw?! You crazy.

Also it is totally not American to crisp your bacon or at least it's not over here, because when ever I asked for bacon they always cooked it floppy and soft, so I had to tell them to prepare it well done. That was when I ate pork bacon though. I have horrible turkey bacon now.

Iceglow
08-21-2014, 04:18 AM
ITT you should get your facts straight about pigs Shiny. This Link (http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/pig-facts-fiction.aspx) and many others will repeatedly tell you the facts of the matter. Pigs are actually one of the cleanest animals bred for food. Of course, the site linked and all others will refer to adequate space being provided. This can be hard to achieve. However, this is why countries like England and many others especially within the European Union (which unsurprisingly, has the same laws for most if not all member states on this topic) has regulatory laws governing the space requirements on farming animals. I.E. how many pigs you can have per acre of land or so forth.

Also the meat is not raw so to speak. Unsmoked bacon is completely and utterly raw. Smoked meats are by nature safer to eat (OK, I wouldn't recommend it for pregnant ladies, people with troutty constitutions or those whom simply have very little idea of what the hell they're talking about or doing) because smoking will kill most bacteria including E-coli and Salmonella.

That being said as indicated in my original post on the matter, you ought to purchase the best quality, freshest smoked bacon possible. You should also not eat it without cooking it in a pan/grill once it's been opened more than a day or so just to be safe. Essentially, eating red meats raw (which beef is another typical meat which can be eaten without cooking Reference (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_tartare)) is a bit like Sushi, if you're dumb about it... you're going to have a bad time.

LocoColt04
08-21-2014, 05:08 AM
I like bacon with floppy parts and crispy parts. The top picture looks ok, the middle looks underdone, but the sweetspot is somewhere in between. Mmmm bacon.Exactly this. I like a little crunch on the outer edge but the moisture still in the fatty edge. Nom.